StromTrooper banner

Pressureized oil sump? is that right? Thank you.

955 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  richw
Thanks for all the earlier responses in regards to the oil filter.

Here is my second question I'm hoping someone can help with.

I did my first oil change this morning (still haven't even put 3 miles on the bike) and carefully watched the sight window to make sure I did not overfill.

At one point I removed the fill cap to add more oil while the motor was running and it spewed a fine oil mist about three feet out. Lots of air pressure coming from the fill cap.

Is this normal? Part of the emission system?
After the oil change, there is enough pressure in the motor to actually watch the oil wash over the piece inside the sight glass. Seemed a bit odd to me.

Thank you.

Regards,
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
Downward piston movement increases the pressure in the engine cases and upward movement decreases it. Two pistons on the same crank cause some wild fluctuations in pressure and the crank and gearbox are really throwing oil around. What you see is normal. Don't take off the cap with the engine running. The cases are vented through hoses to the airbox to help relieve the pressure changes or seals would blow.

· Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Keep out of there while the engine is running!

There is also the clutch rotating with the crank just inside that hole.
Could have been what was flinging the oil.

You should also be checking the oil level with both tires on the ground, not on the centerstand...

...but the bike should be balanced to be plumb.

· Registered
7,576 Posts
At one point I removed the fill cap to add more oil while the motor was running
????? The oil level is set with the engine off. The running engine always pumps the window dry.

"ENGINE OIL LEVEL CHECK
Follow the procedure below to inspect the engine oil level.
1. Start the engine and run it for a few minutes.
2. Stop the engine and wait for three minutes.
3. Hold the motorcycle vertically and inspect the engine oil level through the engine oil level inspection window on the right side of the engine."

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the cap off to add a little more oil. I wasn't sure if the oil cooler was aftermarket and if it had drained fully or not. Didn't want to dump 2.9 quarts in only to end up draining some out. I had started and the bike and shut it off quite a few times to adjust the oil level, and it still needed a little.

There sure was a lot of air pressure swooshing out.

I'll check again w/o the bike on the centerstand, motor off.

Now I'm going riding...

Thank you.

Regards,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.