StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I commute daily. As soon as I got it, I started noticing more people looking at me more often but I still wasn't sure. Then the other day I was sort of hidden behind one car while cars passed on the side of the road. Almost all of those people looked at me as they passed by. Score!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Do you have hi-Viz helmet as well? I switched to a hi-viz yellow when I noticed my buddy stood out with his. Eye is really drawn to the bright helmet even if vehicles in the way.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have hi-Viz helmet as well? I switched to a hi-viz yellow when I noticed my buddy stood out with his. Eye is really drawn to the bright helmet even if vehicles in the way.
My helmet is white and I agree they do stand out. I probably won't go hi viz helmet as long as I have my jacket. ....but I have no problem with the way it looks at all and I think it is a huge safety factor. I can see the hi viz guys for MILES, where, as those wearing darker colors, especially black, blend in with the cars fairly quickly.

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
I had on the Aerostitch suit and was asked at a stop light if i was in a flight suit. Flying low I replied, of course!
If the guys in the boxes see you, all the better.
I added bilious reflective tape to my Darien jacket and am happy I did.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
My previous ride before my new '15 DL650A was a '83 K75S and I had a "Halo" brand stretch band around the bottom of my HJC helmet...cannot seem to find them anymore to put around my new (Titanium)LS2. I have been applying some High Viz. reflective tape to my saddle bags, red on the back and white in the front and a few spots of the blue as well. I just got some yellow and was thinking about placing some of those on the lower fork legs and some of the white so oncoming traffic sees headlight and white reflective lowers. LED spots are in the works next.
This is all due to the fact that I do a lot of night riding coming home from work at 2am. and I know I will be seen! Last year, My company gave all of us High Viz. Flo yellow insulated jackets from Fastenal that have the white reflective bands all over them so that is working out rather well too!
I take some pics and post 'em....

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
"I had a "Halo" brand stretch band around the bottom of my HJC helmet"

I remember them. They were like a condom. One size fits all and after a use they would stretch out and fall off in the wind and rain.
Heck, everyone had one back then.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been trying to decide on reflective tape for my top case which is the pitch black Outback Trekker 52 (Not Outback). I have just had a hard time figuring out what to use. I want a clean look but still have some safe reflectivity. I want it to be bright and I am thinking some sort of caution red and black but I want it to be bright. As most of you guys know, that stuff ain't cheap.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I bought my DOT reflective tape at Lowes in the mail box area. They had packs of 1.2x5.8 of white, red, and yellow. I found the blue on fleabay and sent a message to the seller stating that I only wanted a portion of what he had listed and so he adjusted the price accordingly.
....still working on those pics

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have been trying to decide on reflective tape for my top case which is the pitch black Outback Trekker 52 (Not Outback). I have just had a hard time figuring out what to use. I want a clean look but still have some safe reflectivity. I want it to be bright and I am thinking some sort of caution red and black but I want it to be bright. As most of you guys know, that stuff ain't cheap.
If you do a search for "black reflective tape" you will find a lot of choices. Black by day / reflective at night.
It is not as glaringly bright as that search&rescue tape but it is definitely reflective. I use it on the frame of my SV650 and on the saddle bags of my V2. Not very expensive / comes in various widths.

·
Registered
168 Posts
A tip for my fellow Cheap Bastige's - if you live in a decent-sized City, go by the Corporation Yard and see the guys in the Department responsible for putting up/replacing street signs. They almost always will have a bin of scrap pieces of the high quality adhesive-backed reflective tape in the common colors like white, yellow, and red that they will give away.

·
Registered
569 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A tip for my fellow Cheap Bastige's - if you live in a decent-sized City, go by the Corporation Yard and see the guys in the Department responsible for putting up/replacing street signs. They almost always will have a bin of scrap pieces of the high quality adhesive-backed reflective tape in the common colors like white, yellow, and red that they will give away.
Whats a Corporation Yard?....lol

·
Super Moderator
16,239 Posts
That Solas tape is unreal, I once had a hi viz jacket, but believe the overall positive effects to be exaggerated.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I definitely noticed a difference going from a black and gray helmet to a solid hi-viz yellow tennis ball helmet. Current helmet is solid white, only because hi-viz wasn't available in that model.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts