StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Stromtroopers, I need your advice!

In the close future I am planning to have a 3 day (1000 miles) trip in Austria.
I have no any equipment repairing a flat tyre yet. So as I want to avoid any bother caused by such an issue during my trip I would like to bring some stuff with me to be able to repair a flat tyre if it occurs down the roads.

I have heard some spray and also some other repair methods, and also some stuff you can use as preventing.

I would like to ask for your advice marking advantages/disadvantages, costs and experiences on usage.

This would really help me to choose, and would be highly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with the foams and spray-in materials, however I have read in a lot of places that they will sometimes cause problems with the balance of the tires as the foam starts to harden. I think some of them, the "Ride-On" product comes to mind, are supposed to make the balance even better but I haven't personally tried them. I usually keep a can of the foam in my truck for dire emergencies but have never had to use it.

I keep a couple of self-vulcanizing plugs and the tools to install them under my seat. I also have a CO2 inflator and several CO2 cartridges. It's all very small and doesn't take up much room. So far I haven't had to use it but I feel better knowing that it's there.

·
Registered
152 Posts
RIDE-ON

I was skeptical of the Ride-On product. It sat on my shelf for a couple of months before I decided to try it. This stuff works!

It did smooth out the ride.

I left a dobble atop my work bench. After a week, it was still liquid - consitency of a milkshake, hadn't hardend.

It does rinse clean with water leading me to believe it does not consist of harsh/harmful chemicals - inert. THIS ISN'T FOAM.

Whether or not it stops leaks, I hope I don't [have] to find out but all the testimonies claim it does.

This product in my estimation is better to have than not to have.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I have used the foam in a can on cars/trucks before and they are nice for a pinch. I always warned the guy fixing the flat about it since that is a nasty surprise when they work on it.

I carry a plug kit with me and an air pump in case I need it. I have had to on one occasion, and the plug is working great.

That's my $.02 worth...

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys the advices so far!

What about after the use of foam?
1. Is it necessary to let the tyre have repaired by a tyre expert with traditional method?
2. Doesn't it worsen the wheel balance?
3. Is it necessary / possible to remove the foam later?

What is a plug kit?

Is it possible to pump a tubeless tyre up with a handpump?

Would you please detail the types, brands me to find them on the web?

·
Registered
180 Posts
The foam doe not change the wheel balancing, but I would have the tire professionally repaired ASAP. Your mechanic will grumble at having to clean the gunk from the inside rim, but it is better than walking!

V.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Mokus

You might like what these people have to offer http://www.stopngo.com/
Slime also offers a very nice compact pump so you do not have to rely on the co2 bottles

K

·
0 Posts
I've plugged a dozen or so tires with the rope plugs and a mini compressor. I've never had a plug fail and never replaced a tire until it was otherwise worn out. I gave up on CO2 because I prefer to have all the air I can use instead of all the air I can carry.

·
Registered
177 Posts
kurt1305 said:
I've plugged a dozen or so tires with the rope plugs and a mini compressor. I've never had a plug fail and never replaced a tire until it was otherwise worn out. I gave up on CO2 because I prefer to have all the air I can use instead of all the air I can carry.
Rope plugs work great if properly 'installed', it seems like as the tire heats up from normal riding they sort of 'melt' into the inside of the tire, sealing the hole.

That being said, on trips I carry the perfect solution for a blown tire - a cell phone to call a tow company.

- Tom

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just to post a contrarian POV, I'm not a believer in foam sealants. If they work at all, they seldom work for long and when they fail you're screwed getting a conventional plug to hold. I'd have one along only as a very last resort.

I've always had the best luck with string-type plugs. Plugging a tire is really not a big deal:

+ ID the puncture and remove the nail or whatever
+ Ream the hole out very well
+ Ream out the hole with vulcanizing cement
+ Load up the plug with cement and plug the hole using the special tool which pulls the plug in and allows you to remove the tool without pulling the plug out. The plug goes in "doubled up" so there is a loop insde the tire and two ends sticking out.
+ Wait five minutes and cut off the excess
+ Inflate the tire and continue the trip.

On plugging perhaps ten tires this way, I've never had one not last the remaining days of the tour, sometimes several days and thousands of miles. A couple of gone several thousand miles until I replaced the tire. A friend's even did a track day while on tour with a plugged tire - not recommended, but he did it.

I've been with friends with the Stop-N-Go kit and it works slick, but the plugs often fail afterwards. I've heard theorized that the sawing action of the belts eventually cuts through the plug. I'm sticking with the tried and true string plugs.

On inflators, the lightest and smallest is 3x CO2 cartridges, but once they're gone, you're hosed. Also be aware that there are two types of cartridges: threaded and unthreaded and you need a special holder to use the non-threaded. Some guys carry a small bicycle mtn bike pump as inflating backup to CO2.

Just recently, I bought one of the "Slime" 12V electric inflators and and it works very well and packs fairly small. It uses the standard SAE inline plugs so if you have this plug for other accessories, you can hook directly to it w/o geting to the battery.

Relying on foam sealants without having the tools and expertise to plug a tire is skating on very thin ice, IMHO.

- Mark

E

·
0 Posts
Tire Repair!

You might go to a BMW MC dealer and buy the tire repair kit that is standard on all GS models, It is a plug kit with 3 air cartriges and is small and compact and easy to use. Or save your self some money and go to STAHL GRUBER (TIP TOP) parts dealer in Germnay and pick up one for half the price. Only problem is the TIP TOP does not have the fancy carrying case as BMW. Have a GOOD TRIP and say hi to Timmelsjoch for me. Bob.

E

·
0 Posts
Tire Repair!

You might go to a BMW MC dealer and buy the tire repair kit that is standard on all GS models, It is a plug kit with air cartriges and is small and compact and easy to use. Or save your self some money and go to STAHL GRUBER (TIP TOP) parts dealer in Germany and pick up one for half the price. Only problem is the TIP TOP does not have the fancy carrying case as BMW. Have a GOOD TRIP and say hi to Timmelsjoch for me. Bob.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you very much fellows!

I have ordered a plug kit, hope I will never have to test it.

From the "preventive-type" of sealants I found only the Slime product available here. Is that the same like Ride-on?

TomX
we will have a lot of cell phones with us, but I want to ride instead of sit in a towing car driving home.

Euro Rider

Timmelsjoch was not planned to be our target, but looks wonderful (checked the site). We will have our base in Villach, and Timmelsjoch is 300 Km far from there. Maybe we will have a look... :wink:

·
Registered
152 Posts
mokusbajusz said:
From the "preventive-type" of sealants I found only the Slime product available here. Is that the same like Ride-on?
NO! Slime is not the same as Ride-On.

Stop Flat Tires Before They Stop You
As tested in Rider Magazine! They put 9 holes in their tires ..... and kept on riding!

“Unlike aerosol roadside repairs and even slime, the popular sealant favored by bicyclists and off-road riders, Ride-On’s chemicals do not adversely affect aluminum rims. This is worth considering. Over 5,000 miles and a variety of driving conditions, I found no discernible effect – positive or negative – upon wheel balance or any other area of performance .... just a giant gain in a tire’s ability to hold air in the presence of sharp metal objects.”

Larry Grodsky, Contributing Editor – Rider Magazine

http://stromtrooper.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5853&highlight=rideon

·
Registered
177 Posts
mokusbajusz said:
We will have our base in Villach,
Small world...

Spent two days in Villach in 1991. My wife and two kids went to Slovenia (the northen most republic in the former Yugoslavia) to celebrate it's independence from Jugoslavia (my wife was born in Slovenia).

Apparently, the Serbs had other ideas and a war began (a short war, thankfully, for Slovenia. Not so short for some other republics). I flew over to retrieve my family and we stayed in Villach after departing Slovenia.

Anyway, if you get a chance, ride down to Ljubljana. Beautiful city!

- Tom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts