StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a place to buy a set of pro taper bars and not having much luck. I am looking for part #02-5257. I have found several web sites but nun list this part number. Any ideas??

·
Administrator
17,537 Posts
I have been looking for a place to buy a set of pro taper bars and not having much luck. I am looking for part #02-5257. I have found several web sites but nun list this part number. Any ideas??

2 words...... Iron Pony.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
I've been reading a lot of nice things from you guys about the Pro Tapers. New handlebars were not on my list of "BLING" for Scarlett but you have peaked my interest. At times I find myself leaning forward to ease my back but my hands and wrists don't like this position. I would think that a slightly wider and lower hand position would place me in a more neutral or balanced posture. Has anyone found this to be true? How about the mirrors, will they see around your shoulders with when mounted lower? Is it difficult to swap handlebars?

M

·
0 Posts
Scarlett,

The bar swap is easy. I've added the Pro Taper ATV-hi SE bars and found that the hand position is much more comfortable. The bend of the stock bars seemed to me to go in a downward direction, where the PT's are more of a back and up position (I'm sure there's a more technical definition to this but I do not know what it is).

·
Administrator
17,537 Posts
I've been reading a lot of nice things from you guys about the Pro Tapers. New handlebars were not on my list of "BLING" for Scarlett but you have peaked my interest. At times I find myself leaning forward to ease my back but my hands and wrists don't like this position. I would think that a slightly wider and lower hand position would place me in a more neutral or balanced posture. Has anyone found this to be true? How about the mirrors, will they see around your shoulders with when mounted lower? Is it difficult to swap handlebars?
I would be glad to show you my set up, we need to hook up! I know that we live VERY far away from eachother "sarcasm", but I am sure that we could work something out.;)

GO BUCKEYES!!!!!!

M

·
0 Posts
Take him up on it. Brian's the one that got me thinking about a bar swap.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
BigB

Sent you a PM

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Scarlett,

The bar swap is easy. I've added the Pro Taper ATV-hi SE bars and found that the hand position is much more comfortable. The bend of the stock bars seemed to me to go in a downward direction, where the PT's are more of a back and up position (I'm sure there's a more technical definition to this but I do not know what it is).
Mighty Shep, how exactly do these bars change your riding position? It sounds like you sit up straighter, but how does it change your wrist angle and arm position? I'm intrigued now, and have a few bucks in my jeans. Bad combination. Somethin's gettin bought!

M

·
0 Posts
Mighty Shep, how exactly do these bars change your riding position? It sounds like you sit up straighter, but how does it change your wrist angle and arm position? I'm intrigued now, and have a few bucks in my jeans. Bad combination. Somethin's gettin bought!
Now I'm on the spot as how to best articulate the change. :confused: It seemed to me that with the stock bars my wrists were turned outward while riding. At the same time the bend of the stock bars would make me want to drop my elbows, pointing towards my knees. This would put more stess on my wrists. The new Taper bars tend to keep my elbows out (horizontal to the road) allowing better leverage on the bars, and keep my wrists in a more comfortable position. Also I think the Tapers come back a little more than the stock. The riding poisition is now very upright and comfortable, with no lean forward. This may not be to everyones liking, but I enjoy the upright posture, and my back loves it.

I have ridden many miles with the stock bars and found that they were functional. I didn't replace them because I had too. I was interested in trying something new and Big B's report along with others on the Rapid Forum intrigued me enough to replace them. For the money it was a noticable and favorable change. I paid around $65.00 plus tax for the bars, so it wasn't a really big expense. If you do decide to change bars save yourself some trouble and get a new set of grips. That way you don't have to mess with taking the old grips off. Also if you haven't done it already this is the time to add heated grips. Although getting to that second horn lead is a bit challenging. ;)

There are two things that you will need to do if you change the bars. Almost everyone who has changed to the Tapers has taken 1/2 inch off each end of the bars. THis gets the width to roughly the same as the stock bars. Then you will need to modify your bar ends on account of the reduced internal diameter of the Taper bars. The stock bars have a bigger hole. I used a smaller bolt/washer/lock nut and some fuel line to make a new compression rubber. This will allow you to reinstall the bar ends and keep using your hand gaurds.

Ultimately I have found that the Tapers are a better set than what comes stock. While rideable the stock bars just left no impression on me, good or bad. With the Tpaers I find that there is better control, and turning the bike is easier. I noticed a fair difference riding some twisties, and ater a longer ride there was less (almost none) shoulder fatigue. My posture is as straight up as my crooked old spine allows, the sun shines brighter, the air smells sweeter, coffee tastes richer, and the new bars even make pizza better. :mrgreen:

·
Administrator
17,537 Posts
Now I'm on the spot as how to best articulate the change. :confused: It seemed to me that with the stock bars my wrists were turned outward while riding. At the same time the bend of the stock bars would make me want to drop my elbows, pointing towards my knees. This would put more stess on my wrists. The new Taper bars tend to keep my elbows out (horizontal to the road) allowing better leverage on the bars, and keep my wrists in a more comfortable position. Also I think the Tapers come back a little more than the stock. The riding poisition is now very upright and comfortable, with no lean forward. This may not be to everyones liking, but I enjoy the upright posture, and my back loves it.

I have ridden many miles with the stock bars and found that they were functional. I didn't replace them because I had too. I was interested in trying something new and Big B's report along with others on the Rapid Forum intrigued me enough to replace them. For the money it was a noticable and favorable change. I paid around $65.00 plus tax for the bars, so it wasn't a really big expense. If you do decide to change bars save yourself some trouble and get a new set of grips. That way you don't have to mess with taking the old grips off. Also if you haven't done it already this is the time to add heated grips. Although getting to that second horn lead is a bit challenging. ;)

There are two things that you will need to do if you change the bars. Almost everyone who has changed to the Tapers has taken 1/2 inch off each end of the bars. THis gets the width to roughly the same as the stock bars. Then you will need to modify your bar ends on account of the reduced internal diameter of the Taper bars. The stock bars have a bigger hole. I used a smaller bolt/washer/lock nut and some fuel line to make a new compression rubber. This will allow you to reinstall the bar ends and keep using your hand gaurds.

Ultimately I have found that the Tapers are a better set than what comes stock. While rideable the stock bars just left no impression on me, good or bad. With the Tpaers I find that there is better control, and turning the bike is easier. I noticed a fair difference riding some twisties, and ater a longer ride there was less (almost none) shoulder fatigue. My posture is as straight up as my crooked old spine allows, the sun shines brighter, the air smells sweeter, coffee tastes richer, and the new bars even make pizza better. :mrgreen:
I couldn't have said it better!!!!:mrgreen: I left my bar ends off, and I have no vibes at all. I am gonna order the 02/03 handguards, and not ever use a bar end.

M

·
0 Posts
... I left my bar ends off, and I have no vibes at all. I am gonna order the 02/03 handguards, and not ever use a bar end.
B I put the bar ends back on just to secure the hand gaurds. I also had no vibes with them off, but wanted to keep my existing gaurds.

·
Registered
50 Posts
part number?

to big B and mighty shep, did you go with the same part no. that is listed at the beginning of this thread, or another? i`m thinking i`d like to change mine as it is a relatively cheap fix. i lean slightly forward with the stock ones and after a long for me ride,450 miles, back is sore as well as my butt. maybe sitting upright will fix that. becman

M

·
0 Posts
to big B and mighty shep, did you go with the same part no. that is listed at the beginning of this thread, or another? i`m thinking i`d like to change mine as it is a relatively cheap fix. i lean slightly forward with the stock ones and after a long for me ride,450 miles, back is sore as well as my butt. maybe sitting upright will fix that. becman

Becman58,

Yes. part #02-5257 is the SE (seven eighths) ATV-hi bar. And as stated above they are an improvement over the stock bars. As an added bonus, the cross bar allows for mounting numerous things, GPS, MP3 player, camera mount, etc...

·
Registered
50 Posts
atv hi bars

hey, thanx alot for reply. i have some time off, and NEED to spend some money!! so i know what i`m doin tomorrow!! becman

·
Registered
50 Posts
money

i went o take the 1980 wide glide out sat. , cause i felt sorry for it. the starter solenoid locked on until i unhooked the bat. fried the starter,HAD to take the strom out instead!! strom 8000 miles this year, hd 250 miles, oh well. becman

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i went o take the 1980 wide glide out sat. , cause i felt sorry for it. the starter solenoid locked on until i unhooked the bat. fried the starter,HAD to take the strom out instead!! strom 8000 miles this year, hd 250 miles, oh well. becman
Don't you just hate when that happens! ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts