StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Vendor
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

PROGRESSIVE SUSPENSION

Progressive Suspension (an american company) offers two very high quality shocks for V-Stroms at better pricing than the expensive imports. One with remote pre-load, and the same shock with without remote pre-load for those looking to save money or r simply set their sag and leave it.

Feedback on these shocks has been resoundingly positive.

465 SERIES SHOCK
WITH REMOTE ADJUSTABLE PRE-LOAD (R.A.P.)

Picture
Progressive Suspension has added their new R.A.P. (Remote Adjustable Preload) to their 465 series line of high performance monoshocks. The 46mm bore shock is also stuffed with features like deflective disc damping, threaded body and a 5 position rebound adjuster. Setting it up to perfectly match your bike, weight and riding style is now a few clicks away. Includes remote mounting bracket.

Retail: $745.90

Our Price: Just $671.00
Go here to order

465 SERIES SHOCK
Picture
Completely new, the 465 Series represents state of the art high pressure gas monotube shock design. It utilizes a large 46mm bore and deflective disc piston for precise damping. The beefy 16mm hard chrome shaft rides on custom viton seals for low friction and leak free life. The 465 is custom tuned for each application and is completely optimized for each bike, from the damping and spring rate all the way down to the jounce bumper.

Retail: $570.00

Our Price: Just $513.00
Go here to order.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,103 Posts
I think I want one of these for my Vee. Do I place an order, and then we discuss what spring stiffness it needs (according to my weight and planned load etc)? Or how does that work?

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,103 Posts
That's not going to work for me then. According to the Racetech spring calculator I need about twice stock stiffness. Oh well.

·
Registered
453 Posts
desert, for what it's worth, the range of needed spring rates DL:1000 for 175 pound to 260 pound riders is between 625 and 700 pound per inch. Sometimes you can down too 600, but seldom over 700 unless you're the incredible hulk. Perhaps Rich can check where it fits in that range. Watch out for some fo the online spring calculators, they can give some pretty crazy numbers. I remember the Penske one wanted 900 lb/in for me. After working with one of our best suspension guys, I ended up at 625. which accommodate me solo at 180 but also my lovely missus at 140.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,103 Posts
I tried to check my math elsewhere, but without success.

If I really only need 10% more stiffness that's great.

I'm really not keen on paying $1000+ for a new custom shock, if a reasonable alternative exists.

Our combined load approaches 450 lb (before luggage) so I don't know where that leaves us.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,103 Posts
That's the tough thing. 2-up time is maybe 1/3 of miles, so there's no one setup that will always be perfect. Maybe I can get close enough though.

I'll be happy if I can avoid bottoming out over speed bumps with both of us on, and if I can make the ride not-miserable for my passenger.

According to Racetech the stock spring is 8.2 kg/mm. That's 463 lb./in.

800 lb./in. is about 14.2 kg/mm.

OEM + 10% would be 9.0 kg/in or 508 lb/in. Not enough, sadly.

·
Registered
453 Posts
True dat. But 800 pound per inch is way too much. A few guys here that weighs as much as 270 have tried springs that heavy and have always come back down to around the 700 mark. For what its worth here is what in would do (and apologize for fitting numbers to you and your wide). If you're travelling 1/3 of the time with your wife and that 450 pound split is 250 you and 200 your wife, I'd probably go with 700 pounds so your solo ride isn't too bad. If the split were more like 275/175, I'd go with 725 lb/in since it would be better with that much total weight and still wold not get too stiff when you're riding alone.

Good luck.

·
Registered
464 Posts
DesertBike-

If the older 1000s and 650s have a similar linkage ratio, then you might be pretty close with the 800 lb spring. (the 14+ 1000s have a different linkage ratio than a 650, with the same suspension travels but the 1000 has a longer stroke shock) On my 05 650, I had a 700 lb spring which was a very good compromise for me to ride solo and two up. I would back off the preload to ride solo and crank up preload to ride two-up. I'm at 185 lb and my passenger 160 lb.

I don't know you & your passenger's weights, but also consider that the older Vee has additional weight too.

If you're wanting to try an 800 lb spring, Summit sells the spring for $70. Eibach 0800.225.0800

Hope all this helps.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Even on my '02, the stock shock was pretty decent, as stock shocks go.
I cannot overstate how big a difference in ride and handling going to a quality aftermarket shock made. Less harshness, better controlled movement. If my BMW didn't already have a pretty good shock (with ESA), I'd probably consider upgrading it. I know my Fazer 8 could have really used one. Compared to my RT it was a pogo stick when ridden back to back (as I recently did, before selling it).

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,103 Posts
Have been shopping around and getting quotes. It seems that I cannot get an aftermarket shock with both appropriately-customized spring rate, and knob-adjustable preload, even with paying over $1000. Well, OK.

I think I'll just get another used shock to Sasquatch, to complete the rebuild we originally discussed. He has all the parts now, so it shouldn't take long. I made an offer on another used DL1000 shock on eBay this morning.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Ona eve it would be ideal for a 160 to 170 pound rider who travels mostly solo. If you weigh 250 and ride double often, it ain't going to work. Slovcan has my old shock with 600 pound spring so he can chrome in.

It is about 1`0 to 15 per cent stiffer than stock

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Ona eve it would be ideal for a 160 to 170 pound rider who travels mostly solo. If you weigh 250 and ride double often, it ain't going to work. Slovcan has my old shock with 600 pound spring so he can chrome in.

It is about 1`0 to 15 per cent stiffer than stock
Here I am! Yes, I have David's bike. I weigh 210-215 lbs in my gear. When I picked up the bike David cranked up the preload a bit since he had it set for himself (guessing 180-190 in riding gear?). I ride alone and have had the bags and trunk loaded a few times. The 600 pound spring is great for me as set, but as I said, I never ride 2 up. I also ride 99% pavement so far and the other 1% has been dirt/gravel roads and the rail bed trail. I expect a 625 pound spring would be perfect for me.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Vendor
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I was about 235 pounds fully dressed to ride and the Wilbers spring swap out on my stock shock made a huge difference on my DL650. By myself and with my wife on the back and fully loaded with luggage.

I have written and erased a few paragraphs here about the suspension lore, wizards, magicians and their need and ability to maintain the idea of the perfect set up for you as an individual.

I wonder what RichDesmond formerly of Sonic springs thinks about this subject. Might take a beer and cheeseburger to loosen him up though.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,103 Posts
eBay sellers who put "make offer" on an item, then repeatedly refuse offers for 90% or more of their asking price without even making a counteroffer, are rude idiots, just putting that out there.

I don't have to put up with that - plenty of used DL1000 shocks for sale elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts