StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This shock has been available for awhile now, wondered if anyone has tried one with or without the remote preload.

Cheers!

·
Ex- moderator
1,131 Posts
Have you bought one?....if so- where did you get it, and how much did it cost?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey bob, no I havn't bought one. The cheapest price I have seen so far for the 465 is at Murphskits. 685.00 with remote and 395.00 without. Seems like a massive amount of money for the remote adjust feature. If I didnt alter my loads so much, I would probably try the non remote one.

cheers

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Hey bob, no I havn't bought one. The cheapest price I have seen so far for the 465 is at Murphskits. 685.00 with remote and 395.00 without. Seems like a massive amount of money for the remote adjust feature. If I didnt alter my loads so much, I would probably try the non remote one.

cheers
I can't give you a testimony on the Progressive shock. But, I can give you one on a similar product.

Because I ride "one up" and the amount of gear I load up for a trip weighs, at the most, 50lbs, I felt I had no need for the additional expense of a remote preload adjuster.

My factory shock failed at a little less then 30,000 miles. I replaced it with a Hyperpro 460 from these folks: High performance motorcycle suspension sales and service from EPM Performance Imports. It comes with a 5 year warranty.

This shock has survived 65,000 miles of abuse. I am not a "brand loyal" person in any segment of my life; (I don't care if a drive a Ford, Chevy, Honda; listen to a Sony, Harmon Karden, Bang & Olufsen; and so on.). But, if I were to replace a rear shock on ANY motorcycle, that I was currently riding, I would first see if a Hyperpro would fit the bike before considering ANY other product.

You can see the shock I installed here: http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-how/29030-dl650-rear-shock-20-ways-renew-your-lover.html

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
This shock has been available for awhile now, wondered if anyone has tried one with or without the remote preload.

Cheers!
I put one on my 2009 just before my trip to South Dakota and Wisconsin this year. I was worried about the lack of a remote preload adjuster but in the end I realized even with the stocker once I set it I just left it alone.

I very seldom right two up and if I do it is usually for a short distance.

For my trips I have learned less is more and I generally don't load up the bike too much. Maybe 50 lbs max.

Overall I am very happy with the 465.

The big bonus for me is I picked one up for $300 from a shop that was unloading some old inventory.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Phat Performance Parts has the 465-1162 at $370 plus $38 shipping to Canada and free US shipping. The 465-5007 is remote adjustable at $560.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phat Performance Parts has the 465-1162 at $370 plus $38 shipping to Canada and free US shipping. The 465-5007 is remote adjustable at $560.
hmmm...very interesting...:beatnik:

might just have to check that one out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm torn about what to do with the suspension on my K9 DL1000... I don't really mind spending the money, but there are a ton of options and some are pricy without any doubt. Seeing that I paid $7500 for the bike, hard for me to dump over a grand into the suspension. However, I do have plans of keeping this thing for several years, maybe it's worth the cash. Bought the bike for a change and in addition to my Gold Wing, in which I dropped some cash on a Traxxion system for the front and rear. My intention is to do some off pavement riding with this bike and it has 30,000 miles on it already, so it probably needs work right away. The front springs suck to say the least and I noticed that immediately the first time I rode the bike. Think I'll go with Race Tech fork springs and get the shock rebuilt with some type of upgraded spring. Maybe a stock shock and Wilber spring. I think it Wilber? Up in NJ where they do OEM rebuilds...

Manwell

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thought I would bump this up as its been some time now that this shock is available.

Anyone get one yet with the remote?

Thinking that I will pull the trigger soon, as my original shock is still on my Wee.

Cheers!

·
Registered
522 Posts
We need a shoot out with a rebuilt Susquatch shock
I can't comment on a rebuilt shock by Sasquatch on V-Strom or WeeStrom. I can comment on the rebuilt shock and forks Sasquatch did on my FJR. Huge, Huge difference. Because it is winter I have only put about 3,000 miles on the newly rebuilt FJR suspension ... but is a HUGE improvement over what came stock, when I bought the Feejer with 3,167miles on the odometer.

So I certainly would not be afraid of going the Sasquatch route on either DL.

As an aside, I have no interest (financial or family) in Suspension by Sasquatch. I am merely a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Progressive shock

Just put the remoteless one my SVstrom and have done about 400 miles. It has performed very well on road. Haven`t yet had it off-road, but am expecting good things based on what I have seen so far.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Just put the remoteless one my SVstrom and have done about 400 miles. It has performed very well on road. Haven`t yet had it off-road, but am expecting good things based on what I have seen so far.
Does the literature that came with the shock tell you what the spring rate is?

I've been trying to find that kind of info on their web site, and they just ain't telling. :headbang:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does the literature that came with the shock tell you what the spring rate is? I've been trying to find that kind of info on their web site, and they just ain't telling. :headbang:
Spring rate for the Progressive Suspension 465 shock (part# 465-5007) is listed as 9.11 kg/mm to 11.16 kg/mm (it's a progressive rate spring...not a single rate spring, so the 'stiffness' increases as the shock compresses.)

For comparison, the OEM spring rate for the DL650 is listed as 8.2 kg/mm (per Race Tech's excellent website.) Hope that helps you out.
Michael in Aurora, CO ('04 DL650)

·
Registered
470 Posts
A shiny new Progressive 465, 1" lower ride height version, arrived in my mailbox yesterday. :mrgreen:

You can see the reduced length, and also a thicker spring and larger yet shorter shock body. With the shorter stroke the spring rate is higher - 10.71/12.50 kg/mm (600/700 lb/in). The spring rate is printed on the side of the spring, which I thought was a nice touch.

Of course I had to install it. A few observations, in no particular order:

- It has a spherical self-aligning bushing at the top mount, and out of the box it isn't properly lubed at all. I only comment on that because the instructions don't tell you to lube it first. It's easy to swing out and grease though.

- That same spherical bushing means that the shock body can rotate with respect to the frame by about 30 degrees each way, and it will try to do just that every time you mess with the pre-load adjustment. :headbang:

- The shock comes with two tools - a hex key to adjust the rebound damping, and a neat little pin wrench widget for the pre-load nuts that has a 3/8" square socket instead of a handle. Having adjusted the pre-load I now understand why they chose a tool without a handle. I also now understand why they gave you the hex key - the rebound adjuster is SAE, not metric. :thumbdown:

- Pre-load adjustment isn't difficult but it is a bit of a pain. If you have an ABS bike like mine there is very little room around the shock for any sort of wrench, and no room to swing a handle.

- Start by removing the seat. You'll need a 3/8" ratchet drive, enough extension bits to give you 12" or so, and something like an open-ended wrench of the right size to wedge between the frame and the shock at the top mount so that it doesn't rotate. You then thread the extensions down from behind the gas tank, beside the shock, until you get to the adjustment rings and snap on the widget. Lots of little turn-and-reseat, turn-and-reseat from there to make any progress.

- While it claims 1" reduced ride height I doubt that it really is. I had been riding with Murph's 3/4" lowering links on my stock shock, and after swapping over to the 465 with the stock links, the extended height was identical. I remember reading somewhere that Murph's lowering links gave you a pretty exact 3/4" drop, so I'm inclined to believe that the 465 - 1" is really a 465 - 3/4".

Weather sucks today but tomorrow looks promising for a test ride. I'll report back after that. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I like my Elka shock with adjustments for high and low velocity compression damping as well as rebound damping. I didn't get the remote preload adjuster and saved money. Only a few other shocks have adjustable compression damping. there is no need for a progressive wind shock spring, because the rear linkage gives progressive action. Having a choice of springs to match the rider's actual loaded riding weight is important. Jay at Sasquatch does an excellent job, but be sure you are clear with him on how you ride, and whether you want firm or plush damping.

·
Registered
470 Posts
First impressions:

When I did my front forks with new springs and emulators the difference from stock was huge. With the new Progressive 465 on the rear the difference over stock is much less pronounced.

Immediately noticeable is the shorter stroke and higher spring rate. Twist the throttle coming out of a tight turn and the rear doesn't sag down nearly as much.

Comfort seems about the same. In spite of the stiffer spring it doesn't jolt you on bigger bumps any more than the stock shock.

Lastly it seems to track a bit better. There's a section of repeatedly patched pavement close to my home where the stock shock would let the rear tire hop a bit. The rear tire was better planted on this patch with new one.

It's no Elka, but then again what do you expect for $362. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought a 465 RAP for about 500 bucks and all the fasteners on the Remote have rusted up bad in no time. Im going to contact progessive about it. It's definitely better for loaded and two up riding.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I have the 465; got one as soon as it was available with the remote preload adjuster. I like it fine. Rust noted on the preload adjuster, but doesn't seem to be a problem.

Even in its stiffest position, though, it's barely adequate for 2-up riding with camping gear. I haven't bottomed out, but the sag is a little more than it should be with the bike at full rated capacity.

The ride quality is worlds better than the stock mattress spring.

I will note that a slight bit of filing was required to get the top lug to mate up, but I managed.

I will also note that Progressive's original manual was wrong. They specified a minimum spring length of 7.52", which just happened to be the length of the spring in its unloaded, fully-extended position. Ergo, by the book, no adjustment was possible. I contacted Progressive and learned that was a misprint; the correct minimum spring length is 7.40".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts