StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After emailing Puig to confirm compatibility (every retailer said it wasn’t compatible with ‘17 and ‘18 650’s), I ordered their rear tire hugger from Amazon. The part number is 4710J. I must have got a return because mine arrived in non standard packaging but fortunately had all hardware except for foam tape that is used to protect the swing arm.

Tools needed: Phillips head screwdriver, socket wrench (a second is helpful in the later stages), hex drivers of sizes 4 and 6, a 10 mm socket (again a second will be helpful later), socket extensions, Allen key or similar long item to remove plastic push rivets, razor knife or other implement for cutting stock plastic. Optional would be a 10 mm crescent or box wrench in place of socket, and in my case gorilla double sided tape in place of the missing foam tape.

Step 1: size 6 hex to remove rear mounting bolt from pax foot peg. Loosen the forward and let it hang to access chain guard mounts

Step 2: Phillips screw driver to remove chain guard (I used my power drill)

Step 3: remove ABS plastic protector by rear shock. I used 10 mm socket on LOOOONG extension to reach from underneath.

There are two plastic pop rivets holding the back of the guard on. They are the same type that hold the front fairing together, use your Allen key to push the fastener through and pull them out. Because of the shape of the plastic guard you’ll have to wiggle it out past the tire.

Step 4: cut the bottom lip off the guard. I used a razor knife. My Dremel sat in the corner and gave me dirty looks as I neglected it.

Resist the urge to put this back in place before you install the hugger. I found I didn’t have room for my socket wrench and had to remove it a second time.

Step 5: fit the supplied bracket over the right side swing arm. This is where I used my two 10 mm sockets. I also had to use the gorilla tape as my package Didn’t have the foam tape.

Keep it loose until the hugger is in place so you can adjust the position as needed. You’ll need to shimmy it under the brake line.

Step 6: insert the four supplied well nuts into hugger. Slide the hugger in place and use the size 4 hex socket to tighten the screws. Full disclosure, it’s tight around the exhaust. I used the Allen key that came with the bike. Once you have the exhaust side secured to the bracket you can tighten the screws around the swing arm.

Step 7: replace the ABS guard and the pax foot peg. I also added the double sided tape in a location that looked like it would rattle a little:

It’s between the swing arm and the hugger itself.

Done!

My only concern is that the stock chain guard included a metal bracket at the rear mounting position for stiffness that the hugger does not have. I make look to retrofit it to the hugger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the install pics. Been considering this for a while. How much room (aprox) between tire and hugger?

Give or take about an inch at the end of the tail but it is much less in the curved area. Probably a half inch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts