StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with G2 Ergonomics progressive throttle tube?
Likes?
Dislikes?
Worthwhile?

·
Registered
651 Posts
I didn't see where or how it is progressive??? Basically is it an aluminum throttle tube with a slick coating on the inside of both ends to make it turn easier.

Not sure if it is needed or not but FYI, I've never worn out a plastic throttle tube on a road bike, even in close to 127,000 miles on my tengai. Now on my dirt bikes I have worn them out because of the mud and sand getting in there.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The reel is out of round and works as a cam. The radius increases as the reel is turned so the same degree of turn at larger throttle openings pulls more cable length.

·
Registered
651 Posts
That makes sense. How well does it work? I assume it operates "slower" at lower throttle openings and "quicker" as you get to the higher one.

Is the lower opening made slower or does the increased openings just go faster than stock?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes sense. How well does it work? I assume it operates "slower" at lower throttle openings and "quicker" as you get to the higher one.

Is the lower opening made slower or does the increased openings just go faster than stock?
point of thread and the original question. but thanks for clarifying. ;)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I think it would be a personal choice. I bet some people will like it better because it allows a shorter throw and others won't like it because it's different. Those that find themselves WFO regularly will probably be most appreciative while those who prefer MPG over MPH will probably find it touchy, but not as touchy as a quick tube with only a larger reel all around.

·
Registered
860 Posts
My brother did something similar to his KTM 990. They have amazingly touchy throttles and a common mod is to dremel a flat spot on it to smooth out the throttle. Made quite a bit of difference.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I have the G2 throttle tube on my ST1300. It's designed to give more control at low throttle openings where an abrupt FI system can give you problems like jerkiness or breaking traction (hi speed cornering, parking lot handling or off road). It has no other noticeable effect and works well on the ST. The DL650 has good FI and is very smooth at just off-idle throttle openings so doesn't need one. It could help the 1000 off road though.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I have the G2 throttle tube on my ST1300. It's designed to give more control at low throttle openings where an abrupt FI system can give you problems like jerkiness or breaking traction (hi speed cornering, parking lot handling or off road). It has no other noticeable effect and works well on the ST. The DL650 has good FI and is very smooth at just off-idle throttle openings so doesn't need one. It could help the 1000 off road though.
this is what i was looking for. an answer with experience. the Vee throttle is just too sensitive in the initial turn. i think i'll give a try and write a review after.

I think i'll have to see if they'd use my TTR230 to proto a quick turn one for it. cuz it sucks stock.

awe crap!! they're in Illinois.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The G2 cam was an excellent addition to my KTM 300 XC-W (2 stroke).

The slower opening cam at smaller throttle opening was a welcome addition to the 300, which can be quite a handful when on the pipe. It does its best work for me when I am dog tired in a harescramble, forearms pumped, hands numb, and I dont have quite the fine motor skill control of the throttle that I did at the beginning of the race.

G2 also has a cam that opens the throttle faster, useful in Motocross I guess. Not entirely sure what the benefit could be to a strom.

You can change the cams on the throttle tube, mine came with 3

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The G2 cam was an excellent addition to my KTM 300 XC-W (2 stroke).

The slower opening cam at smaller throttle opening was a welcome addition to the 300, which can be quite a handful when on the pipe. It does its best work for me when I am dog tired in a harescramble, forearms pumped, hands numb, and I dont have quite the fine motor skill control of the throttle that I did at the beginning of the race.

G2 also has a cam that opens the throttle faster, useful in Motocross I guess. Not entirely sure what the benefit could be to a strom.

You can change the cams on the throttle tube, mine came with 3
thanks for your input.
they don't make the adjustable tube for street bikes. they use their 400 profile on the street tubes. I would use the quick cam on my TTR230 because the rotation of the throttle is huge on that thing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
thanks for your input.
they don't make the adjustable tube for street bikes. they use their 400 profile on the street tubes. I would use the quick cam on my TTR230 because the rotation of the throttle is huge on that thing.
Dorzok,
Did you ever order one of these? I just placed an order for one, guess we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dorzok,
Did you ever order one of these? I just placed an order for one, guess we'll see how it goes.
nope. the industry i work in is way down, work is down and money's been tight. but, i bought new grips and the OEM throttle tube isn't conducive to using after market grips without modification. so, i might just have to bight the bullet and get an $80 trottle tube so i can install my $15 grips. :D gotta love it.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
A little work with your Dermel and aftermarket grips go fine. I've tried a couple different grips on my Vee and, once I trimmed the throttle tube, its easy.

nope. the industry i work in is way down, work is down and money's been tight. but, i bought new grips and the OEM throttle tube isn't conducive to using after market grips without modification. so, i might just have to bight the bullet and get an $80 trottle tube so i can install my $15 grips. :D gotta love it.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
There are a couple of throttle response/G2 Ergo threads on the forum right now. Has anyone installed one on a DL1000 and is it worth it?

Chap, if you get one it would be great to know how it works out.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone have experience with G2 Ergonomics progressive throttle tube?
Likes?
Dislikes?
Worthwhile?
Bit the bullet and bought one. low speed, low gear, low throttle is much easier to control. no noticeable difference in acceleration from stop. easy install, no adjustment to cable was needed. OD is a little larger than stock so grip is a little harder to get on (replaced the OEM with http://www.spidergrips.com/index.html, throttle side is too short or the tube is too long by 1/4"). don't know that it's worth the 80 bucks. is nicely made though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts