StromTrooper banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
15,252 Posts
GW used to say that the oil would be at the top of the sight glass when on the center stand. If there is oil showing in the sight glass you are good to go.If the oil is low in the glass, add some. It's not rocket science.
But, oh dear, what oil should I use? Low level fill up oil or some other color?
Original question, what is the difference? I can vouch for the early model. My 04 has gone over 100K miles and had only one valve check about at 80K miles. Rear shock got rebuilt and I rebuilt the left fork cus both puked the oil.
The bike is stout enough to survive a good wipe out and keep running with a few cosmetic parts replaced.
The Wee Strom is fine, lasts a long time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oil level has to be checked while the bike is upright and not on the center stand or kick stand. Makes checking the level really awkward when by yourself!
That’s where a cell phone camera comes in handy. Straddle the bike so it’s upright. Then, lean over with your phone and take a selfie of the oil window.

Reactions: MPRblue

·
Registered
20 Posts
That does make it a two person job to check the oil, which sucks.
Use your cell phone camera to reach down and snap a photo of the oil window. Or as someone else said earlier, use a mechanic’s mirror on a telescoping handle.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts