StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The DL650 is my first motorcycle. I've owned it for the five years that I've been riding.

Recently, I had my first track day. I plan on doing that a LOT more.

In five years of ownership, I've also found that I do NOT do a lot of offroading. Despite having Shinko 705s on it, I see little more than gravel and hard packed dirt. Zero water crossings. Zero deep mud.
First things first, is that those Shinkos are gone once I wear the tread off of them and I'll go with a more pavement oriented tire. I think a pavement oriented tire will still handle the dirt and gravel at low speeds.

I'll also probably be going down a tooth on the rear sprocket or up a tooth on the front, as this engine has plenty of torque.

What else can I do to push the V-Strom closer to a street bike? Can I lower it?

Don't get me wrong, I still like my V-Strom's features. The 5 gallon fuel tank gives me HUGE range to travel.
The removable hard cases are great for going places too.
The riding position and ergonomics are very comfortable. I can spend the ENTIRE DAY on the motorcycle and be happy. I don't think I could do that on a sportbike.

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
Several of my friends have the SV as their track bike. A little suspension work and they are good to go.
I'd imaging the DL would not make as good a track bike as the SV. You could make changes on the DL but it is counter productive trying to turn a silk purse into a sow's ear.
An ADV bikes is that. A touring bike capable of long distances and road surfaces. A street bike is less so.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I toured on an SV1000 for a few years and it was great at the time. It was my first modern bike, before I bought it I had only owned 70's and older bikes. I loved it because it was reliable and I could ride all day stress free, compared to a 30+ year old machine that would probably break down at some point on a multi day/multi week trip. I rode it on gravel and forest roads plenty, did 6-800 mile days, and rode it on multi week trips and it was fine for all that.

I don't know if I could go back to touring on it after a few years on the strom, especially with how much trail riding I like to do now, but I wouldn't hesitate to say it's probably more suited for your riding desires. I still have it and every time I ride it it puts a smile on my face.

I have superbike bars on it and lowered Buell pegs which are pretty key to making it an all day machine. I think I would even prefer the superbike bars on the track but I would swap the pegs back.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,212 Posts
Remember, a "track bike" is just that. It is NOT a race bike. While lap times are fun to follow, technique and confidence are the prizes. So, what would it matter if the SV or any other bike was faster? Very little, it would matter!

Instead, you have already answered your question. You find the DL comfortable, and a capable all around bike. The SV is.....less capable all around. Great bike, but the ergonomics are more sport bike tight. Not all that much difference in handling, both need suspension work to do well and both have crappy front brakes.

Yes, good street tires like the Bridgestone T-31 are going to be quiet, sticky, and long lasting on the street. They also do well enough on DRY dirt and gravel roads. Which would work on either bike. The 19" front wheel on the DL is happier on rougher pavement and terrain, yet I have done many miles of gravel on the 17" front wheel of my RT.

I am around several guys that have track bikes. While some take their everyday bike, most have migrated to a cheap track only bike. Buy something already...wrecked for instance. Take the lights off and have fun! As much as we would like to think we won't wreck, the facts are that you are running on your edge of skill on the track and anything can and does happen.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Both bikes stock, you'll have more fun ON THE TRACK on the SV and if you put a little money into suspension the SV goes ahead even further. One nice advantage the SV has over the DL is access to more sporty tires... Other advantages to the SV650 are... weight.. SV is around 50 lbs lighter... rider position is also better suited to sport/track riding. If you still intend to do touring, maybe look for a well used gen-1 sv650 as a trackbike and keep the DL as is.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gen-1 sv650 as a trackbike and keep the DL as is.
Eew. Carburetors.

But I'd like to only own one bike. How's the SV for long distance riding? It's not sporty like a Honda CRB600RR, is it?

·
Registered
795 Posts
I read your other post, and it sounds like you have found your (legal) drug of choice, and it is the track. If you can afford it, keep your Strom setup as a commuter/sport tourer. Talk to one of your new buddies at the track, preferably one with gray hair, maybe the one who loaned you his CBR 250, and ask him how you could get into track riding on the cheap.

He probably will know which street legal low CC sport bike would be easy to start with. He’ll probably know what was the coolest bike on the planet 7 years ago, but is really undervalued now. He might be able to tell you which bike(s) to avoid, etc. And he might even know someone who was all excited about track riding, tricked out his bike, and now doesn’t ride anymore.

I loved your other post. I’m glad you had such a great time.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Eew. Carburetors.

But I'd like to only own one bike. How's the SV for long distance riding? It's not sporty like a Honda CRB600RR, is it?
Well.. Spend a little more and get a fuel injected Gen-2 then.. there's plenty of them out there. Long distance can be done, but not as comfortably as a DL. The SV650S is approximately the same riding position as a 600. If you can find a naked SV650n, the bars are pretty upright, but no windscreen so more fatiguing due to that. Aftermarket windscreens are available, but aren't incredibly effective (or attractive) I've had naked SV650 and SV1000 and did 500+ mile days on them often, but you definitely feel it at the end of the day. If you sink a little money into the suspension, they can handle nearly as well as a supersport. The sv650 engine actually makes a good bit more torque early on so you can actually pull off at the beginning, but you'd get passed back pretty quickly and murdered on top end. If you ever ride 2 up for more than a quick spin around the block, the SV rear seat is pretty lacking as well..

The SV650's in the Twins Cup at Road America were running around 10 seconds per lap slower than the Supersports... and Road America is a long lap by US standards...

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Just to clarify, are we talking about a road legal bike to be used for street legal riding plus track use or simply looking for a track only bike? I make use of my Wee sometimes on track day, just for the hell of it but as pointed out, the SV650 is a better option.
Here at the track, most of these track bikes are no longer street legal and have a few mods. For track days, perhaps a smaller front wheel on your DL650 (https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-dl650a-2004-2011/415387-17”-front-wheel-conversion.html) and upgrade the cams?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to clarify, are we talking about a road legal bike to be used for street legal riding plus track use or simply looking for a track only bike? I make use of my Wee sometimes on track day, just for the hell of it but as pointed out, the SV650 is a better option.
Here at the track, most of these track bikes are no longer street legal and have a few mods. For track days, perhaps a smaller front wheel on your DL650 (https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-dl650a-2004-2011/415387-17”-front-wheel-conversion.html) and upgrade the cams?
I'm looking to own ONE motorcycle, as I currently do. It must be road legal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I Did it it works.

Yes i lowered my bike and put more street friendly tires on it and it works great for me. Let me explain, I lowered my bike 1-1/4" they make dog bones for it. you must do 2 more things 1 get an adjustable kick stand 2. you must lower the front to maintain the same geometry. Before you start let me tell you you can lower it 3/4" they make dog bones for that too and lower the front the same however no need to change the kick stand it works fine. Your steering will become quicker so beware. I will put everything back to stock if i ever sell it. FYI i have a 2013 VStrom 650.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm looking to own ONE motorcycle, as I currently do. It must be road legal.
As many trackday afficianados have figured out (or learned the hard way), it really sucks to wad up your street bike on the track... and then have neither... Another factor is that some insurance companies are getting wishy washy about covering bikes damaged at trackdays.. Be sure and specifically check that with your insurance provider before you get out there...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you must lower the front to maintain the same geometry.
I was actually gonna start by lowering the front by an inch due to swapping out for a 17 inch wheel.

I can't find any good tires for a 19 inch front wheel.

As many trackday afficianados have figured out (or learned the hard way), it really sucks to wad up your street bike on the track... and then have neither... Another factor is that some insurance companies are getting wishy washy about covering bikes damaged at trackdays.. Be sure and specifically check that with your insurance provider before you get out there...
I have a truck and a car for if the bike gets damaged... Or I can hop on CraigsList and buy up a new bike if needed.

Reason I want to keep it at one bike (or one type of bike) is that I'd like to train with what I ride normally.
Just like how I shoot at the range with the same handgun I carry.

As far as insurance goes, I'm going liability only on insurance.

·
Registered
456 Posts
There are a few threads discussing the aerodynamic lift of the dl650 fairing. General concern was with the possibility of tank slapper events occurring if going over 100 mph.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
A DL will do it, good tires and hanging off the inside will make it work. Personally I'd suggest Road-5's.

A track day isn't all about power unless you actually race competitively, it's about picking the right lines and braking points - and hopefully not crashing. Be faster than anything on a DL and you'll feel better than that guy on the R1 ;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
if you do lower the bike, you will need to massage the kick stand. I cut an inch out under the loop that's welded to the shaft - the loop we use to lower and raise the stand. Then I cut this loop so that the two halves mated and held the shaft in alignment. A clamp held the pieces together while I welded them. Voila - a shorter kick stand. Now I need to do the same for my center stand.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was actually gonna start by lowering the front by an inch due to swapping out for a 17 inch wheel.

I can't find any good tires for a 19 inch front wheel.

I have a truck and a car for if the bike gets damaged... Or I can hop on CraigsList and buy up a new bike if needed.

Reason I want to keep it at one bike (or one type of bike) is that I'd like to train with what I ride normally.
Just like how I shoot at the range with the same handgun I carry.

As far as insurance goes, I'm going liability only on insurance.
I understand your reasoning as long as you stay disciplined and don't get caught up in the moment & try to play with people faster/more experienced than you...That becomes increasing more tempting and more difficult to avoid as your skill and comfort level increases.

Seriously though.. Check with your insurance provider and make sure that they don't have an exclusion on trackdays.. Make your agent provide you with hard-copy documentation that they will cover your liability policy.....

·
Registered
237 Posts
I also echo the sentiment about getting a dedicated track-only bike. If you’re doing them often, you’ll get sick of prepping the bike (removing the mirrors, license plate, disconnecting the lights, etc). You dont need to register or insure it, but adding comp insurance might not be a bad idea. And yeah, it’s a lot easier to focus on your riding and enjoy the day when you’re not worried about crashing your every day street bike.

In fall 2014? I did one track day on my FZ6, decided I wanted to do a lot more the next year. Over the winter found an ugly but running 99 CBR600 for $800. (The bike in my avatar) Spent maybe $450 on new tires, fluids, brakes, chain, sprockets, made sure it was in good running condition, then did a bunch of track days the next year. The following winter I picked up a used Penske shock and rebuilt the forks with new springs for my weight.

A bike like the FZ6 would make a good combo street/track bike if you only could have one bike. It’s a middle ground between a super upright Vstrom and a sportbike. I had mine set up for touring with an aftermarket seat, full Givi hard luggage, handlebar risers, always got 45mpg mixed riding.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts