StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looked at my renewal premium (6 month) with Progressive. Huge increase around $100 to $625 (2 bikes). Was told CA rates changed. (no kidding) Checked with State Farm where I have my home/truck. Same coverage for $265. savings of $360 for 6 months!
Pays to make a phone call.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I did the same thing a few years back.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Geico $361 a year for 3 bikes. I guess that's one benefit of getting older and slowing down my riding habits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
858 Posts
I don't have a clue why but for some reason my bike insurance is sky high no matter who it's with.
I swapped the bank over to USAA and they don't do motorcycles but even before then AllState was bending me over.
This with years and years of no accidents and one speeding ticket 8 years ago.
Progressive with the AMA discount and paying up front is about what the OP quoted!
I will be shopping come start of the year but I wonder if it's because of Austin population growth and increase in accidents.
Some of our recent imports can't drive for squat - Massachusetts, California, Maryland, Illinois factor prominently in my close encounters.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
My car / truck / farm insurer won't cover my bike so I use Progressive - liability only. $75 / year.

·
Registered
314 Posts
1 bike USAA doesn't do bike but got a decent rate with progressive thru USAA. Granted I'm in WV, but full coverage on a 12 yr old bike is $170 a year

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
I also have Progressive through USAA. My 2013 in MA is $276/yr and my 2012 in AZ is $155/yr

·
Registered
840 Posts
I think it has to do with if you are in a no fault State or not. My insurance went up 30% when I moved from the left coast to Alabama.

Reactions: SECoda

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
I swapped all my insurance (house, two trucks, two bikes) from Safeco/Progressive to State Farm a couple of months ago when I moved, and save about 20%.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
150.00 year, full coverage with accessories, Progressive, NC.

I don't have a clue what drives rates. Allstate is twice that for the bike, but my cars are half with Allstate over what Progressive would charge. It makes no sense.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,439 Posts
Don't think being loyal to your insurance company pays off. Shop around.

Some companies won't do bikes. I have AAA for cars and home because Progressive ( formerly cheapest car insurance ) the combined rate was much better. So shop around.

I found Allstate much cheaper for my bikes. I have a '14 BMW RT, '12 DL 650, '14 Super Tenere, 75 Honda MR 175 on my policy. With the exception of the Honda, all have collision, comprehensive with decent coverage. I think the last policy ( I pay a year in one payment ) was under $500 for the year for all of them.

States are different. But ain't a dang thing you can do about that.......

·
Registered
15,614 Posts
It's called Progressive because it progressively goes higher...DOH!
I have everything with State Farm and I'm over insured. I should look into getting the PLPD and be done with full coverage on all my old vehicles.
I could afford the Metamucil then.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Chicago and you others who are using State Farm, be sure to double check how much medical coverage you have, I was told here in Peoria Il. that they only offer $1000.00 worth of medical coverage. Yeah, that'll cover it.

Reactions: wingstrom

·
Registered
858 Posts
Don't think being loyal to your insurance company pays off. Shop around.

Some companies won't do bikes. I have AAA for cars and home because Progressive ( formerly cheapest car insurance ) the combined rate was much better. So shop around.

I found Allstate much cheaper for my bikes. I have a '14 BMW RT, '12 DL 650, '14 Super Tenere, 75 Honda MR 175 on my policy. With the exception of the Honda, all have collision, comprehensive with decent coverage. I think the last policy ( I pay a year in one payment ) was under $500 for the year for all of them.

States are different. But ain't a dang thing you can do about that.......
When I lived in Tennessee Allstate was like $220 a year for my bike - full coverage.
Moved to Austin and they wanted $750! Their excuse was I moved.
My agent was a nice guy and continued to carry me in Tennessee.
This year I decided to do it "right" and Allstate essentially told me to bend over - in spite of me having lived here 7 years now, and having been a customer for over 20 years..

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Check through 3rd party brokers as well. Progressive Direct was raping me. I went though an insurance broker in Florida and they saved me a big chunk of money even though Progressive underwrites the policy.

Reactions: Brojon

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I switched a while back (10 years) to Foremost. Excellent coverage and lots of various discounts including multiple motorcycles in a single MC license household.
I had to make a claim a couple of months ago. Phoned them / they said take it to a Suzuki dealer for an estimate / they deposited the amount directly into my bank account / 3 days / covered my jacket, boots, helmet as well
https://www.foremost.com/products/motorcycle/

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Every time I have been in one of these motorcycle insurance threads we find out that we are comparing apples and oranges. In a given zip code for identical coverage I found a lot less difference among the various carriers than I though there would be at first. Coverage differences, deductibles, and medical made up the major differences. In a few cases a carrier may have a reputation for weaker coverage on some things in the fine print than others. I found this in home owners insurance as well. Just throwing out the premiums doesn't mean much by itself. If you have a lien - you may be stuck with a higher rate since the opportunities to self-insure are more limited.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Agree SECoda

I have USSA, which uses Progressive. USAA may soon offer bike ins. but if so the underwriting will be done by Progressive. My ph adjuster at Prog said she just did USAA. Anyway, there was an almost shocking reduction from Allstate. This even though I kept my jumbo liability limits on bike as on my whole fleet. I did not get medical payments because I have other coverage for that. OTH my son had all coverage with USAA but when his daughters starting driving, the added premium was unbelievable, like $300 PER MONTH PER WOMAN with USAA so he shopped and switched. I think SECoda's zip code is on the money. I'd add your credit score and driving record are also influential. I hope there is a difference between an R-6 and DL 650 but don't know about it. I also got thingee where if bike is totaled or stolen, they pay for another bike like yours instead of the much lower ACValue and I get $2k more for farkles, which is nice for skid plates, engine guards, hand guards, and my Zumo.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I don't have a clue why but for some reason my bike insurance is sky high no matter who it's with.
I swapped the bank over to USAA and they don't do motorcycles but even before then AllState was bending me over.
This with years and years of no accidents and one speeding ticket 8 years ago.
Progressive with the AMA discount and paying up front is about what the OP quoted!
I will be shopping come start of the year but I wonder if it's because of Austin population growth and increase in accidents.
Some of our recent imports can't drive for squat - Massachusetts, California, Maryland, Illinois factor prominently in my close encounters.
Take the medical out

Visited provinces:

Visited states:

·
Registered
84 Posts
My understanding is that some insurance companies use your credit rating as a factor in pricing. Can't validate that though. May explain why some people pay more for insurance with someone else who has the same driving record.

My experience is you have to shop around every few years. We had the issue where our cars were now five years old and the insurance rate was the same as when we purchased them. Obviously the insurance company wasn't going to reimburse the same if we totalled one. Moved to another company and the rates dropped dramatically.

They love people who don't shop around. They get you in at a low price then ease it up a bit every year without you noticing (normally). Some agent is getting a nice bonus.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts