StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,

just wanted to get some feedback on the Pro's and cons of a 2012 vstrom 650. It's the adventure model. got about 13, 000 miles on it. But the owner has always been "spot on" on all maintance, etc...

So all comments would be greatly appreciated.

Don

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Make sure recalls (camshafts, stator) are done. OEM Motech TraX are Starbucks material, will leak after after parking lot drop you need to seal seams with aluminum duct tape.

Visited provinces:

Visited states:

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Make sure recalls (camshafts, stator) are done. OEM Motech TraX are Starbucks material, will leak after after parking lot drop you need to seal seams with aluminum duct tape.

Visited provinces:

Visited states:
My Motechs have held up just fine after a few drops, otherwise you are spot on about what needs to be verified as being done.

Reactions: Doncscs

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
My Motechs have held up just fine after a few drops, otherwise you are spot on about what needs to be verified as being done.
Mine leaked and we had some water damage to gear/supplies. Unfortunately it happened during the trip 5 days in torrential downpour coming from Tok to Calgary.

I reenfoced them and waterproof seams but IMHO the way they are built, riveted out of paper thin aluminum it's a Starbucks material.. just saying.

Visited provinces:

Visited states:

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Yup they are thin compared to some other panniers, but if I am to venture off pavement I have on my waterproof softbags. I find I can pack up too much crap in my panniers, when all I really need I can get into my 36L a piece soft bags. I love the convenience and security of the panniers, and they are what I choose for everyday riding or long pavement adventures.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
Excellent bikes but any deal depends on price and condition as well. ;-)

The only con I can think of is the seat was a bit uncomfortable for me (I had a 2013) so I put a custom seat on it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I love mine.
Both cases leak about 3 tablespoons, while parked at work on a rainy day. I'll try repairs this summer.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I love mine too. I have all three factory hard cases. When I brought it home, I had it on an open trailer and it spent about 6 hours in torrential rains. No water inside the cases. For commuting, I just use top box and put the sides in the attic until I have time for a long trip. Buying used, well-farkled 650s are a great value.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Good afternoon,

just wanted to get some feedback on the Pro's and cons of a 2012 vstrom 650. It's the adventure model. got about 13, 000 miles on it. But the owner has always been "spot on" on all maintance, etc...

So all comments would be greatly appreciated.

Don
The 2012 as compared to other bikes or as a bike in general?

Rear cylinder boils your thighs and manly area at summer. Front brake could be better.
It wont be stable as a ducati street bike at high speeds especially with the rear loaded. Wind protection is crap at high speed and no, aprilia mirrors won't solve it.
Pros? Its reliable so I've heard (after recall's been done), has enough all around power, great at the twisties. Big enough fuel tank. Great front lights and even greater at high beam. Nice torque. Good seat for long trips.

Reactions: Doncscs

·
Registered
3,906 Posts

Rear cylinder boils your thighs and manly area at summer. Front brake could be better.
It wont be stable as a ducati street bike at high speeds especially with the rear loaded. Wind protection is crap at high speed and no, aprilia mirrors won't solve it.
Pros? Its reliable so I've heard (after recall's been done), has enough all around power, great at the twisties. Big enough fuel tank. Great front lights and even greater at high beam. Nice torque. Good seat for long trips.

I live in the desert and have never been bothered by engine heat. Certainly doesn't "boil your thighs and manly areas".

The bike has a small windshield so yea minimal wind protection. Buffeting can be a problem and there's various solutions. A Givi Airflow and KTM mirrors solved that for me. It's a personal solution though, a trial and error type deal.

Bike is fine at extended higher speeds. Here in the west US highway speeds are typically in the 80 mph range. Bike will cruise all day at those speeds, I've done it many times. Passing (at those speeds) takes a bit of forethought though!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I love mine.
Both cases leak about 3 tablespoons, while parked at work on a rainy day. I'll try repairs this summer.
Just get aluminum duct tape and cover seams. It is usually front outer corner plastic and if the bike was dropped harder backplate seams. If I knew this would happen I would cover them beforehand; not wait until sleeping bag and food supplies get wet.

·
Registered
109 Posts

I live in the desert and have never been bothered by engine heat. Certainly doesn't "boil your thighs and manly areas".

The bike has a small windshield so yea minimal wind protection. Buffeting can be a problem and there's various solutions. A Givi Airflow and KTM mirrors solved that for me. It's a personal solution though, a trial and error type deal.

Bike is fine at extended higher speeds. Here in the west US highway speeds are typically in the 80 mph range. Bike will cruise all day at those speeds, I've done it many times. Passing (at those speeds) takes a bit of forethought though!
Ok so I exaggerated abit, its not boiling , but for me the rear cylinder heat is very noticible and uncomfortable while cruising in city traffic speeds.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Do you have a part number for the KTM mirrors you bought?

·
Registered
700 Posts
My 2012 adv has 40,000 miles. Rides like a new bike and good to go for long trips. Side cases do leak a bit in heavy rain but I have dry bags for gear inside them. Top case has never leaked. Only issue I had was a need to replace the starter button around 30,000 miles as I never bothered to add the relay as discussed on this forum. Local mechanic did this one day, I ordered the part myself and the total cost was not great. The bike is very reliable and comfortable. I was fine with the stock seat, but a buddy sold me his unused Sargeant seat for a great price and my wife was ecstatic as she found the pillion position uncomfortable after an hour or so :)
So it all depends on what you will be paying. Be aware there are new bikes available at dealerships that are 1or 2 years old at significant discounts.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a 2012 DL650 Adv that I bought when new and first on showroom floor. I checked the valves myself at 21k miles (first check is recommended at 14k or something like that). No adjustment. I now have 51k miles on it. Just paid the shop to do the 14k mile service (because it included valve check and TB sync, bolt tightenings, etc.) so that I could have a 2nd set of eyes go over it. The stator recall was completed at 42k or so. Didn't have a problem with it. No other recalls on the serial number I have. Bike has seen all kids of weather and on and off road + extensive loaded 2 up riding and hasn't skipped a beat. No valve check necessary at 51k miles, TB sync was barely off. Hasn't needed anything other than the usual consumables. I did replace the suspension last year as it needed a refresh and the rear shock was about done but that's normal too. Hadn't completely blown yet but was showing signs of seepage. Fork still had original fork seals in it! I would never buy the bike again with the factory luggage and have replaced everything else that was extra and included in the adv. package but the luggage has been good. No leaks, holds a ton and is easy to get on and off. Locks suck and aluminum is thin but it was held up and still looks good. Long story short, the bike is super solid. If it has accessories that make you happy then go for it. If not then buy an unadulterated one and do it yourself. Enjoy whatever you end up with. Mine has been so solid that I just can't justify anything else no matter how much I want to. It's still got tons of life left in it. Good luck!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have had my 2013 DL650 now for 2 years, hasn't missed a beat, have her almost farkled up to the last, but lately I have not being enjoying the ride, I think I need to stick an exhaust on her, the stock one is quite I suppose for long days touring but it's sounds like a dishwasher or something at times I'm getting really fed up with it, also I think a new can might let her breathe better, been looking at the newer 1000 but I have this 650 so well farkled up to suit me, and the lower mpg and tyre wear of the 1000 isn't really appealing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i have had 2012 wee for 2 years bought it used with 17k and only put i5 or 6k miles on it......mine is so comfy, farkled and has so much life left it may be the last bike i ever have....haven't put a ton of miles on it but it has never let me down

1 - 20 of 22 Posts