StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put on pro-tapers but now the oem ends don't work.

Options? Fixes?

I like the oem hand guards just fine and would like to get the stock ends to work.

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
I have the ProTapers with the stock ends. You need to grind down the nuts with the built on washers. also you can change out the rubber with 5/16 fuel line. It is not difficult with a bench grinder. Take you time and you will be fine.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Conversation in progress...

I end up buying the MSR ATV HI-Bend steel bars, because I knew I wanted a throttle lock. I ended up with a ThrottleMeister one, after not being able to get a KAOKO one in time for my trip last fall.

My step brother gave me a set of Pro Taper SE bars for Christmas this year and I re-started the search.

Eventually I came across the following site, with a little information on aluminum bars and bar weights.

http://www.manicsalamander.com/throttle_lock.htm

Someplace on this site I found a request for feedback on products and made a case for a minimally weighted Throttle lock for the ProTaper bars. I quickly got a response that he had one in development. We went back and forth a little on them before a very snowy winter limiting my riding, so I've not gone ahead with the tests. It seemed to me that he was about to release this as a product, so I suspect it's available if anybody asks.

I have not used the product, but it does seem from reading about it that it would be a little nicer than my Throttle Meister setup.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
I went with the 5/16 fuel line to reinstall the bar ends on my ATVMids. It cost me about 98 cents in smaller washers, lock washers, and new nuts. I reused the stock bolt. Whole job took 10 minutes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I went with the 5/16 fuel line to reinstall the bar ends on my ATVMids. It cost me about 98 cents in smaller washers, lock washers, and new nuts. I reused the stock bolt. Whole job took 10 minutes.
That's what I did as well. Plus I was able to save all the stock hardware.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I have some aftermarket hand guards that required no tweaking at all to fit to the new bars. Take it as a sign to get some good lever savers!

-GW

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had already ground down one side but I guess I went too far because it wouldn't work when I put it back together.

I'll try the fuel line trick. That is a good idea;)

If that doesn't work I'll be off to the after market.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts