StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 DL1000 Just took off the Puig Cupula touring wind screen. 4 inches taller than stock 2 inches wider.
I'm 6 foot 1 and tried all three positions and all three heights after 20 miles I was back in the garage putting the stocker back on. 1240 miles so far and loving this except for the buffeting.
Anybody got any advice? anyone have advice good or bad on the pelican bags?

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
There's some good posts here:

I've found three places where wind turbulence can come from. Top of screen, side fairing, just to the right and left of the headlight (where the OEM screen just ends), and the lower fairing where air comes up and around the tank hitting you in the stomach/chest which creates turbulence under the helmet.

You're going to need to create/buy/make deflectors and found strategic placement to solve for your dimensions (height, screen, etc).

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
2018 DL1000 Just took off the Puig Cupula touring wind screen. 4 inches taller than stock 2 inches wider.
I'm 6 foot 1 and tried all three positions and all three heights after 20 miles I was back in the garage putting the stocker back on. 1240 miles so far and loving this except for the buffeting.
Take a ride without the mirrors. If there's less buffering extending them out or replacing them with longer stem mirrors will help.

Some put stand-offs on the shield mounts to change the angle too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
On the 650, a Givi Airflow works WONDERS. A DL650 with a Givi Airflow has the bast wind management of any of the 24 motorcycles I have owned, and it is not even remotely close. It's a 10. The next best is maybe a 7.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Also, FWIW, I am 6'0". The windshield has significant adjustment, and works well no matter where I place it, but it is generally set about midway.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If I had to ride long distances without a Givi Airflow, I'd probably just sell my '15 DL1000. I'm 6'3" and run it in the "middle" factory bracket position. I think it's a fantastic shield.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Add a wind deflector to the top. I bought one on Ebay for $25 or so, and it was a good addition. Search "Adjustable Clip On Windshield Extension Spoiler Wind Deflector For Motorcycle". This is the 280mm wide model. With this spoiler, the helmet buffeting is gone. Also, if it's calm or traveling approx directly into the wind, I have much less helmet noise. Stronger cross winds still cause additional helmet wind noise, but not much can be done about that. I wear ear plugs all the time.

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
I've got an AirFlow arriving Monday. Until then I've done a lot of playing with angles/spacers/deflectors. I just got back from a 300KM ride with the OEM screen, ebay spoiler, and strategically placed deflectors. I can do visor up until 80km/h, then it's visor down, with significantly less buffeting than stock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I had to ride long distances without a Givi Airflow, I'd probably just sell my '15 DL1000. I'm 6'3" and run it in the "middle" factory bracket position. I think it's a fantastic shield.
Thanks for the Intel.looks like they are out of stock at the moment. At revzilla who have been very accommodating while I figure this out.
I've got an AirFlow arriving Monday. Until then I've done a lot of playing with angles/spacers/deflectors. I just got back from a 300KM ride with the OEM screen, ebay spoiler, and strategically placed deflectors. I can do visor up until 80km/h, then it's visor down, with significantly less buffeting than stock.

View attachment 277270 View attachment 277271
This set up was ineffective for you?
  • Its where I planned on heading next. Please advise your height if you would thank you

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
Thanks for the Intel.looks like they are out of stock at the moment. At revzilla who have been very accommodating while I figure this out.

This set up was ineffective for you?
  • Its where I planned on heading next. Please advise your height if you would thank you
There's still side fairing turbulence. I have some "BMW Deflectors" ordered from ebay that should be the final piece to the puzzle:

I'm 5'8" and I have the Suzuki OEM "Low Seat". I believe the combination of height, and low seat, make my wind challenges different than most.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thank you im gong to try the Madstaad set up.
30 day return policy and a review from an 18 owner who said its the best farkle yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
thank you im gong to try the Madstaad set up.
30 day return policy and a review from an 18 owner who said its the best farkle yet.
On my 2019 the buffeting was my biggest gripe. I've used the original screen with that clip on a couple people above have mentioned and it was definitely better. I've tried the Puig touring windscreen, Givi Airflow, CalSci windscreen, and finally settled on the Madstad with the clip on from my original windscreen.
The Givi is the only one I still have because I kept it past the return window before trying the Madstad which is what I'm still using.

It's been the best one for me, I'm 5'9" with the Sargent low seat and I can ride with the visor up comfortably at most speeds.
I've also added the mirror extenders though I'm not sure if that helped anything.

Oh I also realized that my head is more of a long oval shape instead of intermediate oval, so switching from a Scorpion helmet to an Arai or even an Icon helped for me as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Puig does ok for me but I had to ditch the barn door mirrors for a $12 fleabay set of Aprillia knockoffs.
I also cut about 3” off my stock screen and use it locally. No buffeting at all from it but you get the wind and bugs, which never really bothered me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same bike, XT version, and have the National Cycle VStream sport touring screen. Very quiet compared to stock. I am 6'1" also. Using it with Shoei GT Air 2 helmet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again everyone.
Madstad is on order. The Corbin came but its not anything like I ordered wrong cover material on it same with piping so that went back in the box.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts