StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bars came in yesterday and I guess I didn't do enough research, I don't think these are going to accomplish what I wanted.

What I really wanted was bars that were higher and further back. After a rough comparison, these look like they will pull me even more forward and don't look any higher than what I have now (which I'm assuming is stock but I bought it used).

Maybe I should have just gone with offset risers instead?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Whoops! Never mind. I screwed up and should have gotten the high in stead of mid.

But now looking the Rox risers might work well with the mids. Have to ponder on this a bit.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I posted the same thing awhile back this summer. In the end, I went back to the MSR ATV Hi Rise bars. I got them back even closer to me, using the Rox 2" adjustable risers. Had to put an extended front brake line, though. My '09 is ABS, and the front brake line was too short to accommodate the bars and Rox's. The whole combination works well and lets me sit up straight without stretching my arms so far out and down.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have the ATV mids because less sweep back than the stock as well as the high...need my wrist as straight as possible..I did notice they are further away now so .just added a 20 mm riser and seems better..I am taking a trip this week so will know if better soon. No need for longer brake line with 20 mm but anything more and it looks like you will need to extend the brake line....

·
Registered
566 Posts
I went with MSR ATV low and a 3" Powermadd riser. Perfect combination on my 07 non-ABS Wee. Didn't need longer cables, just re-routed a little. So happy now with straighter wrists and the bars back further so I now sit in the pocket of my Seat Concepts seat.

FWIW I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam.

There's another thread about this combination.

Tim

·
Premium Member
4,614 Posts
Whoops! Never mind. I screwed up and should have gotten the high in stead of mid.

But now looking the Rox risers might work well with the mids. Have to ponder on this a bit.
I have the Pro Taper ATV Highs and I don't think they come back much more than stock. Of course, since they are highs you could rotate them back towards the tank but that will also cut down on the height.

You might want to consider the offset risers which could bring the bars back and up.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Try the ProTaper ATV Raptor bend. Same height as the ATV high but more pull back. Not sure if they come in the 7/8" version as mine are the fat bars, but I love them. They are thicker ID so you have to mod the bar ends if you run the OEM guards but it's a easy and cheap fix.

Chart of Protaper bends can be found here:

Contour | Pro Taper

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I have the MSR low bars and Rox pivoting risers. The bars were quite nice by themselves, but the risers address clearance problems with the Madstad + Givi screen, IIRC.

I should put this in my sig because it is so often relevant to such comments -> 6'4", 33 inseam, 37 sleeve, and to further help you all out with your Chistmas shopping-> waist 40, neck 16.5 :mrgreen:

·
Administrator
6,393 Posts
The bars came in yesterday and I guess I didn't do enough research, I don't think these are going to accomplish what I wanted.

What I really wanted was bars that were higher and further back. After a rough comparison, these look like they will pull me even more forward and don't look any higher than what I have now (which I'm assuming is stock but I bought it used).
You are exactly right. The Pro Taper ATV Mid is the same height as the stock bar and does not bend back as much, meaning that there is a longer reach to the bars, and that your elbows are out more. They are also wider. I have a longish reach and find them far better when up on the pegs.

·
Registered
393 Posts
[/QUOTE]I should put this in my sig because it is so often relevant to such comments -> 6'4", 33 inseam, 37 sleeve, and to further help you all out with your Chistmas shopping-> waist 40, neck 16.5 :mrgreen:[/QUOTE]

Lol... guess we could trade the gifts we don't like...lol Same size here exactly...:beatnik:

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I should put this in my sig because it is so often relevant to such comments -> 6'4", 33 inseam, 37 sleeve, and to further help you all out with your Chistmas shopping-> waist 40, neck 16.5 :mrgreen:[/quote]

Lol... guess we could trade the gifts we don't like...lol Same size here exactly...:beatnik:[/quote]

Good idea, except I have finally convinced my mom (after decades) to not buy me presents. She sends a check to my wife with the condition that I get at least three presents to open on Christmas. Then, I take the rest and let her know what she got me. I have not been disappointed in a long while. :thumbup:

As someone once said, cash is always a great gift - I like the color and it is always the right size.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Try the ProTaper ATV Raptor bend. Same height as the ATV high but more pull back. Not sure if they come in the 7/8" version as mine are the fat bars, but I love them. They are thicker ID so you have to mod the bar ends if you run the OEM guards but it's a easy and cheap fix.

Chart of Protaper bends can be found here:

Contour | Pro Taper
How did you mod the ends of the handlebars to accommodate the OEM bar end weights? Drill bit? Thanks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes, the ATV mid puts you further away and lower do to the difference in bend.

My bike came with an ATV mid bar. A 2" riser will work even with ABS brakes on Glees (not sure about Wees, but I assume it's the same) as long as you remove the clamp that holds the brake line to the lower triple clamp. If you boy one like ROX or PowerMadd that can be adjusted to any position up/down you can decide how much rise vs. reach you want.

Gustavo

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Bar end weights do very little, even on the OE bars. With stiffer bars you can safely throw them away.

Gustavo
The reason I asked is because you need the bar end weights to attach the Suzuki hand guards. I just didn't want to spend the money for a different brand of hand guards.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just ordered the Pro Taper 2" adjustable risers. According to my math, if I tilt them back at a 45 degree angle, it will move the bars up 1.4" and back 1.4" which might just do the trick. I haven't sent the ATV bars back yet so I'll see how they feel with the risers too and then choose.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
And these will fit inside the ProTaper bar ends without having to drill them out? And can you use the stock Suzuki hand guards with these inserts?

The Pro-Taper bars are hollow, nothing to drill out.

These inserts provide a thread inside the bars for mounting handguards. Tightening the bolt expands the insert and secures it inside the bar.

I just looked at the bar end weights that came of my Strom. The bolt is smaller than the bolt on the inserts so you would have to drill the weights out.

I don't know how the OEM handguards mount, just a hole on the end for the bolt to pass through? If so that will work with these inserts.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
The Pro-Taper bars are hollow, nothing to drill out.

These inserts provide a thread inside the bars for mounting handguards. Tightening the bolt expands the insert and secures it inside the bar.

I just looked at the bar end weights that came of my Strom. The bolt is smaller than the bolt on the inserts so you would have to drill the weights out.

I don't know how the OEM handguards mount, just a hole on the end for the bolt to pass through? If so that will work with these inserts.
The OEM bar end weights are secured with a similar mechanism as the Tusk items. Major difference is that the steel bars have a larger inside diameter than the aluminum ProTaperbars. My question is, will the Tusk unit fit inside the ProTapers without having to widen the ID?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts