StromTrooper banner

Pushed forward while in 1st

1988 Views 17 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  farmerlou
This might be a stupid question, but I am wondering if I might have caused any harm....

I parked the bike tonight and left it in 1st when I hit the kill switch. I normally leave it in neutral, to make starting it easier when standing, but didn't for some reason. I put it on the centre stand, and a few minutes later decided I wanted to try to push the bile of the centre stand while sitting, which I haven't done before. Anyway, I'm only 5'9"' and when I tried to push it forward it would go part way but I couldnt rock it forward enough to get it off the stand. I figured I didn't have enough leverage to do that, and climbed off, to then have it dawn on me that it was because the bike was in first. I tried to push it off the stand about three times, with as much force as my ties could generate.

Anyone think I might have hurt the transmission or anything?

Thanks in advance for what I hope is good news...

Dave
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
2,249 Posts
If your rear wheel is off the ground when the bike is on the centerstand (as it should be unless the bike is heavily loaded), then being in gear has no effect.
Also every time you twist the throttle, the transmission has to deal with forces much greater than you could generate on your own. You'll have to try a lot harder than that to hurt it.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all!

Golden Monkey: you're absolutely right. That must mean I didn't haves the leverage (ok, maybe strength) to push it off while sitting, making my original post all the more embarrassing.... Perhaps I'll get the technique down. I am still having a hard time getting it on the centre stand. Sometimes the motion is smooth, other times I nearly wear myself out trying. I had the dealer walk me through it, and am following the technique he showed me ( and that's well described in this forum), but I think it just takes practice.

Thanks again everyone for the speedy replies.

Dave

· Registered
230 Posts
I'm 5'7.5" (5'8" on a tall day!) and I also have a heck of a time getting off the center stand if on the bike. I now stand on the left side with left hand on the bars and right hand on the left side rear grab handle and easily push the bike forward off of the center stand. When I first did it, I had fear that the bike would tip away from me, so I staged my son there to assist is required. That fear has been proven unwarranted. I park on the center stand almost every day at work and perform this ritual, because like I said.... I can't do it from on the bike! My feet barely tip to the ground and I look like a floundering idiot as I keep rocking the bike forward and my feet slip on the blacktop and the bike settles back onto the rear position.

To get off the stand, you must be long enough in the legs to push forward causing the bike to actually rise a bit over the apex point of the center stand. If you are fighting the same thing as me (being below average height) then have a helper stand on the other side and try my solution. I've done this about 100 times now and never been even close to dropping her. I do have my arms and body weight ready to influence the bike towards me as she comes to a rest, I still have that fear in the back of my mind about the bike leaning away and falling out of my grip.

· Premium Member
2,249 Posts
That must mean I didn't haves the leverage (ok, maybe strength) to push it off while sitting.... Perhaps I'll get the technique down. I am still having a hard time getting it on the centre stand. Sometimes the motion is smooth, other times I nearly wear myself out trying. I had the dealer walk me through it, and am following the technique he showed me ( and that's well described in this forum), but I think it just takes practice.
Getting it off the stand: don't try to do it while sitting. Astride the bike, stand as close to the front of the seat as possible. Lean your upper body back, then heave it forward, while pushing on the handlebars. Rather than just trying to push forward with your legs, push up, then forward as your upper body swings ahead, to get that last bit of oomph behind the weight transfer.

Similarly, getting the bike up on the stand is all about using your weight and leverage instead of just muscle power. Hold the left grip in your left hand, and the left passenger grab handle in your right. Holding the bike upright, push the centerstand down with your right foot until both its feet contact the ground. Then put all your weight on that foot lever (stand up on it), while pulling up on the passenger grab handle. But don't use your arm to pull up, use your leg and back muscles to straighten out your body. Imagine there's a spring connecting your right foot and right hand, and you're trying to stretch it without using your arm muscles.

· Registered
953 Posts
Absolutely no way you hurt the tranny. Not possible. Think of all the stress the tranny takes from the strong forces from the motor and from wheel spin in gravel, etc. Many many many magnitudes of force greater that you could ever dream of putting on it by pushing it (or trying to push it) off the stand.

Ride happy and worry about a flat tire or something else.... :)

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Larry. They way you described getting the bike off the stand is in fact the way I have to do it too. I don't think I'll bother trying while sitting again.

I was putting it on the centre stand the same way, while stepping on the foot piece of the stand with my left foot, and putting all my weight (155 lbs) on it, and trying to lift the bike at the same time Sometimes it was easy, other times I would give up. Tonight I turned my right hand the other way- so that the back of my hand was closest to the bike and my palm facing away, and that made a world of difference. As if by magic the bike floated off the ground the and settled on the stand with ease:thumbup:

Now, at the risk of overstaying my welcome, do people's bikes rock back hard on the stand ( Suzuki oem) when they use it? Once the momentum takes over, I'm along for the ride.

Dave

· Registered
230 Posts
Yes, they cam over that apex and rock hard when the stand impacts the designed hard-stop, this is totally normal and expected.

· Premium Member
209 Posts
Getting it off the stand: don't try to do it while sitting. Astride the bike, stand as close to the front of the seat as possible. Lean your upper body back, then heave it forward, while pushing on the handlebars. Rather than just trying to push forward with your legs, push up, then forward as your upper body swings ahead, to get that last bit of oomph behind the weight transfer.
This is interesting as I have rarely used this method. For me it's feet on the pegs, butt on the seat, rock forward and back, off I go. One should always use the method you're most comfortable with though.:yesnod:

· Registered
1,327 Posts
Center stand

A helpful tip to practice putting your bike up on the center stand. Practice this at home. Find a piece of board about 6" wide and about 1/2" or 1'' thick. Place the board on the ground or garage floor and wheel your bike backwards until the rear wheel is on top of the board. Now practice the previous techniques mentioned before this post. Once you have it all worked out practice without the board.

Saturn 5 Ride safe, somebody waits for you at home.

· Premium Member
432 Posts
I have an SWMotech Center Stand that I put on new in 2007. The bike goes onto and comes off of the stand without any problems. Oh, and I am a weak little old sucker. I use the center stand for maintenance chores only. I park the bike in gear on the side stand to give me a more stable posistion which I feel is less likely to be pushed down by someone bumping it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.