StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Id looked into it more I probably would have went with the Sonics but the Pro's just got to the door today.
After opening them up Ive got a question. Are the PVC tubes that comes with the springs cut to length? Also looking at the service manuel just how far do you have to disassemble the forks to replace the spring once its off the bike? Can the stock one just be pulled out from the shock and new one slid over the damper rod?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well shock are off and apart. No the PVC is not cut to length. Progressive springs are two inches shorter then stock. Well shorter then the stock ones after taking a beating. Service manual says replace the stock ones if there shorter then 17.4 inches. Mine are at an even 17.
Do I just add 2 and a half inches to the length of the stock spacer and cut the PVC to that length?
Do I cut it to make the combination of spring and spacer flush with the extended fork so the pre-load starts as you tighten the cap down?

Sounds like if Id bought Sonics Id have answers. Damn it! Live and learn.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Come on now all the "experts" on here and no help. Where's Greywolf!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I have Sonic springs. Besides, JohnofChar answered your question at VSRI and most of what I know about V-Stroms came from reading his stuff. I thought for a moment of posting to shim the spring so it came just above the top of the tube because that's where I remembered the Sonics came to but they are not progressive and I wasn't sure I remembered correctly. I believe John said 1/2" to 3/4" above the tube.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I had feelers out on both site's. Went with 3/4. What a PITA to start that cap back on but with some persistence its done. It'll still be a couple of months before I can feel the change. Im sure it'll be a big one. Thinking about that group buy for an Elka shock too. Winters in Alaska are hard on the wallet! Thanks for the response.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Yea I had feelers out on both site's. Went with 3/4. What a PITA to start that cap back on but with some persistence its done. It'll still be a couple of months before I can feel the change. Im sure it'll be a big one. Thinking about that group buy for an Elka shock too. Winters in Alaska are hard on the wallet! Thanks for the response.
You've got too much preload. See the "Note A" section here for directions on cutting the spacers to the right length.

http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/damper_rod_forks_tech_article.php

1 - 7 of 7 Posts