StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the standard Zuk shield with a Givi last week. Wow what a wonderful windshield and only $101 at RLmotorcycles. The calm air, the no buffeting, it was like smooth air heaven. But this was short-lived as soon my Madstad mount allowed the windshield to tilt back once I reached speeds above 70mph. Stopped, retightened the wingnuts, back on the road and wham the shield rotates back again. Stopped, took the wingnuts apart, cleaned the washers and lock washers, retightened the wing nuts, and back on the road. This held for about 5 miles then again the shield rotated back again. I realize that the larger surface area of the Givi puts more strain on the Madstad bracket but I was under the impression that the madstad was up to the task. Has anyone else experienced this problem and how did you solve it? My system has the twin wingnut configuration and I have really cranked it as tight as possible.

·
Registered
416 Posts
When you say wingnut, are these round knobs? I have just installed the Madstad on my new Wee with the Givi shield and have had no problems even in high winds and 90+ mph. Someone else reported the same problem a few months ago though. I have heard of no others with the problem on the new bracket design.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say wingnut, are these round knobs? I have just installed the Madstad on my new Wee with the Givi shield and have had no problems even in high winds and 90+ mph. Someone else reported the same problem a few months ago though. I have heard of no others with the problem on the new bracket design.
My Madstad does not have any knobs. It has the twin wingnut with lock washer fasteners.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have just bought a brand spanking new MadStad and it comes with the round tightening knobs. I have tried the MRA but still buffet and so will be trying the GIVI next.

One of my knobs came loose due to the vibrations from the engine. A fix would be to mark where the fitting works best and then replace the knobs (or wingnuts) with two lock nuts. Should never move again!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Are the nuts loosening up? If so have you thought of putting some loctite on the threads? Another thing that may help is a thin rubber washer to put between the bracket and the bolt or nut. If it is staying tight an just slipping where it is metal on metal the rubber washer should help give it more grip.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
For $6, you can upgrade to the newer adjustment knobs:

Replacement Adjustment Knobs for MadStad AWM
SKU: AWM-AK
This is a set of round plastic adjustment knobs with stainless steel screw inserts. They replace the wing screw adjusters that were included with earlier series MadStad adjustable windshield mounts.
THESE KNOBS ARE STANDARD EQUIPMENT ON ALL NEW MADSTAD MOUNTS. They improve the look and are easier to grip than the previous wing screws.
Simple drop-in replacement, they also come with rubberized sealing washers for a strong hold, and stainless track nuts that allow one-handed adjustment.
http://www.madstad.com/servlet/Detail?no=8

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
Replaced the standard Zuk shield with a Givi last week. Wow what a wonderful windshield and only $101 at RLmotorcycles. The calm air, the no buffeting, it was like smooth air heaven. But this was short-lived as soon my Madstad mount allowed the windshield to tilt back once I reached speeds above 70mph. Stopped, retightened the wingnuts, back on the road and wham the shield rotates back again. Stopped, took the wingnuts apart, cleaned the washers and lock washers, retightened the wing nuts, and back on the road. This held for about 5 miles then again the shield rotated back again. I realize that the larger surface area of the Givi puts more strain on the Madstad bracket but I was under the impression that the madstad was up to the task. Has anyone else experienced this problem and how did you solve it? My system has the twin wingnut configuration and I have really cranked it as tight as possible.
I have the wing nuts on mine, but I tightened the bottom lock nut that just slides up and down. (just a little) I get less vibration and it stays locked up now.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have the Madstad with a Givi screen and have had the same problem with the shield angling all the way back under high speeds. I have the newer design with the plastic adjustment knobs and not the wing nuts. The adjustment knobs are still very tight but the screen is tilted back. I have not contacted Mark about the issue yet. The proposed solutions that people have listed here, loctite, nylocks may work but also ruin the entire concept of an adjustable windshield mount.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did indeed contact the good folks at Madstad and Mark has emailed back to say that he is sending me some new fasteners that should solve the problem. In the interim, I have replaced the small washers andlock nuts with larger items and added soft rubber washers on the inside and outside of each bracket. Lastly I cranked on each set of wingnuts to the point of brain hemorrhage then marked the position with whiteout. Can you believe it. They still move at speeds above 70mph. Not nearly as much as before but the mounts still can't hold the load of the larger Givi shield. But on the bright side when the shield is in place it does a fabulous job of cleaning up the air around the face. I can actually hear that the motor sounds like the car on the old Jetson's cartoon.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I'm not sure whats different but I have a original madstad bracket (wing nuts) and my givi shield does not move under pressure. It did for a little while, then i removed and re tightened the nuts and I've not had a problem since. I realize this does not help too much, but at least you know its possible that there is a solution. Now if only I can figure out how to get rid of that darn plasticy rattle that emanates from the first set of nuts lowest on the shield I'll be happy.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
Now if only I can figure out how to get rid of that darn plasticy rattle that emanates from the first set of nuts lowest on the shield I'll be happy.
I just tightened mine a little, enough that you have to tug a little for it to slide, no rattle. That also helped the wing nuts stay tight.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the Madstad mount with the wing nuts and GIVI shield and have no problems. I have had it over 90 (true GPS) with no movement. I have put 1500 miles on it without changing it after the initial adjustment.
I think this is why. I have the bracket mounted to the bike in the highest position and the shield at or near the lowest position on the adjustable part of the bracket. That puts a higher percentage of the shield surface below the pivot point of the mount. So the wind force pushes on the bottom and offsets some of the backward force on the top. It is not quite in balance but much closer than if you mount the bracket to the bike in a lower position and then set the adjustable part high. In that configuration most of the shield is above the pivot point and is almost cantilevered and provides the wind a long lever arm to twist the shield backwards. Too much force for the poor little bolts to handle.
You can still get the shield quite high this way, I am 6’4” and I have it adjusted so I can just see over it. I get no buffeting and no bugs on my face shield. :D
Give it a try.
John

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have the wing nuts on mine, but I tightened the bottom lock nut that just slides up and down. (just a little) I get less vibration and it stays locked up now.
Ditto. Makes a huge difference with the Givi. Takes some UUmph to adjust now, but I've got it dialed so I don't muck about with it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Which GIVI windscreen are people using? The D260ST (the one they sell on Twisted Throttle)?

I'm not having any luck with the Madstad and my stock screen. My head is vibrating like a...thing that vibrates a lot.

Also - do you look over the shield? I sure hope so - I don't want to look through. It's fine when the shield is new and clean, but that doesn't last long...

- Bob

·
Registered
888 Posts
I have the D260ST and Madstad. It has round knob with wingnut on each side. When I set it up I tightened the bottom bolts as much as poss while still allowing the screen to slide up and down. This is done by tapping with palm on the top or bottom edge. It has been fine up to 115mph. It is best full up and full back on the road but on gravel roads, 1/2 up and full back for good ,over the screen, visibility. My.02cents

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Which GIVI windscreen are people using? The D260ST (the one they sell on Twisted Throttle)?

I'm not having any luck with the Madstad and my stock screen. My head is vibrating like a...thing that vibrates a lot.

Also - do you look over the shield? I sure hope so - I don't want to look through. It's fine when the shield is new and clean, but that doesn't last long...

- Bob
That's the same shield as mine. I have the bracket in the middle holes and out of the box I set the shield at 1/2 up and 1/2 back and the improvement was tremendous up to 60 to 65 mph. I tilted it up more to 3/4 up and 7/8 verticle and I had even less wind at higher speeds but the bracket will not hold at this position. Herculean tightening of the lower nuts and soft rubber washers at the top wingnuts has helped some but it still tilts down at speeds of 65+ or on anything less than perfectly flat pavement. The paint on the inside on one bracket has scraped off but only on the one bracket. I hve no idea if this means anything. Mark is supposed to be sending some new fasteners but I recently moved and my mail delivery is still less than stellar. I have noticed though that most of the "buffetting" or wind that I get now is from my hand guards and the mirrors.

·
Registered
961 Posts
My Madsted also would tilt as I rode, I just added some star lock washers between the brackets, problem solved.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My Givi showed up Thursday and I took it for a long ride yesterday.

I'm 6'0. I didn't want to look through it, or even have the edge intruding into my field of vision, so I mounted the Madstad in the lowest position.

I never totally got rid of the buffeting above 60 mph, but it's relatively subtle now. The best position I've found so far is with the Madstad slid all the way down and tilted all the way back. Even though that theoretically drops the point of turbulence lower on my helmet, the tilt-back seems to mitigate it some so the net is a smoother experience.

I wish I could get rid of the turbulence altogether but I'm not sure what else to try. If I stand up it's nice and smooth. I'm sure it would also be if I chopped 3" off the stock screen and put it back on, but then I'd get a neck full o' bugs :)

I suppose I could try remounting the Madstad one hole higher. That'd move the impact point up a bit but keep the low angle, which really seems to help. Just getting a little tired of all that screwing. Ha.

- Bob

·
Registered
123 Posts
GRS1959..........thanks for the info and link for the new tightners. Just ordered them and some new rubber gromets.
Price is now 8.00 though.
Jim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts