StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever put pick up bedliner on their skid plate to reduce engine noise? I have a neighbor who says that he put bedliner on skid plates a long time ago to reduce noise. I will have my skid plate off in the near future for an oil change and might just put some bed liner on it to see if it will absorb noise. I think it would look good black rather than the present aluminum color. I have rode my Wee with the skid plate off and it seems to make less noise with it off.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
This is a common thing to do to metal skid plates for DR650's.

Be advised that if you use rattle can bed liner it need to be very humid and above 70 degree to cure. If its dry and cool it'll take days for the bed liner to set. When I say humid like 70, 80 or 90% humidity.

When I sprayed the lids of my Tusk panniers they stayed tacky for several days. As soon as the humidity came up they dried in a few hours.

Seriously save the spraying for a hot rainy summer day.

Also apply the bed liner to the inside of the skid plate. You wan the sound from the engine hitting the coating. If you spray the outside leaving the inside uncoated the bare aluminum will still reflect the sound.

·
Registered
6 Posts
bob:
i have a dl650a that has the plastic under cowling. i wanted a bit more underneath, so used a piece of aluminum sign cut to fit the open bottom. i painted a few coats of the truck bed paint on it and it really does make a difference.
btw, do you still run a handicap tag? ;)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ned, are you still around ? You were old and decrepit a long time ago. I guess you forgave me for selling you that Triumph a long time ago. I went out and looked at my 2005 dl650 and can't figure out what you did.

I had not thought about the heat from the front exhaust pipe. Where it runs horizontal it is close to, or touching the skid plate. Glad that was brought up. I might have had a small fire right under my gas tank.

Ned, yeah my plate lets me park close to the door at the grocery store.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Registered
6 Posts
you forgave me for selling you that Triumph
that was a great bike. only problem was i kept taking it out on roads (?) that would be hard on a dirt bike. i traded a friend in flag for a husaberg 650 that was more suited to it. 4 or 5 years later i did an alaska trip on a bmw k75 and was thinking on the way home , how good it would have been on the tiger. i got home, looked at c-list and it's brother (same color) was for sale in peoria. had it for 5 years. if they weren't so heavy, i'd get another.
glad to see you're still kicking, too.
senior citizens unite ✌

1 - 11 of 11 Posts