StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
As a recent (last month) owner of a 2002 DL1000 V-Strom, I was wondering what is the best fuel grade to use in my bike? The owners manual says to use at least 87 octance. (Regular) I have been using Shell Midgrade, an 89 octane fuel (with additives which I have heard are beneficial to a motorcycle engine). Curious to hear what you all use in your V-Strom?
Best regards,
ZenRider52

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Regular. You're wasting your money on anything else. You want to use the minimum that doesn't result in pinging. There's a lot more info on this site if you search, as well.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Shell is a top tier fuel. The additives in the 87 octane fuel are all you need and the octane rating is also plenty. See http://www.toptiergas.com/
If the engine isn't pinging, more octane is not beneficial. If it is pinging, something needs to be fixed.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Regular. You're wasting your money on anything else. You want to use the minimum that doesn't result in pinging. There's a lot more info on this site if you search, as well.
+1

SS

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
+1 to his +1, I tried Plus (89), it's not worth. Top Tier Gas does make a difference. At least in my cars, the Wee, I haven't noticed.

·
Registered
329 Posts
v

If you have removed secondaries, plus may be required, as in my vee. mine occasionly pings when running cheap regular, so I just use plus.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've only got 2k on my Wee, but in a few of the fill ups along the way I've had the attendant point out that "motorcycles use premium, are you sure you want regular?" I always politely point out "THIS MOTORCYCLE uses regular!" Yesterday the guy comes over, says "fill, premium?" I say "no, regular will do just fine." He hands me the nozzle and starts looking at the bike. After about a minute he ask, "Regular, hmm, what kind of bike is this?" Then he starts in about how all of his high performance v-twins run only premium. I continue filling, wondering exactly how many high performance v-twins one can by on a fuel attendant's salary?

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
You bought a Vstrom. Use 87 regular. If you had watned to spend more on gas you could have gotten a BMW or Buell or Ducati or Moto Guzzi..........................

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've only got 2k on my Wee, but in a few of the fill ups along the way I've had the attendant point out that "motorcycles use premium, are you sure you want regular?" I always politely point out "THIS MOTORCYCLE uses regular!" Yesterday the guy comes over, says "fill, premium?" I say "no, regular will do just fine." He hands me the nozzle and starts looking at the bike. After about a minute he ask, "Regular, hmm, what kind of bike is this?" Then he starts in about how all of his high performance v-twins run only premium. I continue filling, wondering exactly how many high performance v-twins one can by on a fuel attendant's salary?
Well, he was obviously referring to all the Ducati's, LC8's, Aprilia Tuono's, Moto-Guzzi's, Super-Hawks, TM's and SV's that come rolling through his station. DUH! EVERYONE know's those bikes.....

Because nothing else really qualifies for the "high-performance V-twin" moniker.

I had the same type of exchange with a guy who was checking out my bike during a fill up (I gave the guy credit for being aware enough to know I was pumping regular).

My response was "FI, electronic ignition, and manageable compression levels for a bike allow it run great on regular for the same reasons your Accord runs great on regular. I bought it to commute on, so this was important".

I'm pretty sure I witnessed a glimmer of comprehension, but you never know. I have my "glimmer of comprehension" down pat. I often use it when my wife is talking.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have my "glimmer of comprehension" down pat. I often use it when my wife is talking.
Can you post pics or a video? I really think that would make my world a better place.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
If you ride like a old woman one up in cool temps you can use 87 if you ride in high temps 89 or 91. Who ever tells you a 1k will not ping is pulling your leg. Also who ever tells you that if they do ping they need fixing again does not own one and or does not have it adjusted properly. I have yet to find one that will not ping in 100 plus temps in the upper gears, even third sometimes. :sifone:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts