StromTrooper banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Once you feel a bike get past it's tipping point step off it. Let it fall without you. Low speed of course.

My worst habit is trying to save a falling bike especially a heavy bike. Years of dirt bike riding have me throwing a leg out to catch it. Can't help myself it's instinctive.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
When I was taking the basic rider course the instructor said everyone gets hung up on the figure 8 turn. He said he got more requests for practicing it and/or advise on how to do it. He would tell us that unless you plan on doing figure 8 turns in a parking space don't worry about. Yes, it's a clutch/throttle control thing more so than turning the bike in a small area bit its nothing to worry about. His advice was when it came to the road test focus on doing everything but the figure 8 well. That was if the figure 8 is all you screwed up you pass the test and get your license. After people took the pressure off themselves out of the group of 20 or 25 in my class none failed.

Since taking my road test I have yet to be in a situation where I needed to turn my bike around in a parking space w/o putting a foot down.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I seldom have to make a U-turn. Usually when I overshoot a dirt road I want or Being At One With Nature, and suddenly realize I missed my turn.
For me, the crux of the biscuit is "full lock" U-turn. I learned a long time ago that full lock while sitting on the bike makes it more likely that I will topple Only when I'm off the bike with it resting on my hip do I use full lock. to wheel the bike.

Virtually all of my U's are done counterclockwise, so I start out by turning the front wheel almost, but not quite, full lock; much better control at walking speed. Feather 1st gear, feet on the pegs ,keep looking over my left shoulder, looking down the lane I want to be in; not the opposite puddle, curb, parked car etc. This is important. Your brain is wired to take your body where you are looking, so if you are worried about hitting the curb or puddle on the other side, that's exactly where you'll be.

Reactions: StretchNM

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
I seldom have to make a U-turn. Usually when I overshoot a dirt road I want or Being At One With Nature, and suddenly realize I missed my turn.
For me, the crux of the biscuit is "full lock" U-turn. I learned a long time ago that full lock while sitting on the bike makes it more likely that I will topple Only when I'm off the bike with it resting on my hip do I use full lock. to wheel the bike.

Virtually all of my U's are done counterclockwise, so I start out by turning the front wheel almost, but not quite, full lock; much better control at walking speed. Feather 1st gear, feet on the pegs ,keep looking over my left shoulder, looking down the lane I want to be in; not the opposite puddle, curb, parked car etc. This is important. Your brain is wired to take your body where you are looking, so if you are worried about hitting the curb or puddle on the other side, that's exactly where you'll be.
And you can put you feet down as much as you like. Unlike the MC test where if a toe touches the pavement, you get a dinged

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Only I wasn't in 1st - I was in Neutral and didn't realize it.
Sorry to hear about your "accidental Neutral" mishap, get well soon (y)

p.s. now IF there only was a great ADV motorcycle that will NEVER - EVER surprise you with a ACCIDENTAL NEUTRAL ?

... good news, yes there is one available 😀 My Honda Africa Twin with DCT (dual clutch transmission) always in gear and (almost) never stall the engine.

·
Registered
2022 VSTROM 650 XTA
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Sorry to hear about your "accidental Neutral" mishap, get well soon (y)
p.s. now IF there only was a great ADV motorcycle that will NEVER - EVER surprise you with a ACCIDENTAL NEUTRAL ?
... good news, yes there is one available 😀 My Honda Africa Twin with DCT (dual clutch transmission) always in gear and (almost) never stall the engine.
When searching for a new bike, Honda's NC750X was on my short list (along with Kawasaki's Versys 650LT). I was seriously considering the DCT model. I scratched the Africa Twin from the list because of price and economy, and because I thought it might be too much bike for a returning rider so long out of practice and experience. I'd consider it seriously now, though, rather than going for the meek 750.

But, in reality, this should never have happened. I was aware of the dangers of missing 1st when gearing down, and even missing 2nd in traffic (with Neutral as the "miss"). I had just had a great morning practice doing all sorts of maneuvers, including rolling full-lock U-turns, and I was just a little too cocky and not paying close enough attention.

I'm paying for it now. The pain and lack of mobility today are my dues. I may forego full-lock maneuvers from here on out. Maybe not. Maybe. Probably. We'll see.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Oucha! sorry to read about your miss-hap. When I was 10-15 years younger I use to practice hanging a tight left in a single parking spot on my ST1100...ha, never did achieve that but was pretty close one time but dumped it and it cost me a couple $100 to fix the the broken tupperware....soooo we are now pretty satisfied just to hang a U on a double lane road with the DL. I get that practice that about once a month when I run up on a blocked RR crossing.
Hope all works out for you Stretch, be well, be safe
EJ

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
@StretchNM

Hope you heal up soon. Sorry to hear about this. What kind of boots were you wearing? I just bought my first pair of motorcycle boots and am wondering if they're going to save my foot when this happens to me!
If they look like something like these, they should do the job,...they offer the best protection for your legs
Sports gear Sports equipment Outdoor shoe Automotive tire Personal protective equipment

I have a pair of Alpine mx6 , they're ok for street, but they wouldn't provide nearly as good of a protection
Shoe Outdoor shoe Sportswear Font Electric blue

·
Registered
2022 VSTROM 650 XTA
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
@StretchNM

Hope you heal up soon. Sorry to hear about this. What kind of boots were you wearing? I just bought my first pair of motorcycle boots and am wondering if they're going to save my foot when this happens to me!
Thanks JTUP. I was wearing Under Armor boots which are not the best protection (similar to these https://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour...cphy=9030718&hvtargid=pla-1261025862697&psc=1)
They are very light and in fact suffered a small cut in the boot fabric at the big toe. I have other heavier duty work boots but I just happened to be using those that day. I certainly do need some motorcycle boots like @Dado8 shows designed to protect, especially on days doing slow maneuver practice.

@ERockJL The V-Strom is more than capable of doing full-lock turns and U-turns. I do it always with both panniers on and always thought that, once I was completely comfortable doing slow rolling U-turns (full lock of course), I would load the panniers and rear of the bike with gear, and continue practicing. Why? I don;t know other than a quest for complete proficiency. As @PerazziMx14 and @Motorpsychology said or inferred, WHY do we need to do full-lock U-turns? So I'm in a re-evaluation process while I'm on the mend. Maybe I'll continue the slow maneuver practicing and forego the full-lock stuff.

·
Registered
2022 VSTROM 650 XTA
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
On the subject of boots and protection, I like those Alpinestars mx6 and I also like their Ridge v2 WP model. They have a shorter shank Alpinestars Ridge v2 WP Boots - RevZilla
I'm a low-profile guy - a primer gray type person, so gloves and boots have to be reserved in design and color for me. Protection and functionality is what I'll be looking for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
All this pain and swelling in the foot and it's a BROKEN LITTLE TOE! It's at the base so this will cause some pain in the entire foot for a while, they say.
I hope it is actually the toe and not the 5th metatarsal (the base bone of the little toe - right where the little spur in the outside of your foot is. If broken back there - it is called a "Jones Fracture". Did that last year - and the only way it heals is to get either a screw or clamp installed (or, now that I've lived it - I would have had the pinky toe removed...) After surgery to put a screw in, it was 12 weeks to get off crutches, and another 4 before I could get back on it for real. There was enough atrophy that I couldn't even stand on my toes on that foot - just didn't do anything. 6 months before I was "allowed" back on the bike. All for a stupid pinky toe! Like I said, if I'd have known, I'd have had the whole thing removed and lived with 4 toes... It would have healed faster, and I'd have the same balance problems I do now (little feeling in that toe)

Hope it is just the front part of the toe and you have a rapid and complete recovery!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hope you heal soon!
I broken my little toe as I accidentally kicked the leg of chair .. I just taped it to the next toe it will eventually stop hurting.
About falling ... I have to do tight u-turns every once in a while, specially when riding in unfamiliar places, but I do not mind putting my feet down and doing a 3 point u-turn, I prefer that than having to pick up the bike.
I have fallen down when stopped in tight spots thinking the bike is in gear and it reverted to neutral
also fallen down practicing u-turns and not realizing I'm in 3rd gear and the engine stalls in mid turn as I release the clutch
plus many other situations
I had the v-strom on the ground more times that I can remember always while doing slow maneuvers, I traded it for a triumph tiger, and this is no longer a problem.
In summary I'm to small for the v-strom

·
Registered
2022 VSTROM 650 XTA
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hope you heal soon!
I broken my little toe as I accidentally kicked the leg of chair .. I just taped it to the next toe it will eventually stop hurting.
I broke my left tow 22 years ago by running into a furniture leg and leaving my left little tow pointing out 90 degrees (or very close to it) from my foot. I pushed it back in with some muffled screaming then, just like you did - taped it to the others. My next door neighbor was a nurse practitioner. I called her and she said that's about the best you can do but an x-ray at the hospital is better. I never went and eventually it healed to 100% as far as I can tell.

·
Premium Member
2013 Wee-Strom
388 Posts
So how long until you are back in the saddle?

I'm going to get some serious riding boots after ingesting this thread. Thx to all who posted about boots. Right now, I'm wearing heavy hiking chukkas or some old spindly combat boots.

I laid my bike down yesterday. Low speed coming to a stop. I was examining a ranch complex a valley over and wasn't paying any attention. Next thing you know, she wants to go down to the right. This is after installing a bar riser, so the ergonomics were different and that may have been a factor. My spider sense kicked in and I just ejected myself from the situation. Something banged my right calf, but no bruising or anything at all. A young good 'ol boy (East Mtns) appeared immediately from his pickem up truck and helped me lift Wilma back up. The end of the brake lever snapped off, but the lever was still functional. Rode home, scolding myself with 'don't do that again you @%^&!'

After the spill, when I tried to restart...nogo. Then I noticed Wilma didn't know what gear she was in. Instead of the gear number displayed, there was just a dash. I clutched and banged around on the shift lever, a 1 appeared on the display, and away I went.

·
Registered
2022 VSTROM 650 XTA
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I laid my bike down yesterday. Low speed coming to a stop. I was examining a ranch complex a valley over and wasn't paying any attention. Next thing you know, she wants to go down to the right. This is after installing a bar riser, so the ergonomics were different and that may have been a factor. My spider sense kicked in and I just ejected myself from the situation. Something banged my right calf, but no bruising or anything at all. A young good 'ol boy (East Mtns) appeared immediately from his pickem up truck and helped me lift Wilma back up. The end of the brake lever snapped off, but the lever was still functional. Rode home, scolding myself with 'don't do that again you @%^&!'
Glad you're ok, Andy. I've done that a few times - got away from the bike once I realized I can't stop it's downward momentum. This particular instance was different than all the others. It happened so fast and the nature of my practice combined with inattention left my foot down there where it should not have been.

One thing - OEM clutch and brake levers are stocked at your dealers up there, AND... they should not be more than $20. I know - I replaced a bent clutch lever from one fall (Harley biker again!, on the spot like magic, helped me lift the bike) and my dealer had one for 20. OEM.

So how long until you are back in the saddle?
I'm going to get some serious riding boots after ingesting this thread. Thx to all who posted about boots. Right now, I'm wearing heavy hiking chukkas or some old spindly combat boots.
It's been one week and my foot is still the size of a small football. When they released me from the hospital, the PA said for me to call Monday morn to a podiatrist he listed on the discharge documents. I didn't. So I'm calling this morning, especially after reading @Smokey69 comments about the Jones fracture. Why isn't my swelling going down?

Off Topic: Nowadays, the Doctor is too "busy" (i.e. inundated with subordinate employees), so he sends a Physicians Assistant down to carry his message. Pisses me off. It's now the way of medical practice emboldened and possibly structured by the "Affordable Care Act", which isn;t affordable at all and will become more and more unaffordable as each day passes. Ok, enough, or I'll go full-Newman on you guys and need Kramer to stop me.

Anyway, I really don;t know when I'll be able to ride again, but I will say that, while I always wear an above-ankle boot when riding, I'm going to invest in some more protective gear as in posts above. I say again: There is NO DOUBT in my mind that the "parking lot work" I do, as found on youtube and elsewhere, has dramatically improved my riding skills while just kicking down Main Street and turning wherever. Those of you that practice those low-speed maneuvers will agree with me 100%, I am certain. My fall was a fluke - a combination of cockiness, arrogance, and inattention, but I still want more protection on my feet and ankles. We can;t insulate ourselves completely, but I;m gettin' some dedicated boots!

·
Premium Member
2013 Wee-Strom
388 Posts
Hopefully a Nerf football and not a junior football!

Always do what the Doc says. Well 99% of the time. I have 'Fellows' at UNM that can be inept. They are MDs with little experience. They can be dangerous.

I refuse appts with PAs or anyone but an MD. It's a waste of time.

What place has the lever for $20? I ordered an ebay one for $19 but would like stock Suzuki. Also, I filed the rough edges on the old lever and I kind of like the shorty feel. I may ride today.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts