StromTrooper banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Has anyone fitted Protaper ATV Mid or High bars (without bar risers) to their 2012 Vstrom yet?

I'm curious as to whether the throttle cables, brake line etc are long enough before I dive in and try either of these bars.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Sorry, an inexact answer. Pro-tapers yes, but an MX style.
It's tighter than it was on my K6 as far as brake line length goes.

Pete

·
Registered
176 Posts
I put the atv mid on and no trouble with cables however I could not get bark busters to fit since the aluminum bar hit the instruments .. The Suzuki oem handguard did work.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I put the atv mid on and no trouble with cables however I could not get bark busters to fit since the aluminum bar hit the instruments .. The Suzuki oem handguard did work.
I did get barkbusters to fit on mine so they must be a bit taller than ATV mid.

Pete

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone else put a set of Protaper SE Mid or High bend bars on their 2012 yet? Pics? I'm undecided between which one I'll try....

·
Registered
176 Posts
I went with the mid because I wanted the least amount of sweep in the bars...I think both are better than the stock sweep but the mid were a bit better

·
Registered
5 Posts
Where would I go to find these bars? For some reason my left hand cramps up due to the angle of the stock bars. Looking for change.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Where would I go to find these bars? For some reason my left hand cramps up due to the angle of the stock bars. Looking for change.
I got mine from the second bike accessory shop I walked into - intended for a KLX 100 or similar. I had the same problem with both wrists, they started to feel like I'd broken both them.

Pete

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I put PT woods low handle bars on the SV.

I'd like to get PT's for the DL too. Which ones won't hit the fairing at full lock is the question. The stock handlebars are a bit generic and bend back a bit too far. Nice for a cruiser but not a MX bike.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
OK, after much deliberating I bought the Protaper SE ATV Mid bars, and put them on today. For me they are the perfect height, reach, and pull back on the bar ends so very happy I went with these - it has improved further an already outstanding bike.

I'm 5'10 and have longer than usual arms - always have to get my suit arms lengthened! Its a more relaxed riding position with your elbows out and grips level - more of a dirt riding position so may not suit everyone, but depends what you are used to.

I'd be a bit wary about trying to fit ATV High bars to the 2012 Vstrom, as the brake line was at its limit effectively (without removing any of the hardware that holds it to the fork leg). The ATV Mids fit like they are made for the 2012 though! No problems with clearance of the screen using the Suzuki hand guards either.

I used some Barkbuster bar end parts I had lying around to make up some smaller bar end weights that you can see. The ATV bars are already a fair bit wider than the stock bars, and I wanted to keep the total width as minimal as possible. Also, my advice would be to NOT cut the bars, as you need all the grip area to fit the bar hardware on.

Here's some pics, hope this helps someone else trying to decide whether to change the bars.

·
Registered
281 Posts
OK, after much deliberating I bought the Protaper SE ATV Mid bars, and put them on today. For me they are the perfect height, reach, and pull back on the bar ends so very happy I went with these - it has improved further an already outstanding bike.

I'm 5'10 and have longer than usual arms - always have to get my suit arms lengthened! Its a more relaxed riding position with your elbows out and grips level - more of a dirt riding position so may not suit everyone, but depends what you are used to.

I'd be a bit wary about trying to fit ATV High bars to the 2012 Vstrom, as the brake line was at its limit effectively (without removing any of the hardware that holds it to the fork leg). The ATV Mids are like they are made for the 2012 though! No problems with clearance of the screen using the Suzuki hand guards either.

I used some Barkbuster bar end parts I had lying around to make up some smaller bar end weights that you can see. The ATV bars are already a fair bit wider than the stock bars, and I wanted to keep the total width as minimal as possible. Also, my advice would be to NOT cut the bars, as you need all the grip area to fit the bar hardware on.

Here's some pics, hope this helps someone else trying to decide whether to change the bars.

The bars look great! I would take a hair dryer to the factory warning stickers on the tank. Those are usually the first badges that come off.

Nice job!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had the Tusk 30mm risers and stock bars on mine, but wanted to try the PT ATV High bars. I have seen posts where people put the PT's on and kept their risers. When I tried that, my throttle cables were stretched very tight, so I took the risers off. I did take the throttle cables out of the upper guide, but it didn't seem to help.

It was getting dark and I didn't have a light with me, is there another clip/guide that is lower that can be loosened to allow for more slack?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I put Pro Taper atv high bars on my '13. No problems with any cables or lines. I hated the sweep of the originals.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I put Pro Taper atv high bars on my '13. No problems with any cables or lines. I hated the sweep of the originals.
Mine work with fine without the Tusk risers. It appears that some people have successfully added the bars with the risers. I was curious to see how they did it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts