StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned klr 650 and recently a BMW f650gs. I'm looking at the Vstrom 650 and I'm curious as to the main differences between the models. i found a pretty pristine 2006 with all the panniers a nd trunk for $3-3500. I sold some panniers to a guy yesterday and he pulled up on a 2011 Vstrom and was obviously in love with his bike. Any feedback would be much appreciated as I have been bikeless for almost 2 weeks!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Pretty much all of the differences are small, it's the styling that's the biggest difference.
2012 on has a bit more power an slightly better fuel economy thanks to the Gladius motor (looks the same but slightly different)
2011 and earlier has a slightly bigger tank.
The sub-frames look similar but are just different enough that you need the right racks etc or they won't quite fit.
2012 on has ABS as standard I believe, earlier models it was optional
2007 on has twin plug heads, 2006 and earlier are single pluggers
2007 on has a different secondary throttle valve actuator system

Somebody else will have to chime in with more details

Reactions: Fox

·
Registered
251 Posts
My 2011 ran jus as smoothly as my 2012
All 2011s had ABS 07-09 it was optional
The engine changes from 2007 on are what makes the difference. I started with an 04 650 racking up 87K before selling & replacing with an 06. 84K miles later...the 11 came along. It was actually my favorite of the 650s with that 10% better mpg ...& the 5.8 gal tank. 300 miles on a fillup happened several times with a bit to spare. The 2012 tank holds 5.3 gal so range is less.
What made the 12up bikes feel stronger was the re geared transmission. Most folks jus put a 16 tooth front sprkt on the earlier bikes for lower rpm on hiways.
++++
Prices on the 1st gen bikes can be more attractive compared to 12-16 models.

If I hadnt found a smokin deal on a 2013 Tenere...Id probably still have the 2011.

Current bikes
2014 Super Tenere #3
2014 Strom 1000 #4

Ive owned a V Strom since 2003

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your quick response. There is a brand new 2019 available for $8040 out the door. I only wanted to stay around $3-4K but....

·
Registered
251 Posts
The guy who bought my heavily farkled up 36K 2011 a couple years back..jus sold it cause he wasnt riding enuff
$2500
It didnt last long

Theres a black 2011 with 11K in WI for $3700
on Cycle Trader

Lotsa bikes out there in the $3500-4500 range...

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I preferred my 2012 DL 650 to my 2006. I'm fairly short and the 2012 was narrower and gave me much better reach to the ground. I also like the ABS on and off road.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Or thing to note is that the Stroms between 2012-2016 were hit with the ugly hammer so hard that no aftermarket part can bring beauty to those models. 1st gen models and those 2017 and onward have potential, because despite being hit with the same ugly hammer, they were not hit as hard.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Your size could make a difference in which series 650 to buy....
Im 6'2" w/32" legs so the 1st gen is fine for me
One of my friends is 5'10" w/29" legs & he likes his 2012 650....however...he has owned a 2002 & a 2006 DL1000 before

·
Registered
187 Posts
Never ridden a newer than my 09 650 but it seems the fairings got smaller as the generations moved forward so wind protection might be better with that first gen model. Many members here have run older and newer ones and can maybe speak to this from better authority.
They've certainly improved over the years but in the 3-4K$ range, post 2007 1st gen with farkles sounds realistic.

·
Registered
176 Posts
For reference, just sold my wife's 2006 red 650. It was like new with 24,000 miles and nicely outfitted with Givi bags, crash bars, OEM heated grips. Sold for $3,200 but had to wait for the right buyer.

I could not tell a difference in how the 2006 and my 2008 performed. Still have the '08 planning to ride it to 100,000 miles. Do have 16 tooth front sprocket for lower highway RPM.

The first gens are nice and roomy if you ride long distance or pack stuff on the back seat etc. Best wind protection is on first gen, but not with stock windshield. Haven't ridden the newer versions but would like to for comparison.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
The 2008 and up models also had updated alternator.....more wattage produced, for aux farkles. I have been seeing some pre-2008 models with relatively low milage (25k-30k) in the $2000 - $2500 range. A 2009 model, 11k miles, sold for $2,500 recently on FB...….good deal for someone. There are "deals" out there. If this Virus crap lingers on into Winter, you might see lots of bikes being unloaded...…..

·
Registered
251 Posts
There is a double edge sword with that higher elect output....remember the recall on the 12-13 models....well my 2011 suffered the same malady...& I didnt even hook up extra elect stuff beyond heated grips.
I think Suzuki put those higher output bikes closer to the limits of the system jus so they could advertise the increase.

Oh...& I hadta pay for my new stator & reg/rectifier...a Ricks aftermkt improved

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all. Great info. I think I'll hit that seller up with a $2500 offer on the 06 and that will be my first Vstrom. It has 22k on it and is the original owner. Side note this bike showed no oil in the oil level window which really was a concern until I looked at the new 2019 on the show room floor showed no oil in the window. Whats up with that?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Oil level has to be checked while the bike is upright and not on the center stand or kick stand. Makes checking the level really awkward when by yourself!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Having just traded a 2008 wee for a 2014 wee2. I can attest that the 2008 was slightly more comfortable on the legs in the riding position. the wee2 had a more slight bend in the knee vs. the wee from 2004-2011.

·
Registered
648 Posts
New bikes on the showroom floor often do not yet have oil in them yet. Awaiting purchase then they do a bunch of stuff to make them read to go. Check the oil with bike fully upright. I have never seen a centerstand that did not hold the bike upright. check oil level with bike on centerstand if it has one. other wise to do a good job of checking it you need 2 people. one to hold it upright and one to look for the oil level.

RLBranson

·
Registered
647 Posts
That's a used bike with 22k miles; they probably didn't drain the oil just to display it. :) Give it a try: put your bike on the centerstand and check the oil level. Then take it off the stand and check the level again. Different levels? On mine, the levels are noticeably different in those different scenarios.

Reactions: om28

·
Registered
112 Posts
Oil level has to be checked while the bike is upright and not on the center stand or kick stand. Makes checking the level really awkward when by yourself!
Seriously, what's the logic behind this? How is standing the bike upright any different than using the centerstand to check the oil?

It's not like the centerstand puts the ass end so high that the oil drastically moves out of the viewing window.

Reactions: Big B

·
Registered
700 Posts
Seriously, what's the logic behind this? How is standing the bike upright any different than using the centerstand to check the oil?

It's not like the centerstand puts the ass end so high that the oil drastically moves out of the viewing window.
Try it, there is quite a difference, at least with my 2012 with oem centerstand. Manual says correct procedure is to stand bike upright to check oil level.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts