StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to check my air filter for the first time (DL1K4). Was looking in the manual and it shows the screws needed to get the tank off. How to prop it up and remove the pump connector and gas hose, as well as the front bolt, then how to remove the tank but..

I took all those screws out and started to lift the tank, and it seems to be pushing on the fairings a lot.

Do i need to take all of the fairings off to do this? Or are they flexible enough to allow the tank to come out with them in place?

Taking the fairings out would be a major hassle.

Can i even get to that front bolt if i don't remove the fairings?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I've taken my tank off with the plastic just loosened, but putting back on was a challenge without a helper to hold things in place. Removing the plastic requires just a #2 Phillips screwdriver and a 4mm allen wrench. Taking the plastic rivets out of the front soon becomes a snap (literally).

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Consider the hassel then, 'cause all the front plastics have to come off in order to prop the tank up... The front bolt is a hinge, don't think you need to remove it unless you are going to remove the gas tank completely...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet thanks guys. I think i have everything i need for this now. What a fantastic writeup that is.

I like your tip about the silicone grease on the rubber grommets too GreyWolf. Thanks.

·
Registered
987 Posts
As with all difficult jobs, removing the fairing parts is always intimidationg and seems difficult the FIRST TIME. Second time you do it much quicker, easier, third time is starts getting easy, and so on. Now I can jerk the fairing off in just a few minutes, and I haven't scratched/damaged anything in quite awhile. Its actually easy now. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts