StromTrooper banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I just put down a deposit for a new blue 650. Should be picking it up from Action Parramatta this Saturday, although it requires an 8 hour train trip to get to Sydney! I've been bikeless for 2 months after my bandit 1200 threw me down the road so I couldn't wait for the local dealers to get one in. I was never really happy with the bandit and regreted trading an sv650s for it. The only thing I didn't like about the sv was the ergonomics so the DL will hopefully be a great improvement.

Cheers
Spun

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First ride impressions

Here's my impressions after riding the 650 home from Sydney yesterday, and after a quick ride this afernoon.

City traffic: It's light and easy to handle at low speed, has a very responsive engine with good throttle control (much better than my old carbed sv). The tall seat and excellent mirrors makes for great vision in heavy traffic.

Boring-ass freeways: I found the ride position and seat very comfortable. The screen came fitted in the lowest position which produced a lot of wind noise, as the air was hitting my helmet right on the shoei logo. After fishing the manual and tools out from under the seat, I raised the screen to it's highest position. This pushed the air over my helmet lowering the wind noise but I did experience some buffeting. If I leant forward just a tiny bit it became very quiet. The fuel range is pretty impressive as I got to 380 km before the second warning light started blinking.

High speed sweepers: I had a slight feeling of instability on fast bends and found myself oversteering. It felt very different to the B12 on sticky sports tyres but thats to be expected. I may need to drop the forks to place some more weight on the front wheel.

Bumpy, narrow back roads: The bike was pretty stable over some very nasty tarmac, and produced only one headshake over a particlarly large bump.

All weather dirt roads: There's not enough suspension travel and compliance for rough and rocky roads, but on smoother gravel it's quite good.

Twisty mountain roads: Probably the best place for a 650 Vstrom. I was very impressed with how easy it was to ride quickly on tight bends and hairpins.

So all in all I'm very impressed with the strom, and considering it's 3 grand less than a GS650 or transalp and $5,500 less than a DL1000, it's unbeatable value.

Cheers
Spun

1 - 2 of 2 Posts