StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm really close to making a purchase on a 2002 VEE with a couple of nice mods. 38k. seems to be excellent condition. due for a full maintenance including valve adjustment. rubber/brakes seem to have moderate life left.

seller is asking $2750. considerably less than the 4k bluebook.

any thoughts?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Does the seller have any maintenance records? If the bike was well maintained and the seller can show you oil change receipts etc., 38k is nothing. If he's been sloppy and not taken care of it, you could wind up with a lot of repairs. Honestly, I'd be wondering: "why so cheap?"

Check under the fairings for corrosion and dirtt, especially the upper fork tubes. A careful owner will keep the bike clean and not let it rust out. Was it garaged or parked outdoors for 8 years?

Check the chain and sprockets, some wear is fine, but if the rear sprocket teeth are uneven or show excessive wear, you'll need to get new. Pull the chain at the very back end of the rear sprocket, it should not come away from the sprocket.

Check all the fluids. The radiator overflow bottle should have clean coolant at the proper level. The brake and clutch master cylinder windows should show reasonably clean fluid.

If the bike has a center stand, spin the wheels and look for bends, warped rotors etc. You can easily see the brake pad wear, and the rotors should be smooth and not have grooves or serious wear.

RIDE THE BIKE. If you show up prepared to buy, he should let you at least ride it up and down the street. Some bikes of that era had a clutch "chudder" issue. It's an expensive fix, and there's no way to determine if it's there other than a ride.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
phoned in an offer at 2k about seven hours ago. i'm pretty giddy with anticipation.

bike needs a new rear tire, valve adjustment, throttle bodies, oil change, the works. plus the first owner put this weird matte black paint job on it that really isn't good, so... probably gonna have to paint it too.

i brought my 40 yrs motorcycling exp dad in to look at it. both of us noticed a stiff but not alarming clutch pull, sounds like thats standard. he said it was mushy, i couldn't tell. everything else looked really solid. i was amazed what good condition the tranny and clutch were in, same with forks, rotors and chain.

any recommendations where to buy side carriers? its got the solid back case, i'm trying to spend as little as possible tho.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts