StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm having an issue starting my 1000k7 when it's warm after it has been sitting. I bought the bike in September and have not had any issues all winter until now.

I did some searching and it appears as though this might be common when it warms up.

Symptom: the bike will not start until I open the throttle a bit. Then when it does start it sounds rough, like a dirt bike, and smells really rich for about 15 secs, then all is fine.

Question 1: Is this going to go away or am I going to have this problem all summer?

Question 2: I can hear the fuel pump after it fails to start the first time and every time thereafter. Is there like a "summer mode" or something on here to prevent it from pumping more fuel causing more flooding? Maybe I should install a switch or something?

What's the best way to remedy my issue? Is there some maintenance that needs done? As stated above, I bought it in September. I've done an oil change on it, new tires and clean and lube the chain, but that's it.

I had a dealership look at it when I got it and they said it was good and supposedly did a TBS on it then, about 3k miles ago (maybe less).

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Maybe

You wouldn't be using fuel with ethanol, perchance? The problem stems from the injectors leaking down, most likely, flooding the intake tract with fuel, which means a very rich start. Engine/radiator/sun heat will pressurize the fuel lines, and slightly leaking injectors will then drain them out partially. Might try running injector cleaner (Techron is my fave) through a tankful and see if the problem improves. As you mentioned, the solution is simply to hold a bit of throttle when cranking in warm weather.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
A vapor problem through a charcoal canister is common but opening the throttle to let in more air takes care of things quickly and easily. Rough running afterwards is not an issue in that situation.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You wouldn't be using fuel with ethanol, perchance? The problem stems from the injectors leaking down, most likely, flooding the intake tract with fuel, which means a very rich start. Engine/radiator/sun heat will pressurize the fuel lines, and slightly leaking injectors will then drain them out partially. Might try running injector cleaner (Techron is my fave) through a tankful and see if the problem improves. As you mentioned, the solution is simply to hold a bit of throttle when cranking in warm weather.
Yeah, I think our fuel does have up to 10% ethanol in it until Memorial day.

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'll just keep opening the throttle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts