StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the approximate street value of a pristine 2011 650 Adventure model, white, 1200+/- miles and the following options? I've found this, not ridden a DL650 yet but it seemed like the next logical step to "going smaller" coming off a BMW R1150GS. Probably never been in the rain either.

*Adjustable madstab windshield bracket
*Laminar lip
*Pat Walsh dashboard
*Pyramid front fender extender
*Givi crash bars
*Center stand
*Suzuki handguards
*Trax side cases
*Trax side case mounting brackets

In the DL world, does this rank up there pretty high on the 'desired' list? My primary wants include ABS and the rest seems to be nice as well. Any idea on what the MSRP might have been for this and the value of options?

I just really don't know much about these other than what I'm reading and hearing from some others. They seem like really nice bikes with a good following.

TIA.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
What would be the approximate street value of a pristine 2011 650 Adventure model, white, 1200+/- miles and the following options?
Local markets differ, but you should base the value of the bike starting at its book ("Blue Book" or similar), sans accessories. That stuff isn't worth what sellers usually think it is. If the seller wants top value from accessories, he/she should remove them and sell them separately.

After agreeing on a bike price, you might separately negotiate for accessories, if the seller wants to go that route.

Just my opinion and experience.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There wasn't a 2011 Adventure model, only the base, and all the 2011s are ABS. At my dealer, they had a used 2011 white with low miles that they priced at $6,999. That was the same price as the new 2011s on their floor that were on sale. I asked him why they would be priced the same, he said you saved on freight and setup costs... I said no thanks, if that's any indication of whether I thought $6,999 was a fair price for a used 2011. Instead I found a 2007 with a few more miles and a few thousand dollars less and I'm happy with it.

And I agree with dtalk, if you want the accessories, they should be valued far less than what you would pay for them new, accessories are a poor investment as they generally yield little to no return. Sellers tend to disagree because they paid full price for them, but that's how it works in used motorcycles. In my opinion, accessories will make one bike more attractive than the next, but anything much more in $$ and I'd rather have the fun of accessorizing it myself.

My two cents.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think in Canada they do (did) have that model which at least included the factory bags (3). But then you said they are not Suzuki bags so I am not sure about what you are looking at. Again we are talking US prices here with the people who have replied on this thread. As far as the farkles they are not worth anything IF you don't desire them. If they are things you would go out and buy and installed that is another thing.

I would price the bike here in the US at around $7K as it sits and that maybe a little high if you don't want the farkles that are installed. Sooooo whatever $7K US dollars equates to :confused:

BTW you might find the DL650ABS is not that big of step downward in performance. And it has a much bigger dealer network. I might go as far as to say you might find it a step in the right direction. :thumbup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, for grins I took the listing above and went searching. The cost of all the farkles noted above is $1,690 and I'm fairly confident in that number based on using search terms of DL650 and the manufacturer part name. A couple items could waiver, but not significant dollar-wise.

As for the options and being desirable, seems like everyone is happy with the Madstap bracket. The items I like would include the fender extender, givi crash bars, centerstand handguards and cases are always nice. So that only leaves a couple inexpensive items out of the equation to include the laminar lip and dashboard shelf.

In simple terms, I think this is about how I'd farkle it out with the addition of heated grips, a bash/skid plate, and a port for my heated vest. That's about it.

Here's an image of what I'm talking about. Heck, I even love the white/black combination.

If I'm reading list prices correctly, this came in about $8k new. Add $1,700 +/- worth of 'stuff' and the owner is into it for $9,700 plus TTL. This is actually sounding sort of attractive at the moment if it could be had in the $7k range. Hmm....

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think in Canada they do (did) have that model
Well done, Doug, if that is true I stand corrected. Sure wouldn't be the first time, either.

I think if you like the bike, that is what matters most, try not to let anybody else talk you into or out of it. In time, you'll forget how much you paid for it anyways, and we're not talking about huge sums of money. I have a hard time even remembering what year my bikes are. Ask me how much I paid for them, and I'd have to dig out my records.

Sounds like you are leaning towards this bike. If so, grab it, start riding and let the accessorizing begin. Or farklizing? I still can't find it in me to call them farkles, I don't have any of those things. Just accessories and after market parts :mrgreen:.

Edit: You know, I just reread your original post, and my apologies, I was speaking as if this was your first bike. Never mind me, you are likely as well versed in this stuff as I.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
If I'm reading list prices correctly, this came in about $8k new. Add $1,700 +/- worth of 'stuff' and the owner is into it for $9,700 plus TTL. This is actually sounding sort of attractive at the moment if it could be had in the $7k range. Hmm....

You should refer to the pricing sources that the dealers use:

N.A.D.A. Home Page

Official Kelley Blue Book Values You Can Trust From kbb.com - Kelley Blue Book

By and large, the value of the accessories isn't added in to the retail price of the bike; a bank won't lend more because of them, and if you traded the bike in, the dealer wouldn't pay more for the bike due to accessories. The value of accessories is that they make the bike easier to sell than a bike without them.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ok, for grins I took the listing above and went searching. The cost of all the farkles noted above is $1,690 and I'm fairly confident in that number based on using search terms of DL650 and the manufacturer part name. A couple items could waiver, but not significant dollar-wise.

As for the options and being desirable, seems like everyone is happy with the Madstap bracket. The items I like would include the fender extender, givi crash bars, centerstand handguards and cases are always nice. So that only leaves a couple inexpensive items out of the equation to include the laminar lip and dashboard shelf.

In simple terms, I think this is about how I'd farkle it out with the addition of heated grips, a bash/skid plate, and a port for my heated vest. That's about it.

Here's an image of what I'm talking about. Heck, I even love the white/black combination.

Dealers still have the left over 2011 (my dealer has a white one sitting on his showroom now) priced at $6999. and I think you can do better than that with an offer to him. Soooooooo what is a used one worth if a new one is under 7K. I know if you were trying to trade it into a dealer he would knock off at least $1200-1500 off the new one he has sitting on his show room. Hey it's a tough market when you buy a bike, put a bunch of shit on it and then want to sell it with low mileage. I still think the bike is worth between $7K-$7300 with all the stuff. Like another poster said most dealers won't add a dime to after market farkles unless of course they have the bike sitting on their show room and are wanting to sell it too you :jawdrop:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Yeah they do have them in Canada. In fact many dealers are somewhat stuck with them right now, because they won't sell the bikes alone without the bags, even though there is a higher demand for the basic stock model.

$7k seems like a very fair price. Those are all useful upgrades, so while I wouldn't be wanting to pay full price for each, they are still worth whatever you value them at!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I really need some help here on this thing...

I rode it and it's a nice bike. Smooth, stops well, ergo's are good and it has a few things I like. But I didn't get the warm and fuzzy's from the owner. As nice as he is, he just wasn't forthright in some of his answers and I'm somewhat gun shy based on that. It just doesn't seem right.

And this bike only has 1200 miles on it....

Looking at the bike, I found the following:
1) The Madstab bracket was mounted and the owner had to 'wallow' out a clearance hole on the stock windscreen. Just not too professional or the fit and finish wasn't just right. I asked if he had the original brackets and he pointed to a shelf where I believe I was looking at what was the stock one.

2) The mirror arms/stalks really were not symentrical. The right one looks fixed to the brake and lever so not much movement available. And the left one looks to be able to rotate around the bar by loosening one bolt? Would they have come like that from the factory? They just looked mismatched on alignment.

3) The left factory handguard installed by the owner was missing the little nut on the bottom side stud. The top (if it's supposed to match the right side with a round mushroom top) only had a nut on the stud and was tightened so much it drove itself totally through the plastic so it was loose on the top and bottom. No washer to spread the load or a mushroom round head like the right side.

4) I asked about the sprocket on the shelf of parts. He said that was the original and had been replaced by him. I asked why with only 1200 miles and he said he went two teeth smaller. Would that be a reasonable change?

5) Also on the shelf was a handguard. I asked if it went to this bike and "he thought so". I held it up and it was a direct match to the right handguard on the bike I was looking at. It was quite scuffed up as well. I then went to the right TRAX sidecase and felt the bottom. Sure enough, there were scratches underneath. Only then did he say "mirrors must have bumped and it fell over". He said he was "anal" about having things look good so he replaced it. The bar end was not scuffed but that could have been replaced? And the crash bars were not scuffed or the side fairings.

6) When the TRAX boxes were installed, a rear blinker arm relocation was necessary. The hardware looks good and I can see where they would have been mounted. However, there's a little thin plastic cover plate over the tail end of the bike. He drilled two holes in there, used blue and red wire and crimp connectors where the wires were totally visible on top of the plastic cover. No high-end connectors, no shrink wrap and certainly not hidden.

7) The license plate was held on with two of the reflector type sets at the top. The bottom two holes were both a bolt, one with a washer, the other one no washer and driven into the plate so hard as to deform the hole.

8 ) Expired inspection and license registration (about $85 bucks worth)

In your opinion, are these big things? The title is held by Suzuki at the moment, I've got cash. New 11 holdovers can be had for $7k apparently. He's asking $7500. Is this a sub-7k kind of value based on the above?

Here it is....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Little update....

I've passed on this one. Too many red flags and plenty of them available locally to not feel good about it's purchase.

Oil change three times in 1200 miles since new? I'm thinking stripped filler plug at the rate all the other items stacked up.

Thanks for the input on this one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts