StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a month or so with my stock bars, I've decided to go the pro-taper route. I don't like the amount of sweep in the stock bars. I'm going to have my dealer put the pro-tapers on at my next service.

The question is: Is it pretty much just a matter of replacing the bars? Do all the controls just move over? are the cable lengths and bends, etc compatible, or is there more modification needed? The dealer service rep brought that up.

There's enough folks out there with them that I figure it's pretty much a straight across swap, but I just wanted to be prepared.

thanks.

NorCal Rob

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Did ya'll get the ATV' bars with the 6" rise or something else. Does any one know the stock sweep, rise, and pulback dimensions?

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I got a set of the "ATV high" bars, looks like they're the 6" rise. I found them on sale for $12.00.

They are about the same height as the stock bars with the 1" Genmar risers but with less pull-back. I'm very pleased with them.....and they come in different colors too. :-D

Any dealer should be able to order them from Tucker Rocky.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
...Your bargain carbon steel bars will bend with a simple "Forgot to put the sidestand down" drop...
Since we're not going to get in a "pissin" match, I'll merely point out to you that your "will bend" statement is incorrect. You can tell from the picture of my Givi bars that I have had the opportunity to test the ruggedness of the handlebars, purely to collect empirical data of course, and after a couple of drops, they DID NOT BEND at all.

I'm sure your $50.00 more expensive handlebars are far superior to my MSR's in many ways. Thing is that mine fit the bike well, look fine and have, to date, satisfied my wants and needs very satisfactorily.

Internal dialogue - Sheesh, now we have handlebar snobs....what next?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Heavy

Is the door screen some kind of northern redneck modification to improve cooling or looks? If its for looks it works, ugly

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Heavy

Is the door screen some kind of northern redneck modification to improve cooling or looks? If its for looks it works, ugly
Its for function, not looks. Its a pain in the ass to remove the side panels of the fairing with the stock adornments. There isn't enough clearance to get them past the Givi engine guards. With the plastic decorations removed the side panels slide out easily and in reality, like me, its not as ugly in person.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Holy Fast Shipping Bat Man!!

Now thats what I call fast. ordered on 5/17/07 and put them on last night!! Glad I didn't pay $20 extra for the two day shiping!!

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok, Pictures please. How do you like them and stuff?

Heres a pic of my setup Im really happy with it - no vibration, very comfortable, looks great, and gives me good protection. It was kinda expensive but functions great :)

protaper atv highs, $65
cycra probend composite handguards, $60
blue gel progrips - $10
home made risers from a pair of old dirtbike clamps turned upside down with longer bolts. $4

My bike came with stock bars and handguards I didnt like the bend of the stock bars they hurt my wrist and I thought the suzuki handguards contributed to buffeting and where a little weak . The protapers give me a much more comfy, natural wrist position they installed easy just take off the old stuff dremel off the little nub on the switch and put the controls back on the new bars, all the cables and harnesses fit but Im about at the outer limit with the risers. the Cycras fit well and are easy to install, they have a U shaped inside clamp that fits under the brake hose as if it was made for it there more substansial than the suzukis and I think they will give me more protection in low speed get offs plus better windflow.
Ive used protaper SE's on 4 bikes now including a KLR and two dirtbikes, never bent a pair in more lay downs than I can count.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just got a pair of Protaper SE bars, but they weren't ATV bars. The ATV bars I saw at my dealer all looked to be fatter diameter (at least where they mount to the bike).

I was concerned about mounting my OEM handguards, and the Suzuki store person called Protaper who told her (erroneously) that they would fit - of course they don't.

The sweep looks perfect though. Very similar to superbike bars (they had some cheapies at the store). What I'd like are superbike bars that come back farther. I saw in a catalog some Flanders bars in a style called "Daytona" that looked kind of like superbike bars but appeared to have more pullback. Any thoughts on Flan-diddly-anders bars and/or this "Daytona" style (or any other style similar to superbike but with more pullback)?

I love the Protapers but I gotta have my Kaoko throttle lock - and OEM guards.

- Bob

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well after a discussion with the guy at Flanders (Ned, I assume) I ordered a set of Daytona bars in black. We'll see how they work...should be here early next week.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts