StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an answer to an post I made, it has been suggested by many members to install new handlebars. I have done some research and seems the Protaper ATV Highs may be worth trying. My big concern is with the cable/hose length not being long enough to work on my Vee. So, for those who many have these bars, how did they fit? How hard was the installation? Did all the original equipment fit back on (bar end weights, etc)?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yes they work fine. I even added 2" risers and they still work fine. FYI, even though they are labeled "high", they are no taller than the stock bars. Just way flatter with less sweep.

You'll need to modify your barend weights (or get rid of the heavy things) to make them fit because the Al bars are heavier walled. Fuel line works fine.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they work fine. I even added 2" risers and they still work fine. FYI, even though they are labeled "high", they are no taller than the stock bars. Just way flatter with less sweep.

You'll need to modify your barend weights (or get rid of the heavy things) to make them fit because the Al bars are heavier walled. Fuel line works fine.
Not disputing what you say. Others report these help with sitting position (more upright). I don't see how this can be if they have less sweep and the same height. Would this not pull you further forward? BTW, I have not actually seen these yet so my questions may be mute once I actually touch it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I;ve also been wondering the same thing.

Do you end up leaning more forward because the bars have less pullback and sweep? I like the pictures in the link above, but I'm curious how this really compares to the stock bar position.

I would like the bars to be CLOSER to my body when sitting upright, say for cruising on the highway.

Thanks in advance for answers.

Not disputing what you say. Others report these help with sitting position (more upright). I don't see how this can be if they have less sweep and the same height. Would this not pull you further forward? BTW, I have not actually seen these yet so my questions may be mute once I actually touch it.

·
Administrator
17,520 Posts
If they didnt work great right out of the box.....why the hell would folks be upgrading to them?:frown:

·
Registered
766 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If they didnt work great right out of the box.....why the hell would folks be upgrading to them?:frown:
I am not disputing that they work for many, I am just trying to get my head around why. The PTs come highly recommended as a mod that will help improve the riding position by sitting you up in the saddle, but based on the geometry and pictures it appears they pull you forward. Maybe that is a good thing, I don't know.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
They give more of a dirt bike feel. If they pull you forward it is not by much.

The PT's have been one of my more beneficial mods.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
I;ve also been wondering the same thing.

Do you end up leaning more forward because the bars have less pullback and sweep? I like the pictures in the link above, but I'm curious how this really compares to the stock bar position.

I would like the bars to be CLOSER to my body when sitting upright, say for cruising on the highway.

Thanks in advance for answers.
First, remember that a great advantage with tubular bars, compared to clip ons, is that you may easily rotate the bar to be closer or further just by slightly loosening all four allen head bolts, then sit on seat adjust and tighten. Test ride and tighten again. You may wish to rotate the clutch and brake levers at the same time.

Second, I find these bars to be perfect particularly while standing, which I do while riding off road ever since taking an off road riding clinic.

Third, these tubular bars, as well as many other brands, are cheap and have a higher quality finish than OEM steel bars.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yes, they increased my reach a bit, making me sit more upright. I do not use them to raise the bars, I use them because I can't stand the excessive sweep of all Suzuki bars and the flimsiness of the vstrom bars. I made 2" risers to get add'l height, but only after I put on the higher gel seat. Without risers, they were just too low at that point.

The risers will let you rotate the bars back a bit too, which is impossible with just the ATV-hi bars and ProTaper clamps due to the very close clearance with the gas tank.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Just because a bar has less sweep, doesn't mean it's going to be more comfortable.

Just hold your arms out in front of you, and pretend to make a grip. If you draw an imaginary line thru your grip, you'll notice it's at a particular angle. Our wrists weren't designed to grip straight across, but at an angle. Depending on how your hand/wrist is constructed, you'll like more or less sweep at this static hand/grip position that comes naturally. Look at your hand grip, and then decide if you're a sweeper or a straighter.

And there are no absolutes either. On my mountain bikes, I have a high rise bar with 13 deg. of sweep, it's a tall upright dirt bikey riding position. On my other more racer-ish bike, I am actually running a bar that has A LOT of sweep [an English On-One Mary h-bar]. I actually love this bar for just riding around cross country style - my wrists are at an angle with little or no stress at the wrist + makes my mtb handle like a sportbike on dirt, but for huckin' off of cliffs, and bangin' between trees, I like the more conventional upright MX style riding position my other 'straighter/less sweep' riser bar equipped bike offers.

Here's a good shot [not my picture] comparing my Sweepy handlebar to a sportbike - the similarities are real. They both kinda feel the same.

If you're riding your Strom aggressively on dirt roads, and light trails, you might like the straigher [less sweep] bar, because it puts you in the elbows bent attack position [which also gets your weight over the front end for carving]. However, for droning away on the superslab, or easy backroad cruising, a bar with more backsweep will tend to be more comfortable, depending on your own personal bio-mechanics. I like the stock handlebar on my Wee [I did tilt it up/down a bit to find my sweet spot].

Bars are cheap, try out a few bends you'd never think to try, you may be surprised as to what you find.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I swiched to the PT High about a yr ago after my wee decided to take a nap in the garage and folding over the r side bar by three inches. :headbang: Yes they make a big difference most noticably to me is that my hands don't go to sleep anymore. I don't know if it is because of the sweep angle or the fact that my elbows and wrists are in a different position. Either way it all good.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Installed the ATV high bars

I went for the ATV high bars. Installation went well. Used a copper pipe cutter to take off one inch from each side. I also had to fiddle with the bar weight compression fittings as others have done. That took the longest time. My Scott's stabilizer fits fine under the brace.

One thing I did notice is with the bars cut down, the right hand mirror/brake assembly mounts at the point the bars just begin to bend. This results in the right mirror being slightly asymmetrical (more upright) and hence at lock closer to my Cee Bailey wind screen. Being slightly OCD this bugs me a bit, but that is just me.

In hind sight, the only thing I would do differently is find a steel bar with the same dimensions to avoid having to fuse with the bar end weights.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The best thing is to try the bars on other stroms at a group ride or maintenance day. I sat on one with the straighter bars, and they weren't right for me. I like my stock bars with up & back risers. If a replacement bar put my hands into that same position, I'd consider it. The rotation of the stock bars of even a few degrees can make a big difference. I don't want my elbows out unless I'm standing on the pegs riding on dirt, which I don't do often.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Has anybody tried the KLR650 bars on a Vee or Wee?

I really like the bend of the stock KLR bar, it fits me perfectly. The OEM KLR bars are nothing special for sure, but the bend is nice. I have not compared it to the ATV bend(s) mentioned here yet. I did check out the PT ATV Hi bar at the local dealership.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts