Strom Trooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when I start in the morning I get a good sized puddle of coolant under my DL1000 K3. Then it won't happen again for a while. This started after I had the radiator flushed and the hoses replaced at 60,000 miles. I now have 62,000 miles. Saturday was the last time it occurred. I checked all of the hose clamps and found one slightly loose. I reseated the hose, tightened the clamp, and took a 100+ mile ride. I checked the coolant level this morning, looked the same as before the ride. Tightened the errant hose clamp again, it didn't require much. Then started the engine. Within a minute I had another puddle.

So, the engine is relatively cool (0 or 1 bars). The coolant is between max and min lines in the resevoir under the cowling. The bike is on its sidestand. The coolant coming out is not hot. It seems to be coming from around the area of the top (left side) coolant hose near the back of the hose. The hose itself is not leaking. The seal of the hose seems to be good.. The hose is butted up against the stop, and the hose clamp is tight. After I stop and start the bike a couple of times the leak stops.

Any ideas, or other things to check out? This is a bit frustrating...

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Replacing the rad cap with a new one solved my overflowing issue. Check to gunk and grunge in your cap that might affect it's performance.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Might need to check where the hose clamps on to make sure the surface isn't scored or damaged from corrosion. This is pretty common on cars.

You might also find better results with a wider hose clamp from a hardware store rather than the narrow OEM hose clamp.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
1. Are you absolutely certain it's coolant? If the bike has even 1 bar showing, seems like a coolant spill would be at least warm, if not hot. DL's have a lot of nooks and crannies that can store a huge amount of water (ride your bike at speed after washing it...you'll get soaked).

2. How much fluid is in the overflow tank? If that's overfilled, the usual amount that cycles in and out of the radiator could cause the overflow. And that coolant might be cool, or cooler.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
There isn't much doubt that it is coolant. I haven't washed the bike for a month. And I haven't ridden in the rain for months. And I've done no water crossings, ever. The fluid coming out is blue, clear, and smells like coolant (Engine Ice).

The overflow tank varies between right at the max line to about a quarter inch below it. There is at least 5 inches of empty tank above the max line.

This only seems to happen when I start up. I am getting a couple of ounces, then it stops.

My strategy now is to let this happen and see how low the overflow tank goes. As long as I am always above the minimum I will be happy.

I might also try to bleed all of the air out of the cooling system. And at the same time look at the condition of the radiator cap. Any words of wisdom on how to bleed the air out?

Thank you all for your help...

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I skimmed the factory manual and didn't see anything in the Cooling System section on bleeding. My Concours had a screw you loosened to bleed the system.

Might be you just leave the cap open and rock the bike around until the bubbles stop coming up.

Greywolf knows...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
The manual has hits on things to tap and such. I just squeeze the exposed hoses a few times, overfill the plastic reservoir a bit and go riding. The air will work itself out. Trapped air will not cause a leak so I don't know why air was brought up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
ejy712 said:
This started after I had the radiator flushed and the hoses replaced at 60,000 miles.
Hello ejy712,

Long time lurker, first time poster...so I may not know what I'm talking about...if so I will apologize early.:)

The only thing that has changed is the flush and the hoses.

You have tightened all hose clamps and the leak only happens, occasionally, when you first start the bike.

From what I understand about the cooling system, so far, it would have to be the fittings to your new hoses or the weep hole on the water pump.

If the flush affected the mechanical seal then when the pump is off some coolant could leak by and out the weep hole.

At work, when there is a small...occasional leak, we will employ the ole' baby power technique.

Clean everything off, coat "lightly" with baby powder and find the wet spot.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some more data:

So far this leak occurs only in the morning (after the bike has sat all night). When the engine is started it immediately leaks out an ounce or so of coolant. And that's all. I don't seem to loose coolant on long rides, or when the bike is just sitting.

This did not occur yesterday afternoon after the bike sat in the parking lot for 8 hours.

When I first got this bike I remember that the coolant fell to a level abut a half inch above the min line in the overflow tank, then stayed there for 4 years. So I'm going to keep an eye on it and see if the level stabilizes over time. The good news is that this is happening slow enough so as not to threaten the health of the engine.

I'll keep you all informed of progress. Thanks again for all of your ideas and help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My K2 DL1000 was leaking coolant by that little hole on the lower right side, it leaked for 2 weeks, then suddenly it just stopped!!!... it seemed it liked the night hours better, because during day time and trips it wouldn't leak AT ALL!!, just at night... I know this info is useless... but it seamed interesting.. or weird?:confused:

Anyway, the leak is gone, coolant level is ok, checked the radiator cap and it's ok.. so.. whatever.. haha.. I'll wait for it during night.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
My K2 DL1000 was leaking coolant by that little hole on the lower right side, it leaked for 2 weeks, then suddenly it just stopped!!!
That can happen if a little foreign object gets trapped against the seal and finally washes out. #3 is the spring loaded seal.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Problem solved (I think)

I broke down and took the bike to the shop. They found two bad "O" rings, I believe it is where the thermostat connects into the engine. When the bike was cold metal had contracted enough to allow coolant to leak. As the bike heated up (pretty quickly) the metal expanded and the leak closed. When the O rings were removed they practically disintegrated in his hands according to the mechanic who worked on the problem. He said that they left black smudges on his hands where ever they touched.

I recently had the coolant system flushed and major hoses replaced. This probably damaged the already brittle O rings. I guess I should have had the O rings replaced also.

I have 64,000 miles on her now. She's running better than ever. Great bike...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts