StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took the plunge!

I have been looking at Vstroms for a little bit now and after I rode one in Robbinsville, NC a few weeks ago during the MTF Founders Feast I was hooked.

When I returned from that trip I decided to keep watching the market, see what they were going for and how long they were staying available, etc. My plans were to purchase after the first of the year.

That was all fine and well, then I saw an add for an 08 in Atlanta. The bike had Jesse bags, aux fuel cell, Madstad, Cee Bailey's Perfect Strom, Rick Mayer seat and the list goes on... The owner was an IBA member as well and was needing to get rid of it due to surgeries that were preventing him from riding the bike like he wanted to.

A few phone calls later with the owner and the bank I was on my way to Atlanta on October 9th. Bike was in great shape, it had been laid down in the gravel or something on the left side. A few scars next to the head light, buel signals added as well. Made the deal, signed the papers and rode it home from Atlanta. (200 miles)

Got home around midnight Sunday evening. Went to work on Monday, dragging, and then came home and pulled J&M off my FZ6 and began pulling down the Vstrom. For the rest of the week I stayed up late working on the Vstrom, rewiring the farkles that the previous owner had put on. He did a good job with the connections and the set up. Fuseblocks, soldier, shrink tubing, nice switches. However, I am a neat freak when it comes to having wires ran where they are out of sight and if they are visable Ill add loom, etc.

Finally on Thursday I got the tag taken care of and finished up the bike. Rode it to work on Friday then down to Charlotte afterwork to see a friend and back home. Total miles as of Friday evening, less than 500.

Saturday morning my father and I left the house at 7:30am and started an instate saddle sore 1000 as part of the tribute for Jack Shoalmire. Jack was an amazing rider with numberous completed IBA rides. One of his goals was to complete a SS1000 in all 50 states. He was well on his way before he passed away about a month ago. As a tribute, the IBA notified all the members and on October 15th there was atleast one person in each state, including Hawaii and Alaska attempting a SS1000. Most of us had SPOT's on the bikes and we were all linked on the same SPOTWALLA page so that you could witness us all moving about. (Video will be made later)

Dad and I completed our route of NC in 21 hours which was the hardest ride I have ever done. I completed a BBG last March and IMO it was easier than running a saddle sore on the two lane roads.

Here are some pictures from the ride and pictures of the bike as well.
Jack Tribute Ride IS-SS1000 NC pictures by skeeterman426 - Photobucket

SPOTWALLA page - Just to show some of the riders that were involved.
SpotWalla - Location Page Viewer - Jack Shoalmire Tribute Ride

My Spot Page showing route.
SPOT Shared Page

Absolutly love this bike! Rides great! Got a few things to work out on it and a few more adjustments to make and things to add. But overall Im very satisfied with it. Looking forward to lots of miles on this one!

-bryan

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Congrats and welcome! The tribute ride was a nice gesture. Did you ride 1000 miles in 21 hours straight? What are the rules for a SS1000?

I have a Spot Tracker that I use once in a while on longer trips. Whenever I see ride reports showing the Spot route taken, it makes me want to do long exotic rides! I have never seen the SpotWalla site -- pretty cool idea! I'll have to read up on how it works. Maybe there's an idea there for a Stromtrooper group event.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats and welcome! The tribute ride was a nice gesture. Did you ride 1000 miles in 21 hours straight? What are the rules for a SS1000?

I have a Spot Tracker that I use once in a while on longer trips. Whenever I see ride reports showing the Spot route taken, it makes me want to do long exotic rides! I have never seen the SpotWalla site -- pretty cool idea! I'll have to read up on how it works. Maybe there's an idea there for a Stromtrooper group event.
There were breaks for gas, food and rest. But it was completed 21 hours after the first gas stop. You use the time stamp on your fuel receipt. From that time you have 24 hours to log 1000 miles or 1500 if you want to do a bun burner gold.

Here are the rules for a SS1000
SaddleSore 1000/Bun Burner 1500 Rules

Here is the list of all the common IBA rides. I will warn you, this stuff is addicting. I know it sounds silly and its not for everyone, but once I did my first saddle sore, I was hooked and it really set in after completing a BBG. Next step is SS2000 or 50CC..
IBA - World's Toughest Motorcycle Riders

SPOTWALLA was started by a member on the MTF and what it offers is a continous use map. Unlike spots maps where you are limited to the number of points or 7 days... SPOTWALLA can go on as long as you want, so you can basically log your entire riding season if you wanted. Pretty easy set up and the creater Jason Jonas, is a great guy. Very helpful if you need it. He also created the miles tracker which allows you to keep track of all your mods/maintence on your bike (date/mileage/cost/etc.)

Spotwalla
SpotWalla - Home

Miles Tracker
Miles Tracker - Home

-bryan

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Yup I still have it. Looking to sell it now. Great bike, hate to get rid of it. Werent you on the FZ6 international forum?

-bryan
Yes, that's where I know you from... The FZ6 and V-strom 650 are the two best bikes in their class, period... I think I will keep my FZ6 a little longer...:mrgreen:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bryan, Great report on your purchase and then your ride. Looking forward to seeing you at some of the MTF get togethers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bryan, Great report on your purchase and then your ride. Looking forward to seeing you at some of the MTF get togethers.
Well howdy Dan! I know many people on this forum! LOL Ill start working on a more detailed report of the ride for my blog soon.

I hope to make it to Jacksonville again this year, as well as Moonshine and the Wisconsin ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts