StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I bought a '06 DL1000 in January of this year with 32K miles on the odo. I will be doing a group trip at the end of this month consisting of about 2,000 miles over 6 days.

Since buying the bike, I have done the following:

Valve Adjustment
TPS adjustment
TBS
New plugs
New Air filter
New Oil & Filter
New chain & sprockets
New front and rear wheel bearings
New Battlewing Tires front and rear
Coolant drain and refill
Clutch and Brake fluid replaced and systems bled
New brake pads front and rear
Installed PCIII and am using fuel moto map

Any other maintenance items I should look over before heading out on this trip?

The bike runs well. I have put about 3,000 miles on it since I obtained it and have noticed no issues that have not already been corrected with the above items. Runs great now.

thanks.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Clean or rebuild the clutch slave cylinder. One $5 seal and a bit of DOT-4, some TLC might save you a bunch of hassle, and it needs done occasionally anyway.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which Seal?

Part #24 on the fiche?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Part #24 on the fiche?
That's the one. There's a good thread over on VSRI for the rebuild, but basically just drain the fluid, disassemble the cylinder, clean and wet-sand the inner cup surface with 1500 grit till it's shiny again, replace that seal and viola.

The seal just sits in there, it looks deceptively like it's captured by the piston but it's not. Be careful which way it goes in, btw.

Easy rebuild, and it will keep your slave from costing you $150 by keeping up on it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, found the entire slave for $88 at Cheap Cycle Parts

Just in case somebody is needing one and stumbles upon this thread.

Thanks for the tips!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I guess I have done everything I need to do before this trip then.

Thanks for all the replies. :confused:

·
Registered
237 Posts
OK, I guess I have done everything I need to do before this trip then.

Thanks for all the replies. :confused:
Look at the forks. Replacing the seals and oil is cheap insurance.

Did you get any maintenance records? 32k miles and bought last winter without records would make me want to go through a few more details.

Inspect the chain buffer (rubber part that protects the swing arm).

Replace the starter solenoid. It will probable break at some stage in the life of your ownership and it would suck to have it fail on a trip.

Check the torque on all the bolts. I lost a front fork bolt on a trip shortly after I bought my Vee.

Get a spare headlamp bulb for the trip.

Ride your own ride.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Mine is at 31K. Did you do your own valves? Or did you take it in? I would love to tackle that but I don't feel comfortable w/o someone with a little more knowledge to lean on.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The only thing I can add is change the oil and filter right before you leave on your trip. I'd also check the steering stem bearings and lube/torque as needed.

Nice job of taking care of everything else!

·
$tromtrooper [belated]
120 Posts
Is there and Aggie sticker on it yet? :green_lol:

Ok, seriously, did you put a screen over the air intake snorkle when you had it apart? Cannot believe the amount of crap and bugs that I found in my air box and I forgot to screen it when I had it apart a couple weeks ago.

Have a safe trip.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Did you renew the rear sprocket carrier bearing when you renewed the rear wheel bearings?

Do the rubber buffers firmly hold the sprocket in the rear wheel?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine is at 31K. Did you do your own valves? Or did you take it in? I would love to tackle that but I don't feel comfortable w/o someone with a little more knowledge to lean on.

Yeah, did it myself. Jut follow the service manual, no big deal, pretty simple really. I may have the shims you need to as I bought a range of them when I did mine. Hardest part was getting the plug out to access the bolt you use to turn the motor. Had to chisel mine out and order a replacement. I marked the cam gears when I removed the cams, so that realignment on install would be a no brainer.

When I get back, maybe we can do yours together?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only thing I can add is change the oil and filter right before you leave on your trip. I'd also check the steering stem bearings and lube/torque as needed.

Nice job of taking care of everything else!
Seems fine. No play and smooth action with front wheel on or off the ground.

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there and Aggie sticker on it yet? :green_lol:

Ok, seriously, did you put a screen over the air intake snorkle when you had it apart? Cannot believe the amount of crap and bugs that I found in my air box and I forgot to screen it when I had it apart a couple weeks ago.

Have a safe trip.
Nope, not an Aggie, just live among them.
:headbang:

No, didn't put a screen. Had it off again a week or so ago running some wiring for a radar screamer. Blew it out with compressed air. Yeah, amazing amount of bugs and stuff there for being in such a short time. I figure if I start with a clean filter, and take it down when I get back, I should be good. May do the screen thing then though.

thanks!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you renew the rear sprocket carrier bearing when you renewed the rear wheel bearings?

Do the rubber buffers firmly hold the sprocket in the rear wheel?
Yep, all 3 bearings were replaced. They come together in the All Balls kit that way with new seals.

Rubber buffers, to my surprise, were tight.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Always curious why they put brake fluid in hydraulic clutches

any good oil would last indefinitely or dot5 silicone.

Brake fluid is brake fluid to prevent boiling but then you have the water and corrosion

I guess it saves them 15 cents.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts