StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a page from OhioPT’s Project 7.5 (thanks OhioPT) but only added a custom 30mm spacer to increase the travel to 7” on my front forks. I had already raised the rear 1” and I wanted to raise the front about the same amount. After I reassembled the fork I ran into a problem with the lower brake line being to short on my ’09 Wee-ABS, so it was Blair to the rescue with a custom kit from Galfer. He worked with me and really took the time to get it right the first time. He even responded on a Saturday afternoon when I had a question about the install of the custom lines. I’ve heard nothing but good things about Blair and I for one can see why that is.:thumbup:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Follow up

I have put a few miles on after my changes and wanted to do a follow up. Also, in my original post I forgot to mention that I had modified my Intiminators AGAIN. I now have done every modification know to man plus a few tuning tricks of my own to these Intiminators. The additional 30mm of fork travel has completely transformed these forks, and I finally have the dampening working on small surface irregularities as well as pot holes. I have not had the time to do any really challenging off-road stuff yet, but I am sure this setup will be an huge improvement. I hated my stock suspension and lack of ground clearance, but with 30mm of additional ground clearance and much better dampening I am extremely happy with my suspension now.:thumbup::hurray:

·
Registered
213 Posts
By your judgment, what would the length of the spacer have to be to do without any kits in brake lines?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can only speak to bikes with ABS. I think you could easily go 20mm. To verify before making the spacer you could lift the bike so that the forks are fully extended then remove the screw holding the brake line on the fork leg and move the block down to see how much slack you have.:yesnod:
Before I bought the new brake lines I straightened the lower brake line fitting and I was so close to having it work. After a couple of days of considering the consequences of a brake line failure and the fact that later I am going to raise the handlebars and install a steering dampener which will require an extended line anyway I decided to give Blair a call. The lines I got are a little long, but I want to experiment with raising the bike some more maybe next year after I get some off-road miles on this setup.
Disclaimer::fineprint: I strongly recommend you no not try this.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks.
Was it possible to put the spacer in w/o fork disassemble only by taking the dampening road out? And what is your weight/ spring rate?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.
Was it possible to put the spacer in w/o fork disassemble only by taking the dampening road out? And what is your weight/ spring rate?

I had to take them apart to evaluate and measure stuff. Now that that's done I can try different lengths just by removing the dampening rod. Keeping the forks compressed all the way with the dampening rod out will hold the bottoming cup in place. Also I had to replaced the 8mm Soc. Hd. Cap Screw that holds the dampening rod with a 30mm longer one.
Don't do it! You could seriously hurt yourself or worse. :fineprint:

·
Registered
213 Posts
My 07 has no ABS. I, over cautious, cut only 20 mm spacers. Put them in, having only dampening rods out.

I have done about 1000 km of dirt roads on them.

Thoughts? Now I have 20 mm more travel, and it is still not a KTM, not by travel figures, not by personal feelings. Next year I will change them with 35 mm spacers.

Spacers are easy and cheap.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 07 has no ABS. I, over cautious, cut only 20 mm spacers. Put them in, having only dampening rods out.

I have done about 1000 km of dirt roads on them.

Thoughts? Now I have 20 mm more travel, and it is still not a KTM, not by travel figures, not by personal feelings. Next year I will change them with 35 mm spacers.

Spacers are easy and cheap.

It will never be a KTM, but for me that extra travel and ground clearance for basically the cost of changing the fork oil (I already had the Intiminators and raising links) and a few hours work was well worth it. Before adding the spacers, and even with the Intiminators, I was not at all happy with my front suspension, but now after adding the spacers, modifying (again) the Intiminators and changing to “heavier” fork oil I actually like the way the fork works. It’s still very plush for everyday riding, but the improvement in performance off-road is where I’m most impressed with the modifications. I probably will change to a longer travel shock in the near future, but for now I’m a happy camper.:thumbup:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sure thing, the spacers came last. Springs, valve emulators first.

For the rear, I got a CT last year, it is bigger than an MC of correct size, lifted the back by the same 2 cm, very noticeable.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Just got done doing this mod with the great help of ezrdr55. He had a spare set of the 30mm spacers that he, originally, sold me for $25. I had some difficulty getting them to drop into the oil lock piece and after some frustration, and numerous emails/calls to Dave finally ,after some "*******" engineering ,got em to fit. Dave was such a standup guy that he refunded me the $25. You don't see that much these days!!!I also installed Burkhart 1" lift linkage and already had a DL1000 shock, which is about 3/8" taller than DL650. I now have a TALLSTROM! Its got 7.0ish front and 7.5 ish rear travel. Not a KTM adventure but an improvement over the original design with a bit more travel, at least up front, and more importantly, a bit more ground clearance!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts