StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing hypothetical about this situation. Apparently I hit something on the way in this morning that put a hole in the tread of the rear tire. It's right in the tread block about halfway between the center of the tire and the right edge, almost dead-center in the tread block. Whatever it was must have been pretty long as the tread is probably about an inch thick in that area (I don't get into the twisties at all on it). I checked the tires this morning before I left home, and they were at the correct pressures. Something felt funny as I neared work (35 miles) and it turned out I had lost 6psi during the trip (35 miles, mostly freeway). Rolled the tire around and found the spot. Not happy. By lunchtime, there was NO air left in the tire, so it's leakin' fast.

But, I've still got to get home. I've got three options:

1) Air it up and ride it home. Maybe add a couple extra pounds just to make sure it doesn't run too low, and take it easy.

2) Put the tube of Slime goo in it that I've been carrying around for just such an emergency, then air it up and ride it home. Only problem is that it's far enough up off the bottom of the tread that I'm afraid it may not do anything other than throw the balance off.

3) Call the wife and have her bring the truck. Biggest PITA of all three as she can't get the ramps off the wall, which means I'll have to find a big hill to back up to in order to get it into the bed of the truck. Could be a problem around here...

Plugging it isn't an option for the short-term. I had hoped to get three more weeks out of it this year and replace it first thing in the spring, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. :(

So, what would you do?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'd air it up to normal pressure and add the slime. I reason that putting more than normal air pressure could cause a catastrophic failure by stressing the injured area.

Slime will move around the inside of the tire seeking an exit. If you have a hole, it should plug it. If there is not a hole, the slime should stabilize inside the tire, similar to Dynabeads for automatic balancing, therefore not causing any problems in either case. In fact, my recent purchase of new bicycle tires have slime pre-installed in the new tubes, in preparation for a leak/failure.

I have found that the best solution is usually the most inconvenient, so calling in the cavalry may be the the right choice. I can't judge from here, what choice is best for you. Only you know what the actual damage is and what the road conditions and ride home look like. Only you can can bear the burden and responsibility of the decision of how to proceed. :beatnik:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I don't like that tire goo stuff. Makes a mess inside and reduces the chance of being able to do a decent repair.

Me, I'd air it up and ride to the nearest place on the way home to get a plug kit (sticky ropes with two T-handle tools). Of course, you'll probably need air again, too. Or air it up and ride it home (carefully) and then get the plug kit, and maybe an air compressor if you don't have one.

I carry the plug kit and a 12V compressor with me allthe time, under the seat. Saved my ass a couple of times. My rear Tourance, which is far from being worn out, has a plug in it now.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I've got the compressor and the tube of slime that came with it under the seat... I'm just a little reluctant to use the slime as centrifugal force is going to want the stuff to move to the outer-most point in the inside of the tire and I suspect it'll miss the hole. If I rolled the bike over on its side (or pulled the wheel off) I'm sure I could coax the goo towards the hole, but I honestly don't have time for that tonight.

I just ordered a plug kit from AMotoStuff... In all my years of driving, I've never successfully used the strips to plug a hole for more than a week or two (I've used them dozens of times). I have had good luck with the plugs though (Had a tire with 13 of them at 99,960 miles on my Explorer... I think the belts in it were magnetic!?)

ETA... I guess this just wasn't a situation I had considered. The last (and only) two punctures I've had on the motorcycle were very near the center of the tire where the slime should work just fine. I never thought about one being farther around the side of the tire like this one. Certainly didn't make me happy to discover it, that's for sure. I'm going to go air it up and ride it home sticking to the surface streets. I keep it at 42psi, so if it only drops to 36 on the ride home, it should be fine for getting me there. An extra pound or two is still well within the tire's capabilities, and the hole is right in a solid tread chunk, so I'm not too concerned about it's integrity. (I've cut apart plenty of tires to see what's inside... This one will get hacked open sooner or later as well)

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Slime makes a royal mess. I used some reluctantly just to seal a bead (chewed up rim), but would never dump it in a tire.

Gummy worms work well, you must be doing something wrong? Not enough glue maybe?

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Slime makes a royal mess. I used some reluctantly just to seal a bead (chewed up rim), but would never dump it in a tire.

Gummy worms work well, you must be doing something wrong? Not enough glue maybe?
That's the key, slather them up with the rubber cement that comes with them.
I've used 3-4 over the years, and have seen lots of other people use them. Never a problem, at least as a "get home" repair.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In a pinch, I'm sure they would be better than nothing. But I'll give the plugs a shot this time around... Hopefully I'll have better luck. The kit should be here early next week with any luck.

Oh, and I (obviously) made it home fine yesterday. Used the slime compressor to air it up to 42psi, stuck with surface streets for the ride home at not more than 50mph, and it was down to 36 when I pulled into the garage. Probably didn't do the tire any favors by running it marginally low like that, but I'm confident it'll get me through the rest of the riding season.

·
Administrator
14,222 Posts
I carry a compressor and those little string type plugs along with the kit that has reamer and inserter. I have used it three times on my bike with great success.

..Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts