StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Check the oil with bike fully upright. I have never seen a centerstand that did not hold the bike upright. check oil level with bike on centerstand if it has one. other wise to do a good job of checking it you need 2 people. one to hold it upright and one to look for the oil level.
Maybe I've always been doing it wrong but I've never thought twice about pulling it off the sidestand from the right side, and while balancing it upright bending over to check the sight glass

·
Registered
114 Posts
Try it, there is quite a difference, at least with my 2012 with oem centerstand. Manual says correct procedure is to stand bike upright to check oil level.
I could see why the manual would say that, because not everybody gets the centerstand. I like using the centerstand because it virtually guarantees the bike is level, or at least in the same position every time so there's consistency in my checks.

I guess I'd have to see it to believe it. Any bike I've had in the past showed a negligible difference in window oil level when on or off (but level) the centerstand. Even my 2014 Vstrom 1000.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Method #1- Standing on the right side of the bike, I grab the throttle and front brake simultaneously and pull the bike off the side stand until it feels as close to vertical as possible, and bend over to check the site glass.

Method #2 - On the (SWMotech) center stand. The oil level will ALWAYS be somewhere above the window if Method #1 shows a level between the lines. If oil fills the entire window I know I'm not low, but I can't tell if there's too much oil.

·
Administrator
17,101 Posts
That's a used bike with 22k miles; they probably didn't drain the oil just to display it. :) Give it a try: put your bike on the centerstand and check the oil level. Then take it off the stand and check the level again. Different levels? On mine, the levels are noticeably different in those different scenarios.
I notice very little difference where I park in my garage, and I always check oil level on my centerstand......always have and always will.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Pretty sure Suzuki is figuring that the main thing is to get the bike off the sidestand to check oil...nothing else. Center stand is off the sidestand and plenty close enough.

·
Registered
238 Posts
What you can also do is after a fresh oil change, run the bike for about couple of minutes, shut if off. let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Take a look at your oil level through the glass window, either on the centerstand or by holding it upright. You'll know for sure the full capacity of oil since you just put in close to 3 qts.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I wanna see a post comparing the oil checking procedure between year models.
Especially pre11 & post11

?huuuuuuuh

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Having owned both. Is the same, pour oil in, check that oil is above the mark, below the top of the glass. Other than that, not fussy.

The later model is slightly better in that not as much oil mist gets into the airbox.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ummm...I just scrunch down and pull the bike towards me via handlebar. Oil comes up and OK I am good to go. I do keep it in gear so when I lower it back on stand it does not fall asleep. I really never thought about it other than making sure I don't drop it on me. I do have center stand and may take a peek when gassing up. How precise does the oil level need to be? If it is not overfilled when I change it. I assume if something shows up when level it must ok. Not so? kfh000

·
Registered
48 Posts
I put 50K miles on an 05 before switching to my current '12 Strom. I do like the newer one better. Slightly more power and about 10% better gas mileage. And I don't know why - maybe some fluke of the fairings around the gas tank - but it handles better in the wind than the older one. Across Texas & New Mexico, we frequently ride through 30mph winds in the spring, so I've had ample opportunity to observe this. And as mentioned earlier, the 12s come with ABS and also a little bit more instrumentation on the cluster.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Thank you all. Great info. I think I'll hit that seller up with a $2500 offer on the 06 and that will be my first Vstrom. It has 22k on it and is the original owner. Side note this bike showed no oil in the oil level window which really was a concern until I looked at the new 2019 on the show room floor showed no oil in the window. Whats up with that?
Welcome to the forum, mcdoro. My 2006 DL-650 has been a wonderful bike, and remains totally reliable after 14 years, 90,000 miles, and rides to forty states and Canada's ten provinces. I thank you for introducing a topic that was new to me, namely the proper way to check the oil level.
I have always checked my oil with the bike on the center-stand, and you can imagine that I have done a lot of oil-changes during that time. If I am over-filling the oil reservoir, I do not reckon that the small amount of extra oil is doing any harm.

Pause while an old guy tells a stupid story.
Many years ago, (when "Dukes of Hazzard" was a popular TV show) I was crouching down and squinting at a little plastic window on the side of my Yamaha's engine, and my son realized what I was doing, so he said, "Hey, Dad, you don't need a dipstick!"
I retorted, "Sure enough don't! Git lost!", and he pushed me over onto the grass.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The dealer in Carbondale ,Ill. has a good price on the new '19 650 XT Touring - $5199.00 . Yes , the Touring with bags , centerstand , handguards , crashbars , etc. . It's on Nashville, TN. Craigslist. They have $600.00 in "silly fees" ....still not a bad price at 5800 new........... If you're close enough . I think the name of the dealer is S.I.S. - Southern Illinois Suzuki ?

·
Registered
359 Posts
It's real . My buddy called and was given the $600.00 info.

·
Registered
244 Posts
$5800 is below the orig 2004 DL650 list price of $6495! (NADA sez $6599 but I remember it being $100 less when reviews first came out.)
Regardless... Thats cheap!

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I found a used 2014 here in Utah with 14K on it from original owner with Suzuki panniers, no trunk but I have GIVI that will work, has crash bars too, but no skid plate. It needs tires and has no center stand. It is in pristine condition and comes with an extra oil filter and synthetic oil. He wants $4700 and won't budge on price. A dealer here has a "new" 2019" for $6695. $8220 after tax and license and silly fees. 1 year warranty. I find I like the look of the 2014 better. Not too fond of the beak. I'm ready to go for it today, but was hoping for a deal like the one in Ill. Seems like bikes back east are way cheaper than here.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Seriously, what's the logic behind this? How is standing the bike upright any different than using the centerstand to check the oil?

It's not like the centerstand puts the ass end so high that the oil drastically moves out of the viewing window.
I won't claim to understand the logic, but on my 07 if I check it on the center stand and it looks good, then with both wheels on the ground it will look like low oil. The manual specifies to check it upright but not on the center stand, so I work with the wheels on the ground. That does make it a two person job to check the oil, which sucks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I think I found a good way to check oil on the center stand. I slid a 7/8" piece of wood under front tire, while it's up on center stand. That piece of wood puts the rear tire 7/8" off the ground. (I checked the rear clearance off the ground with a piece of wood the same dimension and it snugs in just like the front). Works great. Try it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Oh yeah I snagged a pristine 06 with heated grips, skid plate, crash bars, new tires, and other goodies I wanted for a great price yesterday in SLC, Ut. My first V-Strom. Love it! Cruising it home on the freeway I felt a weird vibration. Turns out the last owner when tightening the chain only adjusted one side, so the wheel was out of alignment. I realigned it and its purrrfect. That vibration didn't happen till about 50mph and got real deep at 70.
I like this bike alot better than the 2016 BMW F800GS I just sold. Cheaper insurance too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think I found a good way to check oil on the center stand. I slid a 7/8" piece of wood under front tire, while it's up on center stand. That piece of wood puts the rear tire 7/8" off the ground. (I checked the rear clearance off the ground with a piece of wood the same dimension and it snugs in just like the front). Works great. Try it.
Ya know, you could just make a mental note of where the oil level is when the bike is level, then check it again without the piece of wood to see what's "full" in the sight gauge.

I've done something similar with many Harleys. They used to say "check level upright" on the dip stick. I'd do that, then check it again on the side stand and scratch a new line on the dip stick so I knew where "full" was and never have to stand it upright again.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts