StromTrooper banner

Practicing In The Parking Lot This Morning - Might've Broke My Foot

3621 50
I was practicing well all morning with slow-speed maneuvers and, just before leaving, decided to do some more rolling full-lock U-turns. I drove back in 3rd gear to the parking spots that I use to do these, downshifting to 1st as I approached the first one. Only I wasn't in 1st - I was in Neutral and didn't realize it.

So I eased in at about 8 mph or so and delved into a rolling full-lock U-turn to the right. I had my RPMs up and clutch feathering but by the time I was exiting and needing that that power, it was too late and the bike was on top of me. My right foot was trapped under the bike and I had a hell of a time getting it out.

It hurt like hell but I checked it by moving in all directions and moving my toes and thought maybe it's just banged up with no broken bones. It was in good enough shape to fail twice at lifting it the (Youtube Robert Simmons Bermuda motor officer's way) and had to lift it by "backing" it up. My foot felt fair at this point but I could tell it was swelling inside my boot. Managed to drive about 5-6 miles back home and get my boot off. I might have some of those fine bones in the top instep fractured, or maybe somewhere else.

Leg Human body Wood Comfort Barefoot

I guess when momma gets home we'll have to head up to the hospital for some X-rays.
  • Sad
Reactions: Gert and PlugnPlay
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2022 VSTROM 650 XTA
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Your Suzuki dealer will have them or can get them. You may pay less for OEM online, but with shipping and maybe taxes, nah. Check up there at R&S, somebody will have one.

·
Registered
2022 VSTROM 650 XTA
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Nope. I walked into my little Suzuki dealer. It's Alamogordo - you've been here, tiny little place and their inventory after this covid (cough) is pitiful. They had one in stock (clutch) and it was a flat $20 plus tax. Something's wrong. 78 bucks is ridiculous
@Wee van Cleef 1000 W. Hwy 70, Alamogordo 88310 575-434-0454 I'm calling them now

EDITED

·
Registered
2014 V Strom 650
127 Posts
These bikes are heavy I found out if they get a little too far over well down you go. I have been through broken toes no fun. Hope all is better in time. IMHO emergency stop and swerve practice is more useful. However any maneuver skill done well is useful. I do need to practice lock u turns and take an advanced class. Get well you will.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's been one week and my foot is still the size of a small football. When they released me from the hospital, the PA said for me to call Monday morn to a podiatrist he listed on the discharge documents. I didn't. So I'm calling this morning, especially after reading @Smokey69 comments about the Jones fracture. Why isn't my swelling going down?

Off Topic: Nowadays, the Doctor is too "busy" (i.e. inundated with subordinate employees), so he sends a Physicians Assistant down to carry his message. Pisses me off.
My foot didn't swell all that much. I limped on it the rest of the day - but never even had to take anything for the pain. By day 2, - I had the classic red blood line where the break was in the bone - knew I was in trouble. Got the x-ray, and the podiatrist said, "nope - you go directly to the surgeon..."

Let us know what you find out when you get in to the podiatrist - if you got an x-ray at the hospital, you can compare it against the pictures of the Jones fracture. 5mm towards to heel and it's "just time". 5mm towards the toe and the chances of healing on its own go WAY up. But right in that little band.... it's a LONG road. It's been 16 months for me - and I can physically do everything, but nowhere near 100% on that foot. That part is permanent. And now I can't wait for the arthritis - and the screw to start hurting :(

Re: Doctors... Agree with you. Although, I'll say, I get MUCH better information out of the PA most of the time, anyway! My foot surgeon was a rock star, told me everything I wanted to know (which was EVERYTHING). Took time, and his PA was very skilled as well. That was a far better experience than the GP usually is. If you need surgery, ask around and find the one who is REALLY good. It's worth the time looking, and the expense (if they are any different). And again, if I'd have realized, I think I would have had him just cut the whole pinky toe and 5th metatarsal off. It doesn't do anything on the brake lever anyway ;)

Wish you the best. And I'll tell you, you'll wish it was some great bike destroying wreck... When people ask why you're on crutches - and you tell them "I fell over in a parking lot" (or in my case, I stepped off a trailer and rolled my foot), it's pretty anti-climactic. Make up a good story. And stick to it... Eventually, you'll believe it yourself!

Steve

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
If you have trouble finding levers at reasonable prices: Suzuki often uses the same levers across a variety of bikes. Check Partzilla, find your year and model, drill into the individual lever part (or assembly) numbers. On the right side, you'll see a Related Fitment section. My 2015 DL650AL5 levers also fit many years GSX, SV, and Bandits. Worst case, you could find OEM levers on eBay pretty easily and cheaply based on those additional models.

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
Yes better boots would have helped you, and me, when I spiral broke my TIb and Fib. I was wearing Gaerne All Terrain's....comfortable to walk in, protection against impact, but not much for twisting.

Generally in low speed drops, if you keep your foot on the peg, properly - ball of foot on peg, against frame/engine and toe pointing forward, you will not get it caught or crushed. It is still possible that the terrain will pull your foot off the peg and tangle it between ground and metal parts.

What would really help these type of injuries is a GS or Harley type of protection....that engine cylinder sticking out, or an elephant ear type engine guard. The engine guards on my DL have been good at protecting the bike, cool looking, but not so good protecting feet/ankles/knees.

Stepping off the bike as it goes down is good advice, but it requires zero hesitation and perfect timing. It is also a skill that is difficult to practice:oops:. I do applaud you doing slow maneuver drills...it is THE most overlooked skill set and it transfers directly to the trail where there are many instances that prevent you from putting a foot down because it simply won't reach.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm glad folks are mentioning that slow speed u-turns is a good and worthwhile exercise for balance/counter-weighting and control in general. I think doing those u-turns also builds confidence in being able to really control the bike. I practice them probably every 1.5 weeks (but probably should practice more) and try to practice them on the way home (there's a neighborhood I pull into on the way home just to make u-turn unless I'm just really tired). I cannot do full lock and it's not one of my goals.

Yea, look at me -- I'm such a good boy :LOL: -- well, no. I dropped my bike at a stop sign recently. It happens -- if you know how to pick it up, no big deal. In my case, I need to learn how to step off the bike as it goes down -- but I think that might involve practicing dropping the bike, hm...

I'm also glad folks are talking about riding boots. I wear these Columbia Sports hiking boots and I'm betting they would not protect me if my foot got pinned so now I'm thinking about some good boots. But I like a boot where I can just wear it and not have to always be on a motorcycle, so more to think about, etc.

To the OP, I hope you heal well and I hope you can tape that little toe and pass the course -- best of luck and good for you for learning how to do full-lock turns!

·
Registered
2008 V-Strom DL1000
98 Posts
Here's my thought process. I've been riding 2-wheel machines since I was a kid. Like most. I drove a GS650 around EL Paso for years, never giving a thought to slow-speed maneuvers or even the grave danger in intersections and elsewhere. I rode that bike with the same care as when you're driving your truck...normal. Never had to take a test and never even considered parking lot work.

But now.... now I drive with all the care you can muster or imagine. The low-speed stuff - full lock u-turns, figure 8s, higher speed u-turns (10-15 mph), emergency stops, 2-3mph balancing, all that stuff seems very important to me. During driving down the road, in traffic, in busy parking lots, etc., I can truly notice actual improvement in my skill and I attribute it to that work. But you're right - we rarely make full-lock u-turns, if ever. If we can't turn around in one sweep, we stop and do a 3 point turn. No big deal. I might be seeing the light as you did but I think I'll still find myself in the parking lots doing this or that.
[/QUOTEIt can't hurt
Here's my thought process. I've been riding 2-wheel machines since I was a kid. Like most. I drove a GS650 around EL Paso for years, never giving a thought to slow-speed maneuvers or even the grave danger in intersections and elsewhere. I rode that bike with the same care as when you're driving your truck...normal. Never had to take a test and never even considered parking lot work.

But now.... now I drive with all the care you can muster or imagine. The low-speed stuff - full lock u-turns, figure 8s, higher speed u-turns (10-15 mph), emergency stops, 2-3mph balancing, all that stuff seems very important to me. During driving down the road, in traffic, in busy parking lots, etc., I can truly notice actual improvement in my skill and I attribute it to that work. But you're right - we rarely make full-lock u-turns, if ever. If we can't turn around in one sweep, we stop and do a 3 point turn. No big deal. I might be seeing the light as you did but I think I'll still find myself in the parking lots doing this or that.
A Honda SL350? Cool bike. Yeah the practice can't hurt. I ride alone most of the time and as I said I can't pick this beast up by myself. If it leans beyond about 10 or 15 degrees it's going over, lol. So I limit any low speed stuff.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts