StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again,

I want to check the clutch push rod oil seal. I just cleaned up the slave cylinder and all around the sprocket. I think I may be getting a tiny amount of oil seeping from the push rod oil seal behind the retaining plate. After each ride, I have a tiny drop or two right under that region.
I inspected and cleaned all the crankcase seams and always find them dry. The slave is all dry. It gets a little wet when I reach my finger in past the slave...
Chain and sprockets are still good, so not changing yet.
My question is whether I can remove the primary sprocket without removing rear wheel etc?

Thanks!
N

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great thanks. So looks like I may just have to release tension by moving the rear wheel forward and then slip the chain off.
One hell of a lot easier than when I had to change a throwout bearing on my (former) BMW RT... Had to pack a lunch for that one. 😆

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Great thanks. So looks like I may just have to release tension by moving the rear wheel forward and then slip the chain off.
One hell of a lot easier than when I had to change a throwout bearing on my (former) BMW RT... Had to pack a lunch for that one. 😆
Nope - it is even easier than that.

If you have your chain adjusted correctly, the rear wheel can be left alone.
-Stand on the rear brake or block the rear wheel and remove the counter sprocket (CS) nut.
-Slide CS off the output shaft and when it clears the shaft, move CS rearward and chain will come right off.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Your leak may not be at the seal but more likely at the gasket to the left of the push rod seal. That is where mine leaked, I wish I could give more info on it but cannot find any pictures that I took. Maybe someone can help with pictures?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your leak may not be at the seal but more likely at the gasket to the left of the push rod seal. That is where mine leaked, I wish I could give more info on it but cannot find any pictures that I took. Maybe someone can help with pictures?
Hmm. I'll get in there tomorrow to inspect. 1) How can I diagnose which it is? 2) If it's the gasket, what is my course of action?

Cheers!
N

·
Administrator
5,757 Posts
Nope - it is even easier than that.

If you have your chain adjusted correctly, the rear wheel can be left alone.
-Stand on the rear brake or block the rear wheel and remove the counter sprocket (CS) nut.
-Slide CS off the output shaft and when it clears the shaft, move CS rearward and chain will come right off.
And put the new CS sprocket into the chain and slide both back on to the output shaft. You may need to check chain slack afterwards, depending on CS wear.
If you intend to remove the clutch slave cylinder be VERY CAREFUL replacing it. One of the three bolts attaches to a stud (part of the cases) which can be easily broken off. Fit the slave in place by hand - do not use the bolts to pull it up tight.
Here are a couple of threads that may help:

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Pay attention to what Brockie says. Watch where the long and short bolts go and where the spacer is on the slave. I do just as he says, push the slave up tight against the engine case by hand, then run the bolts in by hand evenly.

The other issue has two schools of thought. Whether you tie the cutch handle down to the handlebars or leave it alone and use tape to keep the slave cyinder piston in place. I have always had much better luck taping the slave cylinder piston in place and removing the tape when I put it back on. This is a problem you need to decide how to solve, because if you do nothing, the slave piston will extend and make life miserable for you when you are reinstalling.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are a couple of threads that may help:
Thanks! That first thread was helpful. The second was one I started. 😆 (still helpful...)

N

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pay attention to what Brockie says. Watch where the long and short bolts go and where the spacer is on the slave. I do just as he says, push the slave up tight against the engine case by hand, then run the bolts in by hand evenly.

The other issue has two schools of thought. Whether you tie the cutch handle down to the handlebars or leave it alone and use tape to keep the slave cyinder piston in place. I have always had much better luck taping the slave cylinder piston in place and removing the tape when I put it back on. This is a problem you need to decide how to solve, because if you do nothing, the slave piston will extend and make life miserable for you when you are reinstalling.
Thanks.
I've had the slave off twice now and it's gone back on without issue. I find the tie-down method works for me.

Ok, so I have everything I need to change the seal. I am currently experiencing no symptoms - clutch feels great, it shifts smoothly through all gears (although can't quite get a perfect snick from 1st to 2nd), there is no "chudder" or any other weird sounds. The only thing happening is one, single tiny drop of oil drips down from near the sidestand after a ride - and that started only after I cleaned out behind the sprocket cover. I think all the goop was keeping that one drop from getting out! Also, I've ridden about 350 miles and the oil level hasn't changed.
My question is now this: given that it is recommended that oil be drained a little or the bike leaned 15 degrees or so to the right (kind of awkward in my driveway), should I just wait until I change the oil in a couple thousand miles? Or should I go ahead and pull the sprocket and retainer now? Part of me wants to just go in and address it now, but another part of me feels it's overkill to chase one drop of oil.

Thoughts?

Cheers!
N

·
Administrator
5,757 Posts
Only you can answer that one.
Do keep in mind though that changing the CS sprocket is MUCH easier when the rear wheel is off the ground.
p.s. If your bike dropped one drop of oil every day it would take years to become an oil level issue. Consider in the meantime putting your side stand down on a piece of old mat or carpet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup...

That's what I read. I have a center stand, so all good there.

Ha! Indeed. I was just encouraged that it's not some compression leak that is blowing half a quart down the freeway, but just laying one drop on the driveway. I have a little square of cardboard under it for now, but a carpet patch is a better idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts