StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about purchasing a used 2011 650, about 1600 miles, excellent condition.:hurray: Price is $6000 OTD. First, any thoughts on the price?

Second, any thoughts on the bike vs the Glee? I know the Glee is a somewhat better bike, bit the Wee just appeals to me more. However, I also have noticed that the Glee seems somewhat better balanced, with the Wee seeming more top heavy. Also, ive read that the Glee's braking is better, but how much better is it? Same question with suspension, how much better? I guess what I want to know is how much better is the Glee for general real-world riding? I should add that I'm a pretty calm rider.

·
Administrator
18,151 Posts
Thinking about purchasing a used 2011 650, about 1600 miles, excellent condition.:hurray: Price is $6000 OTD. First, any thoughts on the price?

Second, any thoughts on the bike vs the Glee? I know the Glee is a somewhat better bike, bit the Wee just appeals to me more. However, I also have noticed that the Glee seems somewhat better balanced, with the Wee seeming more top heavy. Also, ive read that the Glee's braking is better, but how much better is it? Same question with suspension, how much better? I guess what I want to know is how much better is the Glee for general real-world riding? I should add that I'm a pretty calm rider.
The new version is not heads nor tails better, maybe more refined and better thought out and overall package, but for sure not a better overall bike. An 11 that is not even broken in for 6k OTD sounds pretty great to me.....what are you waiting for?

·
1,323 Posts
I picked up my '13 last month for around $7500 USD, plus discounts on Givi luggage. I would have been happy with earlier models but I had to have ABS in my next bike even if it meant spending a bit more. If ABS isn't your thing, then $6000 is a decent deal, but then again, what's $1500 over the life of a bike?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
A 2011. Will have abs, they all do.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies. Just a little on the fence!... And the bike does have ABS. :thumbup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
WEE Strom purchase

I picked up a used 2011 DL650A last year, it had 4000miles on it, got it for $6000. 10,000 miles later still loving it, it is the most fun bike I ever had.

Dave

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I agree with BigB--the Glee probably is a bit better thought out and the styling is certainly more up to date, but overall, you may not notice much difference, and besides, that seems like a pretty good deal on the '11 model. And, FWIW, the aftermarket for the VStrom is HUGE, so if you feel the need to improve the suspension, you can do that, and for reasonable money, unless you want to buy a complete front and rear suspension package. A fork brace does wonders for the handling and stability of the bike, as does a set of fork springs, and there's plenty to choose from.

I came close to picking up a new '12 Wee summer before last, but I had a hard time justifying the $10,500.00 price of admission. Then I found a very nice, low-mileage '09 ABS Wee for only $5500, OTD at our local HD dealer and have been very happy. It would now qualify as an adv model as I have added a bash plate and engine guards, as well as a Madstad windshield bracket and a Givi tall windshield. It's pretty much set up the way I want it, but with a few small items to be added before next riding season.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
I picked up an '11 Wee just over a year ago nicely farkled with 4,800 miles for $6,300. private sale. I have no regrets! :thumb up: The farkles are all ones I'd have put on the bike and it was mint as well.

The price sounds o.k. I don't know what the demand is there for stroms, but this time on year, some negotiating would be in order. Have you offered less? It's not a new bike, so I'm not sure what "o.t.d." part would include other than tax and reg? (I'm sure they came up with stuff though…)

I don't think you can go wrong otherwise but I've never driven a Glee - and I'm of the opinion that a carefully chosen lightly riden "used" bike is a better value than a new one. I have no complaints about either brakes or suspension, either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Purchasing a Wee

I own one of each. The Glee is definitely the better (read, more refined) bike, and gets slightly better mpg (comparing stupendous to fantastic!) but the Wee is almost as good, handles just as well, and although it feels a little heavier than the Glee, also seems like it feels a Wee bit more robust. Both excellent. That's a good price, and with the minimum $2K you save over a Glee, you can farkle the hell out of it. Go fer it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I bought the 2011 this past summer and have no regrets.
That price sounds very fair to me, especially considering the very low miles. Heck, considering a break-in oil change is usually at 500-1000 miles, that bike isn't even due for its first "real" oil change yet!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all very much for your replies. I am making plans to buy the bike.:thumbup: Just a slight issue getting a ride to pick up the bike and getting logistics straightened out, but otherwise it's a go.:yesnod: (Boy, I'm loving these emoticons.:mrgreen::beatnik:)

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Is the bike all stock or some extras on it? Exactly a year ago I had a chance to buy 2011 with 1500 miles in stock condition on e-bay for $5200, but I was already in the process of buying my 2008. About a month ago I almost got 2011 for again $5200 with 6000 miles on it but with about $1200 in extras on it. Was to late somebody got it...2 weeks ago I had a quick chance to get 2012 Adventure with just 250 miles on it and full (3pc) Adventure luggage for $7000. Yes, I know great price. To me $6000 for 2011 if it's stock seems to be to much...Personally I still prefer the older model since it is much easier to dress it up. A lot of new and used aftermarket parts. Also it looks much more "substantial". Just my opinion. Good luck with your purchase whatever it is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Technically the bike is $5500. I actually added the tax when discussing the purchase price, which I'll have to pay myself when I register it at the DMV. All stock. I'm fairly happy with the price, although I recognize there could be better deals out there.:headbang: I just wanted the damn thing already, you know!?!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I recently purchased a 2006 DL650 with 8500 miles for $4100 with Nelson Riggs bags, a generic top case, a centerstand, engine guard, sargent seat, hand guards, and a nice windshield. Yours is priced pretty well for that many miles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I recently purchased a 2006 DL650 with 8500 miles for $4100 with Nelson Riggs bags, a generic top case, a centerstand, engine guard, sargent seat, hand guards, and a nice windshield. Yours is priced pretty well for that many miles.
Solid deal! Considering that these bikes last for miles and miles, yours is pretty much new as well! Rode mine for the first time today, and it was great.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Solid deal! Considering that these bikes last for miles and miles, yours is pretty much new as well! Rode mine for the first time today, and it was great.:thumbup:
Congratulations then and welcome in V Strom family. You will not regret it! It is a great bike.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts