StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have pulled the fuel sensor wire out of plug under the fuel tank. Luckily it was only the sensor wire and not the fuel pump wires. But now my fuel gauge reads "Empty" all the time... Hate always-blinking things on my dash! Grrr!

I don't see an easy way to put the wire back into the plug. Is it possible to rebuild the plug (if so, any hints? pics?), or do I have to go hunt for a new (used?) one?

-Sergio

·
Registered
178 Posts
Get in there with your fingers and make it work. Only easy answer to this one is to figure it out yourself. Sorry it's that easy/tough to do...

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
The good news:
If you've pulled the wire off the back of the connector pin, the individual pins can generally be removed from the housing, but it requires care and skill. The usually have a small metal tab sticking out and acting as a latch, you can generally push that tab out of the way with something like a (sewing) pin then pull the one connector out the back of the connector body, solder the wire back on, bend the tab back out so it will latch back in and click the connector pin back into place.

Done it before a few times on industrial equipment with expensive or impossible to get connectors.

The bad news:
I'd have to guess though that if you are clumsy enough to rip the wire out in the first place, that's probably not going to work for you - it really does need patience and dexterity to do successfully.

Phone round the local auto-electricans, see if they know someone who can do this reliably.

Pete

·
Registered
15,430 Posts
You could always go to the DEALER in N Bollywood or in Bollywood proper. Help is at hand.
I used to repair funky connectors all the time when I worked. It really can be done but what PeteW said, 1++

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks PeteW,
I figured as much. And I've repaired a few connectors before, it's just that this one is really funky looking, and didn't see a way to pull out the pin, since the back of it seems to be filled in. I'll take a closer look at it.

-Sergio

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fixed!
Apparently the part of the plug I thought was sealed - was just a rubber gasket!
Had to solder the wire onto the connector as the crimp was way too smashed that I had nothing to pry it open.
But it works and I got my fuel gage back! No more blinking things on my dash (at least not until I *really* need gas!). :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts