Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Other (please elaborate)

Votes: 6 6.4%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my new (to me, at least) 2004 Vee for about a week now. I am trying to figure out where to put my Zumo 550. I have see several posts for windshield mounts that place the GPS just above the instrument cluster. This looks great, but how is it for useability?

I have temporarily mounted my Zumo next to the mirror on the left handlebar. While this looks awkward, it is very easy to use.

I am curious to see where other members that have GPSs mounted to their bikes have theirs, and any comments, good or bad, that apply to said mounts.

G26

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Centre of the handle bars with a Ram mount... right in the field of view and doesn't block other instruments...

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I went low budget on my 07 DL1000, picked up a $20 water resistant motorcycle gps mount and case on Amazon, cut a piece of abs waterline to length to go across the windshield bracket and painted it black. It worked great on my el cheapo Garmin 205W I picked up on ebay for $30. Riding to Billings and back last summer, it was helpfull to see my turns coming up a couple miles ahead. I totaled that bike out, so have to come up with a new mounting location for the 2012 650.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Centre of the handle bars with a Ram mount... right in the field of view and doesn't block other instruments...
+1 for my 2710 Street Pilot. I don't need it in my face.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a smaller hand held Garmin Colorado 300 that I use and it is beside my left mirror, easy to adjust it and easy to see as it has a smaller screen. I go with the handheld unit for Geocaching and Waymarking.

·
Administrator
14,055 Posts
Left side of handlebar mounted on a Ram mount. (In the past my old Garmin 60Cx and now my Zumo 660.) Easy to reach while riding, not blocking view of anything. To me way up above the dash seems an awkward postion to actually use it.

Ultimately there is no right or wrong, just what you like.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
To me way up above the dash seems an awkward postion to actually use it.
Depends on how long your arms are, I guess. What I like about that position is that I don't have to move my head to see it like I did with a handlebar mount. I can glance at it without taking my eyes off the road.

But hey, whatever works.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ultimately there is no right or wrong, just what you like.
That's true. The GPS is your tool for your convenience. I am not trying to find the right area, I was just curious where you all put your GPSs

G26

·
Registered
705 Posts
+1 for my 2710 Street Pilot. I don't need it in my face.
Same here. I like the ram ball that bolts directly to one of the bar clamps. My $200 GPS wasn't bright enough when it was mounted above the instruments.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
I don't like to be looking away from the road for one millisecond more than necessary. I also prefer to have the Speed Limit display near my line of sight.

·
Registered
15,830 Posts
I mounted a Ram Aqua Box for a Tomtom on the left handle bar and an old Garmin Street III on the right side of a dash board I fabricated. I like to compare the two so I know one isn't lying! Sometimes they do that.

·
Registered
813 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Depends on how long your arms are, I guess. What I like about that position is that I don't have to move my head to see it like I did with a handlebar mount. I can glance at it without taking my eyes off the road.

But hey, whatever works.

Mine is above the instrument cluster as well.

Designed & manufactured a mount from aluminum bar stock..

..& combined the custom mount (attached between the windscreen & windscreen mount) with elements of an inexpensive water resistant GPS enclosure..(Ebay)

..and added a fabric sun shade glare shield...also from Ebay

Nice thing about this setup is being able to use a less expensive non-waterproof GPS (Garmin NUVI etc)

..and the sunscreen folds down to camouflage the GPS..

..inexpensive & easy to employ theft prevention during stops along the way.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Also on a RAM mount, just off center on the handlebars (that way I can easily get to the keys):

·
Registered
103 Posts
gps mount

015.jpg above the gauges, easy to see

·
Registered
585 Posts
I use either above the gauges on my homemade shelf with the suction cup, or on the bars with a 99 cent Chinese Garmin bar mount.

I prefer it above the gauges, when it is on the bars pointing up, it is really hard to see, also you can keep your eyes on the road more when it is mounted up high.

Both of these mounts use the cradle that came with my nuvi 200

·
Registered
162 Posts
Installed the Pat Walsh Strombone gps Madstad mount with Ram ball above the instrument panel.
The Zumo 660 gps mount and Garmin supplied Ram ball adapter arm fits great and the display is easy to see and access from the saddle.
Positioning is of display is easy and performed when the bike is stationary.

Ray B.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
To me way up above the dash seems an awkward postion to actually use it.
?? I use mine by looking at it. Above the instrument panel in the lower periphery of my riding field of vision seems to be an ideal place. How far and how long do you want to take your eyes off the road?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts