StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hope you're having a happy new year so far.

Mine has not been so pleasant. A few days back, I decided to take a look at the electrical systems a few days back and must have loosened the starter relay connections then, because I have not been able to start the bike since. I turn the key and the gauges turn on; the fuel pump cycles but when I press the start button I don't hear the starter motor. I was puzzled and left it at that because there were more other matters to tend to.
Today I wanted to give it another go. I pulled off the plug on the starter relay to have a closer look but found nothing suspicious so I plugged it back, then tried to start the bike again. This time, it sprung to life like nothing was wrong. I then realized that I left out the plastic case that goes over the relay so I shut it off to reinstall the cover. This time however, when I pressed the start button, I heard a rather loud click and the instrument panel immediately went out.I turned the key to off and on again, but nothing happened. All the fuses looked fine. What have I done this time?? Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I'm with Coach.

·
Registered
578 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Recheck the condition of the leads as they bolt to the starter relay because corrosion can build up under the leads especially if they are not tight enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for asking. There has been a strange new development. I kept the starter relay unplugged since my last attempt but decided to give it one more chance today. I plugged the relay back in and surprisingly they bike turned on when I turned the key. Everything looked fine until I tried to start it at which point something clicked and it died, just like last time. At this point I don't know what to think.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
You need to know what voltage your battery is holding. (sounds low)

If it is above 13 volts turn on the ignition switch and use a spanner to bridge the two big bolts/terminals on the starter relay, "there could be a few sparks" report back here what happens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You need to know what voltage your battery is holding. (sounds low)

If it is above 13 volts turn on the ignition switch and use a spanner to bridge the two big bolts/terminals on the starter relay, "there could be a few sparks" report back here what happens.
Are you sure that's a good idea? I'm thinking about swapping out the battery with the one I have on another bike. I'm also getting a multimeter next week.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
If your battery is good the bike will crank over, the relay bypass will bypass all safety switches so the bike should start.

With the relay bypass if the bike will not crank you have a battery or battery connection problem, knowing the voltage will give you the answer.

If the bike will crank but not start you have another problem that we can narrow down with a few more questions and tests.

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
Yay!
I just had a similar experience with my G650GS BMW. When batteries go bad it can be suddenly. SBD! Sudden Battery Death,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts