StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually pre-load the shifter on my DL650 and Have no doubt this makes for smoother, faster shifts, but has anyone familiar with the internal workings of the V Strom transmission determined it does not introduce addition wear on the transmission's components.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Keep the preload to a minimum pressure and duration, the shift forks and drums are under additional stress during the preload. (they are not free to move) I would not be concerned about the additional wear if you have regular oil changes with quality oil.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
You racing MX or Drag Racing with your Strom?

Really, what IS the rush....?

IMO, Not worth the extra wear and tear on your shift pawls/shift drum, for shifting an already easy shifting bike [why bother?].......

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ok, I'll be the one to ask. What are we talking about? How do you preload the shifter and what is the result of doing it? Sounds like you are putting pressure on the shifter slightly, won't that make an awful gear grinding sound?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I'll be the one to ask. What are we talking about? How do you preload the shifter and what is the result of doing it? Sounds like you are putting pressure on the shifter slightly, won't that make an awful gear grinding sound?
Yes, slight upward pressure just prior to "blipping" the throttle, flicking the clutch and up shifting (takes much longer to describe than to do). No gear grinding or other noise is involved. Makes for a smooth shift, hardly discernible by even a pillion passenger.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I always pre-load when going from first to second. Much smoother shift with just a click, not the loud clunk I usually have.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I usually pre-load the shifter on my DL650 and Have no doubt this makes for smoother, faster shifts, but has anyone familiar with the internal workings of the V Strom transmission determined it does not introduce addition wear on the transmission's components.
Vstroms ar eno different from any other sequential transmission; preloading is evil to the internals.
It's been discussed before, but the people that say it's ok have probably never had a transmission apart.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I gave that a try until I accidentally allowed a premature shift with no clutch. That was enough for me to go back to shifting the way Suzuki intended.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I gave that a try until I accidentally allowed a premature shift with no clutch. That was enough for me to go back to shifting the way Suzuki intended.
Some people shift clutchlessly routinely and deliberately. I doubt it's a problem, but personally, I don't do it.

I used to preload a bit more firmly than I currently do; however, my oil analysis in those days never showed any abnormal metal content that would have indicated excessive wear, nor did I experience any observable problems because of it.

I think concern about this is overrated, because it sounds like most people who say they "preload the shifter" are really doing little more than taking the slack out of it before shifting. That's quite different from applying significant upward force in advance of the shift.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm used to pre-loading all of my upshifts from other bikes I've owned that almost demand it. It makes for a smooth shift and gives you the ability to shift without a clutch. Is it necessary on these bikes? No.

·
Registered
969 Posts
On my BMW preloading is pretty much the standard way to shift if you want smooth shifts and it's actually recommended. It took me a while to get out of the habit when I moved to the DL and I still occasionally preload. If I slow down my shifting the bike not to shifts nice and smooth. Since the BMW trany is like a truck, Preloading will never hurt it but I don't know about the DL trany.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello, my name is Tom and I'm a pre-loader.

It all started innocently enough.

I read about pre-loading in a Reg Pridmore Smooth Riding book and I got curious. I started pre-loading maybe once or twice a week. Then it became daily. Before I knew it my pre-loading habit was out of control.

Now I pre-load every chance I get when I want the rush and feeling of a smooth effortless shift.

But seriously, I'm not having any clutch or tranny issues and my ST1100 has 52K miles of pre-loaded shifting... I don't think a properly executed preloaded shift will hurt. If you're doing it wrong, you'll feel it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The strom can be shifted very smoothly and very fast without preloading.

I don't understand the need... What is gained? :confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe it's possible to put a small amount of pressure on the shifter without causing any mechanical problems and result in a smooth shift as well.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The FJR AE was basically doing it with the aid of it's ECU. I don't preload on the Wee , it seems fine without it doing it

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
My 3 remaining neurons are taxed hard enuff getting my pre-corpse thru the day.....not enough bandwidth left for pre-loadin'......but, I may try it!

·
Registered
93 Posts
The strom can be shifted very smoothly and very fast without preloading.

I don't understand the need... What is gained? :confused:
On my DL, smoother shifting w/o having to blip the throttle is what is gained. Been pre-loading shifts on all my bikes and never had a tranny problem. As noted by some, you are not really putting much pressure on things, just taking our the slack.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Well, I thought I was a pre-loader, but actually I'm just a de-slacker. It does, however, allow me to shift more smoothly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
To take this discussion up a notch, in addition to pre-loading the shifter I also only pull the clutch in maybe half an inch. Combining those two actions with just the right throttle results in a very smooth shift. And smooth has to be good for the mechanical components of the bike. It takes practice to get it right. In fact, I'm finding it a little challenging to get it right consistently on my new-to-me Vee.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts