StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Stromtroopers,

I'm 5'5" and 145 lbs. I have another 75 lbs. in my top and side cases. Getting ready for an extended journey and asking for advice on where I should adjust these settings. Will be riding mostly 2 land highways, some gravel, the occasional forest road and a fair amount of twisties...Thanks!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It's something you have to determine yourself. You want the loaded, including people, bike to drop both ends about 40mm from full extension. Then adjust the rear damping to your liking.

·
38,103 Posts
Make sure you are on the correct side and try it each way. If that isn't your problem, try penetrating oil.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotcha. I followed the steps in the Black Magic tutorial and that lead me to pre-load front at 5 (minimum) and rear at 5 (maximum). Full gas tank. No load on bike to get full extension measurements. Fully loaded bike to get second measurement. Can you tell me if this makes sense? I am guessing that travel is a function of weight and quality of suspension. If only weight, it would be simple...

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Slightly related to this, but what if my damping screw is stuck? I don't want to twist it way too hard, but even with the correct size but for it, it started to strip.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
FWIW, mine was stuck, then, literally, broke loose. Before I replaced the shock it would just spin freely in either direction.

·
38,103 Posts
Full gas tank. No load on bike to get full extension measurements. Fully loaded bike to get second measurement.
Full extension requires getting all the weight off the wheel. It doesn't sound like you did that. I can't imagine a complete reversal of settings at each end being correct, especially a 5 rear at your weight.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I believe I did get all the weight off the wheels - one at time. For the rear, I used a swing arm stand. For the front, I jacked up under the skid plate. I'm 145, but do have an additional 75 llbs. in my luggage. As far as the front goes, I doubt it makes a difference, but I have raised the forks about 5/8" from the triangle plate.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I believe I did get all the weight off the wheels - one at time. For the rear, I used a swing arm stand. For the front, I jacked up under the skid plate. I'm 145, but do have an additional 75 llbs. in my luggage. As far as the front goes, I doubt it makes a difference, but I have raised the forks about 5/8" from the triangle plate.
With a swingarm stand the weight is still on the rear suspension.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
With a swingarm stand the weight is still on the rear suspension.
:headbang: Think I will just set it to 3 and see how it goes...

One thing I forgot to mention was that I was on the front end, I was only able to get about 30mm of travel from full extension with pre-load set at 5 - minimum...more pre-load lead to less travel...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts