StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a total failure of the charging system caused by a burned out stator winding. The bike ,a 2013 650 only had 20,000 km on the clock and this type of failure needs to be addressed by Suzuki.
I have reviewed this forum and this is not an isolated failure, others have had the same failure with less kilometers on their machines.
Step up to the plate Suzuki and do the right thing, admit the problem and reimburse the expenses this failure has caused.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Undersized and unprotected electrical connectors and wiring are a Suzuki problem that goes back at least 40 to 50 years. The world is absolutely littered with the charred remains of Suzuki stators and regulators.

They didn't give a crap then, they've never once given a crap, and I doubt they're going to start giving a crap now.

If anyone at Suzuki is listening: please fire the idiot in charge of the electrics. Go ahead and spend another five bucks per bike on decent electrical connectors so we can ride in the rain sometimes.

Seriously, it's hurting your reputation. The bikes are mostly pretty great otherwise, but they'd be even better if we didn't have to drop several hundred bucks on stators, regulators, and batteries quite so often. And personally, I'm sort of sick of spending hours with heat shrink, wire, connectors, and crimpers patching around your crap so I can ride.

You could at least knock a few bucks off stator prices... :grin2:

And while you're at it, fire the anorexic ballerinas in charge of spring rates...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right on Bwringer. More people need to complain to Suzuki. My bike is up for sale and it is the first and last Suzuki I will ever own.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
If you think other makes do better, Yamaha and Suzuki are rated one-two in reliability in the last survey I saw. Nobody is perfect.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes of course any machine can fail as you mentioned when the Stator on my bike self destructed several weeks ago.

The thing is it never occurred on any bike I have owned in the last 40 years.
First and last Suzuki I will ever own.

·
38,048 Posts
Plenty of charging systems on cars and bikes of different makes have failed in the past. That none were yours is more of a statement of luck than quality.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When the Kawasaki 300 first came out a problem surfaced with the ECU. Basically, some bikes would stall unexpectedly. After much talk about the issue on the 300 forum (and no action on the part of Kawasaki) folks started filing their complaints with the NHSTA at
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Shortly thereafter, Kawasaki decided to issue a recall to replace the ECUs.

I don't really see the difference between the Kawasaki situation and the stator problem. In both cases the end result (unless you have installed a volt meter) is an unexpected stall.

I'm not trying to start a war with Suzuki here - I think they're a fine company - I'm just sayin...

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have a K6 Vee and it has just, today, clocked up 60,000 klms so it doesn't have a hard life. No commuting, no dirt, regular oil and filter changes, regular maintenance. My stator failed at around the 35K mark and I replaced stator, battery and RR (with a Mofset unit) at the same time. The fuel pump failed the following week. An expensive couple of days but the Mofset RR is powering on and gives me every confidence while I can't get away from a "cross fingers and hope" feeling with the stator.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Suzuki does seem to not listen- I also have a DR650- the screws that hold the neutral sending unit back out and can cause total destruction of the motor-
theses screws have been left loose at the factory for at least 10 years- yet they do nothing about it.

The sad part is it would cost NOTHING for them to tighten the damn screws and maybe even splurge and put a penny's worth of thread locker on them.

BTW I have my Vee spare stator in hand already- that pretty much guarantees mine will never fail:smile2:

·
Administrator
13,366 Posts
Plenty of charging systems on cars and bikes of different makes have failed in the past. That none were yours is more of a statement of luck than quality.
I have a theory that Stator/Charging system failure is more likely in bikes that are ridden gently. It seems most of the failures I recall hearing of are people that seem to ride gently and not use the top half of the rev range that much. I wonder if a poll on that subject might support that or blow away that theory.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
It's funny how we all have different experiences with bikes. I've never been as impressed as I am with my Strom. 37,000 miles and not a single issue, the most dependable bike I've ever owned. My stator will probably go out at some point, I'm expecting it, I just hope I'm not in the middle of nowhere. I do carry a battery pack. Might even start carrying a spare stator and yes Suzuki should do something about it.

·
38,048 Posts
I hadn't thought about normally used rev range and stator failure. What occurred to me is normal voltage level. Maximum voltage before the R/R caps the top can range from 13.4V to 14.8V and still be an accepted value from most places I've read. The Suzuki service manual says between 14.0-15.5V at 5000rpm which I consider ridiculous. I've noted that at http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/105361-service-manual-errors-questionable-statements.html

I'm wondering if systems that run closer to one extreme or the other may be prone to earlier failure. Higher voltages may come from stators with higher outputs which could produce more heat. Lower voltages may occur because the R/R cuts off early and shunts more power into heating the stator. My last two 650s ran a corrected voltage anywhere over 3000rpm at a little more than 14V, right in the middle of the range, and never gave a hint of a problem. The 2007 did many miles out west at 6000rpm but the 2012 rarely exceeded 5000rpm.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
I hadn't thought about normally used rev range and stator failure. What occurred to me is normal voltage level. Maximum voltage before the R/R caps the top can range from 13.4V to 14.8V and still be an accepted value from most places I've read. The Suzuki service manual says between 14.0-15.5V at 5000rpm which I consider ridiculous. I've noted that at http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/105361-service-manual-errors-questionable-statements.html

I'm wondering if systems that run closer to one extreme or the other may be prone to earlier failure. Higher voltages may come from stators with higher outputs which could produce more heat. Lower voltages may occur because the R/R cuts off early and shunts more power into heating the stator. My last two 650s ran a corrected voltage anywhere over 3000rpm at a little more than 14V, right in the middle of the range, and never gave a hint of a problem. The 2007 did many miles out west at 6000rpm but the 2012 rarely exceeded 5000rpm.
If your theory is true GW then I might never have a failure as my voltage has never exceeded 14.1 volts at any RPM. My meter is connected to the heated grip connector if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My understanding is that just about every Japanese (and Triumph) bike uses Shindengen R/R.

If this is the case then other manufacturers should experience similar failure rates.

Maybe we should look at other bike web sites as a comparison.

I don't know the manufacturer of the stator which as I understand is the item that actually fails although people also change the R/R as a precaution. Do the R/R's actually fail?

·
38,048 Posts
R/R failure is very rare. I hope people are only changing them if they test badly or are going to series types to save stators.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
On my VFR R/R's failed often (I ended up buying a cheap one off ebay as a back up. I've had the same thought as v-tom in regards to suzuki's my friend has a gsxr600 and rides it gently, her stator failed. the previous owner of my vstrom used to ride the snot out of it and had zero issues with the stator. small sample size but i know many people do not ride higher in the power band.

·
Registered
74 Posts
On my VFR R/R's failed often (I ended up buying a cheap one off ebay as a back up. I've had the same thought as v-tom in regards to suzuki's my friend has a gsxr600 and rides it gently, her stator failed. the previous owner of my vstrom used to ride the snot out of it and had zero issues with the stator. small sample size but i know many people do not ride higher in the power band.
i ride my 12V hard and the stator failed at 10K.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts