1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
The EK xring that Blair (Blair Layton <[email protected]>) sells is an excellent chain. Mine went 35K miles and I'm going with another. Just as well to go with both sprockets for a good chain like the EK. Don't know anything about VStroma's.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
VStroma uses "Super Links" O ring chains and "Sunn gear" sprockets. I personaly do not know anything about them. I do know that a friend used some cheap combo off of EBay and they only lasted about 7K miles. Blair at SV racing won't steer you wrong. Contact him for any questions.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I too went with Blairs product. Competively priced and he is a supporter here. The chain he supplied was a nice gold and stayed that way for about a month. It is now a nice black (with spots of gold) as your yellow one will be unless you are into spit shining drive chains.:green_lol:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Where do you guys get you chains and sprockets for 650?
I found (kits - chain + sprockets)

SVRacingParts.com - $180

V-Strom - Special Offers - $120
Not really sure what is vstroma's brand ?

Any options welcome:)
I got the one from vstroma. I got 16tooth sprocket. This is an O ring chain, not an X ring.
I only have 12k miles on it so far and it is still holding up fine.
I replaced the stock chain at 20k miles.
Vstroma is a small shop and sometimes it takes them a while to get the product to you. They were out of 16 tooth sprockets when I ordered, so it was a little over 3 weeks before I got the kit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I too went with Blairs product. Competively priced and he is a supporter here. The chain he supplied was a nice gold and stayed that way for about a month. It is now a nice black (with spots of gold) as your yellow one will be unless you are into spit shining drive chains.:green_lol:
You are right about chain color:) it will probably stay like that for a little bit :)
still im trying to find out if anybody is using this chain EK CHAIN 525X120 MVXZ
or know this company : D.I.D 525 VM2 DID525VM2130

thanks

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Does anyone know EK 525X120 chain ?

EK CHAIN 525X120 MVXZ CHAIN YELLOW 525MVXZ-120/Y

How different is then the one that Blair is offering - EK-SRX 525?

Thanks
EK’s MVXZ Quadra-X Ring chain is the ideal replacement chain for any 600 to 1000cc street bike. Features like lightening holes in the sideplates, large-diameter pins, and friction-reducing Quadra-X Rings help ensure high-performance and from 1 1/2 to 2 times increased wear life when compared to a standard O-Ring chain.

The SRX series chains are an excellent value for any street machine. The SRX chains feature lightening holes, reduced friction and Quadra X-Ring design which increases chain life from 1 1/2 to 2 times longer than a standard O-Ring chain.
EK MOTORCYCLE CHAINS | Enuma Chain Mfg. Co., Ltd.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
EK’s MVXZ Quadra-X Ring chain is the ideal replacement chain for any 600 to 1000cc street bike. Features like lightening holes in the sideplates, large-diameter pins, and friction-reducing Quadra-X Rings help ensure high-performance and from 1 1/2 to 2 times increased wear life when compared to a standard O-Ring chain.

The SRX series chains are an excellent value for any street machine. The SRX chains feature lightening holes, reduced friction and Quadra X-Ring design which increases chain life from 1 1/2 to 2 times longer than a standard O-Ring chain.
EK MOTORCYCLE CHAINS | Enuma Chain Mfg. Co., Ltd.
Thanks a lot for that, i looked up and there is no much difference in specs between two except tensile strength MVXZ is 9300lbs and SRX is 8800lbs.
Did i miss something ?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Although I have never used Blair for anything, his chain and sprockets are good quality. I have bought around 5 chain/sprockets combos in the past five years so I have experience on the subject. With chains/sprock, you def get what you pay for. I hae found an affordable yet high quality combo from Motorcycle Superstore. I like the Western Powesrsports 525 HSO x 120 chain and STEEL AFAM or Renthal sprockets....IMO...NEVER run aluminium. Jt and Sunstar also make good steel sprockets but a Renthal will last the life of the bike if you have bearings in proper working order. This combo is under $150 and will last many many miles if you keep the orings moist/lubed and the rear sprocket running true. ALWAYS make sure all 3 of the rear wheel bearings are good. Also, check to see if the rear sprockets has wobble when spinning and also that it is tight in the hub(cush drive tightness)... You will kill a $150 chain and sprock in less than 5k miles unless all bearings and cush drive rubbers are good.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I did the EK X-Ring "premium" gold-tone 525 chain and a pair of stock size JT sprockets in steel from bike bandit, total was bout $165 (AMA member discount takes a couple of bucks off of the original price... so figure close to $180 normally).

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I like the Western Powesrsports 525 HSO x 120 chain
This is a brand of one of the big-three wholesale bike accessory distributors, Western Powersports. Tucker-Rocky and Parts Unlimited/Drag Specialties are the other two. Their branded stuff is generally a good buy--not the very best, but well worth their cost. My local indie mechanic tells me that he has very good results with the Parts Unlimited chains (and batteries and other items).

·
Registered
168 Posts
This is a brand of one of the big-three wholesale bike accessory distributors, Western Powersports. Tucker-Rocky and Parts Unlimited/Drag Specialties are the other two. Their branded stuff is generally a good buy--not the very best, but well worth their cost. My local indie mechanic tells me that he has very good results with the Parts Unlimited chains (and batteries and other items).
Yes..Ive run the WPS products for about 10 years now and I really like their quality for the price. Last year I bought a clearance DID o-ring. I cant recall the paticular model but it never stopped stretching and was totaly worn out @ 5k. I called the distributor and he told me that not all DID chains are pre-stretched....nor did it have the "quad stake rivets" and the tensile strength of the equivilant WPS. If Blair can compete with the $150-185 price point, I would go with his set up.....You know it would be a qua;ity product with good customer service.

MotorcycleSuperstore.com has hundreds and hundreds of chains and most of the time there will be several pages of closeouts and clearance items so its easy to save when you buy from them. And free shipping too.
NEVER buy what I call a "Ebay special", especially something from from waaay overseas.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Just installed Blair's kit. High quality stuff. Completely happy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts