StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm fairly sure I'm going to buy a Wee. Saw it in person in gray, will look around for the orange and think about it.

I will want some hard luggage. There appears to be the fairly stylish Givi stuff vs. that milk crate looking stuff.

Any non-obvious pros and cons of the pretty vs. the pretty ugly hard luggage?

Any gas mileage difference?

Thanks.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I was in Marshall for dinner at Shuler's Tuesday night and had a few beers.

Oh....and buy the best cases your money can buy. If you have never owned cases before I'd recommend anything from Givi, they are user friendly.

W

·
0 Posts
I got an E45 from Givi which is in between the milk crates and fancy egg-shaped boxes. Good quality and still affordable. I think it fits the look of the V-Strom.

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts
You can't do this with Givi, but you can with Pelican.

Did you use the standard Givi mount or the SW Moto quick release mount? :p

W

·
0 Posts
You can't do this with Givi, but you can with Pelican.
How often do you run over your cases with a car/truck? Unless you drop your bike every day or ride to the end of the world, Givi's will do just fine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Give Luggage

I have a Givi V46 Top Case and E Side cases with the Givi rack. They were on the bike when I bought them but were brand new (bike had only 600 km).

Things I like about them:

- They are huge, lots of storage.
- Waterproof in heavy rain and wet/sloppy roads.
- Remove/install in seconds so are easy to use as suitcases to carry into house or hotel etc.
- Very easy to access. Side cases can be accessed on the bike from the top without key (combo lock) or can be opened like a suitcase.
- Combo locks on side case allow for storage of spare keys (not a big deal till you need them 1000 km's from home)
- Look OK.
- have not broken or malfunctioned in any way, although I have not dropped the bike on them (or parked a truck on them).
- I leave the top box on and makes useful daily storage. Easily holds backpack with laptop in it, or two full face helmets.

Things I am not as crazy about:

- They are huge. This makes the bike very wide and you need to be cautious about clearance, both while riding and parking. Search this forum and you will find comments on this.
- I wish the rack was easier to remove like the SW MOTEC rack. I mostly ride without the side cases on. They are installed for overnight and longer trips only.

Good luck on your selection.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
22,242 Posts
How often do you run over your cases with a car/truck? Unless you drop your bike every day or ride to the end of the world, Givi's will do just fine.
I suspect only one hard drop on a Givi and the piece will be toast, in a lowside crash, your underwear will be strewn about, meanwhile the guy with the caribou setup will pick his bike up and ride away

the only advantage I would give to Givi if style is no concern, is maybe they will have enuf better aerodynamics that you might notice a slight difference in fuel economy on the highway

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I got the stylish 52 liter top box by Givi and the two semi stylish E45 side bags. With mounting brackets all about $800.00

Seem to be very good quality and worth it to me. I will be touring and need lots of space.

I had a 45 liter top box by Givi for three years on an XT600 and abused it regularly, it was water proof and held up fine.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I got rid of the Givis:

For the Jesses, which are stronger, more secure, and substantially narrower.

But the Givi mounting system is very convenient.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
I suspect only one hard drop on a Givi and the piece will be toast, in a lowside crash, your underwear will be strewn about, meanwhile the guy with the caribou setup will pick his bike up and ride away
Pelicans are stronger than Givi's, no question but IMO you're underestimating the Givi's it a bit here.

I've crashed with my Givi's. Did a number on the bike, managed to limp home but only barely over a short distance. My E41 came through with only some scuffing. It didn't even leak afterward, much less splatter my belongings all over the road. I eventually replaced the lid for aesthetic reasons, but that case is still very much in use.

Not the worst crash in the world, but a bit more than a drop...fairing stay and bodywork pushed over 2", forks bent, etc. Had it been any worse I wouldn't have been able to ride it and it wouldn't have mattered if the case held up or not.

The bike slid only the Givi, the bar end, and a bit of the fairing near the turn signal. The bag held nearly the entire bike off the ground during the slide.

I suppose if I were doing a lot of off-roading and planned to drop my bike frequently then the extra strength of the Pelicans would be more of a bonus. For normal riding the Givi's hold up just fine.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
the only advantage I would give to Givi if style is no concern, is maybe they will have enuf better aerodynamics that you might notice a slight difference in fuel economy on the highway
I doubt it. The Givis are a lot wider.

W

·
0 Posts
As with most things, you get what you pay for. Price comparison for 2 side cases and racks:

Givi E45 - $450
Caribou 40L - $800
Jesse Odessey - $1,100

Add a top box:
Givi E45 - $210
Caribou - $300
Jesse - $400

So when it comes to comparing the basic Givi vs Jesse for price, it is like comparing the DL650 with a BMW 1200GS. As in almost twice as much. The Jesse cases look great but a full set costs about 25% for what I paid for my new Wee.

In my opinion, it all depends on how often you use the cases and what type of riding you do.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Pelicans are stronger than Givi's, no question //
They are also much heavier. A Pelican 1550 - which seems to be what Caribou uses for their 35L system - weighs 10.6 lbs empty.

A Pelican 1550 has inside dimensions of 18.43" x 14" x 7.62" But the outer dimensions are 2.2" x 1.9" x .5" bigger. And they are side loaders.

Top loader versus side loader is a religious argument, but the Jesses don't weigh much more than Pelicans, have more inside/outside volume, are top loaders, and hold up well in crashes. And they cost a couple hundred more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've got the 'Afrika Single' aluminum panniers on my Wee; purchased for less than $300 a pair from the KLR650.com board. Mounted them to Givi side racks with just a few minor tweaks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I went with a little smaller bag then some of the before mentioned. I think it really depends on what look you are going for, for the bike itself and the purpose of the bag. I have the Givi V35's (which are 35 liter I think) in matte black whick the PLX532 racks. They were $660 for all the stuff. They look like they were made for the bike 2009 Wee (Silver).:var_40:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I was hesitant to get side loading cases at first, thinking I really wanted top loaders, but now that I have side loaders, I prefer them after watching people with top loaders
I had top loaders once. They were black holes. Things that went in never came out again. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
As with most things, you get what you pay for. Price comparison for 2 side cases and racks:

Givi E45 - $450
Caribou 40L - $800
Jesse Odessey - $1,100//
They must have gone up a lot: I paid $950 for Odyssey II's. Odysseys aren't made any longer for V-Stroms.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts