StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went out to install the new crash bars so kindly provided by the BPO. And discovered why they weren't installed - the top bolt that must be removed seems to have been damaged.

An 18mm socket is too loose. A 17mm socket doesn't go in, but I can't tell if it's because the nut has been buggered or it's the wrong size. I have an 18" breaker bar so torque won't be a problem. Other threads don't mention the socket size.

It's in a recess, so dremeling the nut off wouldn't be fun.

Anyone know what size the nut is?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Provide picture of the problem area and I may be able to assist since I have the same crash bars as you.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
I'm guessing garandman is talking about the big bolt that runs all the way across the frame. I did not have much problem pulling mine out, so I ran out and checked it - a 17mm fits nicely on the original Suzuki bolt. An 11/16" socket fits right between 17 and 18 mm, and it might work if the bolt head has been buggered up. It fit a little loosely on the original bolt from mine.

The only other notes I have to pass on about my installation:
1. make sure you loosely put on both sides, then place the joiner piece, then tighten. Otherwise you'll just be loosening everything again...
2. the brackets of the crash bars don't actually make contact with the frame on my bike - the spacers supplied push the bracket perhaps 2mm off the frame.

Good luck with the install!

Mike

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
A 6pt socket would be a much better idea than a 12pt if the corners are buggered.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny you mention that. I tried some new 12 pt Craftsman sockets on the nut but didn't like the feel. So I tried a cheap Tiawanese made 6 point - came right off, although it looks ugly.

It doesn't look like a standard nut since it has a shoulder. Where could I order a replacement?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The Suzuki part number is 09159-12054 if you want your dealer to order it. MR Cycles has it fo $2.44 but shipping would probably be more than the item.

·
Registered
8 Posts
17mm socket size

I installed mine about 10 days ago. 17 mm 6 point Sears "Companion" brand 1/2 drive worked well indeed. Used a 3/8 inch drive socket and cheap taiwan on the nut side. I used 3 washers to space the bracket out ever so slightly from the frame. Look carefully between the engine and the frame on the drivers side as I had factory spacer washers in there that looked to be a potential issue when reassembling the works. Wasnt an issue but could be. Bracket looks great. Make sure you use locktite. I used the blue medium strenth stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts