StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...managed to find a 2002 Wing (ORANGE BABY!) with only 24,000 miles; snapped it up for under $13,000. Best Part: My Sainted Better Half says I can keep my V-Strom too! Woo Hoo Hoo! :hurray:

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
You are a blessed man!:thumbup: So have you ridden it yet?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Lucky!

Sent from my phone...there will be spelling errors!

·
Registered
19 Posts
You will enjoy the wing it is a great bike for 2 up touring. I have a 2010 titanium. There are some recalls that you need to go to the dealer and have checked. The frame and brakes are two that I know of.
Jerry

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Wife is dead set on cross country mc travel. She was adamant we take this years "out west" trip on the bike, but I wear the pants... and pay for it.
We've done back to back 450+ mile days on the strom and I've determined it just doesn't cut it - for either of us.

Come hell or high water, I'll have a GW by this time next year.
Not sure if I'll end up with present generation or the previous one.
Pillion comfort is my priority and I hear the pre-latest-generation is slightly better.

... I would never have a GW for solo riding ...

·
Registered
672 Posts
Congrats on the Wing. i had an 01. Great bike, only thing i changed was traxxion springs up front and also needd to fix the anti-dive washers on front left fork. They are incompatable with fork and brake fluid. I just placed a washer between the housing disconecting the anti-dive feature and the traxxion springs worked well. If you can find it watch the video of Yellow Wolf doing the Dragon on his Wing. He is passing some very good sport bike riders.Very very impressive bike, with in my opinion less maintance issues than the Wee. I needed to sell mine only because wife and I got a toy hauler/camper and her Bmw f650 and the wing exceeded the capacity and space of the toy hauler. Rode it cross country, then two week trip to Nova Scotia Then two weeks cross country again North to south. And did I mention the traxxion suspension made this bike much much better. As a final note I would recommend fixing the anti-dive and getting the traxxion front fork springs. Disclaimer I have no commericial interest nor connection with traxxion.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Congrats on the Wing. I've got a pearl white 08. For 2up touring, there is nothing better. Any dealer can run the vin and see if the frame recall was done. There is also a current brake inspection recall (master cylinder) that affects all years. I've only heard of a small few that failed.

Enjoy the ride :hurray:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Congrats on the wing. I have an 04 titanium with the Traxxion full monty suspension upgrade. One thing you will notice is that you need more steering input to change directions. The "push right to turn right" will be ingrained into your mind and your shoulders will feel it after a day of hard twisties. The wing will do the twisties just as well as any sport bike.

·
Registered
934 Posts
All you wing owners are making me jealous! This is my next bike for sure. I

Sent from my phone...there will be spelling errors!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had a 06 GL1800 and rode it around 40K. Great motorcycle for going coast-coast for sure.

Honda made some notable changes starting in 2006 and IMHO it is worth looking at 2006+ model years if you are considering a GL1800.

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
Wife is dead set on cross country mc travel. She was adamant we take this years "out west" trip on the bike, but I wear the pants... and pay for it.
We've done back to back 450+ mile days on the strom and I've determined it just doesn't cut it - for either of us.

Come hell or high water, I'll have a GW by this time next year.
Not sure if I'll end up with present generation or the previous one.
Pillion comfort is my priority and I hear the pre-latest-generation is slightly better.

... I would never have a GW for solo riding ...
They are even more fun riding solo.:yesnod:

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
If you own both a Wing and a V-Strom, it is all you'll ever need. I put 15,000 miles on my Wing and 5,000 miles on my V-Strom every year.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Now all you need is a trailer to tow your wee for some back country adventures!!!

Congrats on the wing.... I'm almost ready to pull the wing trigger!!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Just returned today from a 1900 mile on the new to me 06' Wing.. A couple months ago I found one that had 7600 miles and was basically new.. Poor guy had arthritus and gout making riding impossible for him. Its an airbag model that has nav, abs, comfort pkg(heated seats etc).. I have to admit I purchased it solely because the wife found the Vstrom uncomfortable (after trying corbin and sargent seats) and had no interest in going on long rides any more.. Starting midweek we rode from our home in Utah, through Star Valley Wyoming, Jackson Hole, Tetons, Yellowstone Park, Missoula Montana, Lolo Pass, McCall ID, down to Stanly ID, Challis, Salmon and home.. She finally has enjoyed the ride.. :thumbup: One of the big things for her was the intercom and being able to chat.. The seat I think was the main thing.. I concur that it will be nice for solo rides as well. I know it may be taboo to say but the Strom has found a new home.. Its a Wing, Versys, and KLR in the stable these days..

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Oh to have the $ and garage space to have a GoldWing in addition to the Strom. You're a lucky man.

·
Registered
471 Posts

:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts