StromTrooper banner

Pulled The Trigger on a Vee

994 Views 10 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  tucsonstrom
My wife has been hinting for several months that it would fun to do some weekend rides, so I acquired a 2003 Vee on Friday to round out the herd. It will mainly be used for two up rides on graded bladed stuff. It came with a top case, centerstand, larger windscreen, and some soft bags.

I am thinking of adding Givi crash bars and the Enduro Guardian skid plate. This may be overkill for the intended purpose, but they will make me feel a lot better.:thumbup:

My last multicylindered bike was a 1984 650 Nighthawk, and I haven't ridden on the street since about 1987. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the Vee was to ride, and took the roundabout way on the way home from emissions testing just to get on the highway. I can see how they just eat up the miles with little effort. Is it just me or do you need to be going about 80 mph to not lug it in 6th?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
270 Posts
Great purchase. I rode both the wee and vee before I bought a vee. In my opinion there is no substitute for displacement. I have to recommend against the Givi crashbars. They interfere with removing the side panels when it comes to maintenance... The SW-Motech bars don't have this issue...

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was leaning towards the Givis because they look like they cover a bit more of the bodywork, and they are a little less expensive. The bodywork is already prescratched, I just don't want to drop the bike and smash it to bits.

· Registered
270 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention 6th gear. I have a K&N air filter and 6 is good down to 3800 rpm anything lower and it lugs, before the K&N it wasn't happy below 4k rpm. But, my filter was pretty dirty when I changed it out..

The Givi's are less expensive than some of the alternatives. nhbubba has no issues with his givi's on a DL650. I cuss mine everytime I do work on my DL1000. I do know the bars and dimensions are different between the two bikes... If you ever have cause to come to up to Vegas, or I end up in Phoenix with my bike I'll be happy to show you my givi's...

· Registered
224 Posts
Congrats on the new Vee. Send me a PM if you're up Flagstaff way. By-the-way, I have the SW Motechs and they did their job the few times I've dropped my Vee--once I just dumped it over pushing it off the center stand and not realizing it was in gear :headbang: and the other time was a legitimate crash at 10-15 MPH on pavement.

If you just drop the bike it seems the bar-end weights usually get the worst of it, fortunately they bend back into shape pretty easily.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice to meet you, guys! I will have to get with you and find some good easy day rides other than Crown King, Castle Hot Springs Rd, Seven Springs, etc.

Unfortunately it may be at least another 1-2 months before the Vee sees dirt - still recovering from rotator cuff surgery. It's going well, just takes time.

· Registered
503 Posts
Nice to meet you, guys! I will have to get with you and find some good easy day rides other than Crown King, Castle Hot Springs Rd, Seven Springs, etc.

Unfortunately it may be at least another 1-2 months before the Vee sees dirt - still recovering from rotator cuff surgery. It's going well, just takes time.
Spare yourself the aggravation trying to ride a vee offroad. :headbang:

Vee is a great day tripper............:thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.